Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | ICOM IC-2710H Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-2710H
ICOM IC-2710H Reviews: 12 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: It is a VHF/UHF Full duplex Dual Band FM Transceiver.
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-2710H.

KB5HAV Rating: 0/5 Nov 19, 2001 13:21 Send this review to a friend
Terrible Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Unlike the review below, my dad and bought the 2710H at the same time. Right out of the box, the mic audio is extremely hot. Icom said that this was a commom complaint from many. They offered to repair the microphone by changing the value of one of the resistors in it if I sent them the mic. They also offered to send me the new resistor for me to change myself. I went that route.

The next week I received the parts. I had to look hard to find them. I've seen surface mount resistors before, but not this small. It is like trying to solder a spec of dust.

After replacing the resistor, the mic was not quite as hot, be still, too loud. For mobile use, it picks up background noise like crazy. I modified a Kenwood mobile hand mic for the 2710 and that made all the difference.

Next problem, intermod. This radio loves intermod. I have placed numerous intermod filters inline with this radio, all to no avail. I truly believe that this is the worse radio Icom ever made. I am happy to see them drop it from production. I haven't the heart to sell it to another ham. Absolute piece of junk

I have an Icom IC-2000H that is used for mobile, Packet Radio, and APRS as well as an IC-2GXAT handheld. These have worked flawlessly for 6 years. These, I can highly recommend.

Best Regards,
Bobby
KB5HAV

K1FDH Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2001 17:54 Send this review to a friend
Best Dual Band Ever  Time owned: more than 12 months
The IC-2710H is the best 2m/440 Dual Band radio I've owned or tried. It is simple to operate and is full featured.

It does the usual range of normal functions plus V/V and U/U operation that the new 2800 doesn't do according to other reviews. I use it regularly in the V/V mode to talk on 2M on the main band, while scanning other memory channels on VHF Public Service and Marine channels.

It has Extended Rcv from 118-174Mhz with normal restrictions for Tx. After much delay from Icom, I finally got info on Cross Band Full Duplex operation and REMOTE Control Operation! You can remotely control this radio from a HT! None of this info is in the manual!!@@??

Great radio....shame Icom apparently quit making it in favor of the newer 2800 with all it's color screens, but lack of V/V, U/U features.
Anyone has a IC-2710H they would like to sell let me know!
Email: morrisrc@worldnet.att.net