Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Sony SW100S Receiver Help

Reviews Summary for Sony SW100S Receiver
Sony SW100S Receiver Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $399.95
Description: Miniature portable shortwave receiver

You can write your own review of the Sony SW100S Receiver.

KJ4NWZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2011 14:17 Send this review to a friend
Mini Titan! Tour Du Force!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my Sony ICF-100S new for $360 in early 2003 and it's been a winner ever since. It's been out of production for a few years but I have seen some folks hawking it as "new" on eBay for twice as much.

It's bullish on battery power so I generally stock up on a good supply of AAs. The AN-100A was a winner too but it failed after a while and I replaced it with the Sony AN-LP1 loop active indoor antenna years ago. Still going strong.

Recently the battery compartment lid broke under stress and I lamented on not being able to use the radio. I flirted with the idea of buying another one from eBay but the prices are nothing short of extortion "maximus". I found a little metal clamp in my toolbox that saved me a wad of money to fix the lid. The clamp keeps the battery lid closed on the outside, the radio now works and I'm happy on the inside.

RADIOLOVE Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2008 21:57 Send this review to a friend
Greatest unique minature portable and made in Japan Quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
One of the best and most unique smallest pocket SW ever made. This is a classic and a collectors piece. I travel around the world with it and love the reliability and the technology ahead of it's time it represents. Too bad most manufactures today are just focused on lowering costs and building cheap junk in China. This is a high quality superior built made in Japan radio that will go down in history as the most sophisticated pocket radio ever made. Too bad Sony discontinued yet another excellent SW radio.

KQ4KK Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2007 04:59 Send this review to a friend
A Classic  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought one when they first came out. Not a 2001 but for its size can almost beat a 2001. Used it riding on a train 3 hours a day for 2 years. The ribbon cable broke. Ordered one from SONY and replaced it. Last year I found out that SONY has a complete repair/mod kit to fix the ribbon cable problem. Includes a new top cover, ribbon cables and such that solve the clearance probleme that was cutting the ribbon. Works great now. SYNC has worked OK since I bought it. A keeper.

OE3SGU Rating: 4/5 Oct 15, 2006 08:14 Send this review to a friend
Good but to expensive  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had this Receiver for about a year and it was a very good travel companion. Very light and small and a decent reception. The only downside in my opinion was the very high price in Europe compared to bigger and better units.

N1YYH Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2006 11:45 Send this review to a friend
Still one of a kind!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Still a wonderful shortwave radio after more than ten years! I owned the early version, which had a few problems with sync alignment, and now own a current (likely last production) version, which does not have ANY sync issues. Splendid radio! And, that's without the "S" model active antenna. One word of caution: If you plan to enjoy the radio in the future, order a spare (or two) ribbon cable, the weak point of this radio. They were available still, in recent months, but there is no guarantee for the future. A broken ribbon cable could permanently sideline an otherwise exemplary shortwave radio. Since I have two spare cables, mine will will be a keeper!!!

2E0AYQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2006 13:22 Send this review to a friend
A mini marvel  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have recentley purchased one.Here in the uk
the active ant and power supply are not suppiled
with the reciever it is the sw100e.
I think it is great. ideal if you travel butI also
use it at home.
don't be put off by its small size they say good things come in small packages.
this receiver performs flawlessly I think that
the audio is good outstanding through headphones
I picked up several stns in the states and
canada with just the telescopic ant.
it is very well made full sw lw mw fm coverage
fm stereo through the headphones
lsb usb cw modes also syncronos am which works a
lot better than the sync on my expensive com reciever
25 memories
Sony discontinued it several years ago but if you shop around you can still buy a new one here in the uk at a much reduced price 149

GEIIM Rating: 4/5 Jun 10, 2004 12:05 Send this review to a friend
Good Reception - too small & AC makes Noise  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very nice receiver, with good performance. The AC adaptor makes too much noise, radio is quiet when running on batteries.

The controls are small and a little difficult to use. The speaker is too tinny and though it's a very good speaker, it lacks the oomph necessary to make the sound enjoyable. If you are travelling, this is the radio to bring, but I wouldn't use it on a regular basis.

SWL377 Rating: 3/5 Feb 5, 2004 15:37 Send this review to a friend
One major problem  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have one major complaint about this radio: MICROPHONICS. The radio is sensitive to movement or acceleration (changes freq if mechanically accelerated, eg tapped or hit) and if the speaker is turned up loud, the radio gets a sort of acoustic feedback caused FM that wrecks SSB reception. I returned one set and the second haad exactly the same problem. Using headphones solves it, but I like being able to listen to a spkr. Too bad Sony didnt make this a QRP xcvr. Most of the cktry is already there. The radio is an amazing piece of engineering, TINY, full of features and reasonably priced. Hopefully they have solved the microphonic problem. I sold my SW 100 eventually because of this annoying fault.

G7VAK Rating: 4/5 Mar 10, 2002 10:41 Send this review to a friend
Good Portable RX  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have the SW100E version. It performs well from a 30 foot antenna strung up at work. The unit is neat and easy to use although I did not like the portable wire antenna that was supplied with it. The manner in which it clips to the antenna is particularly poor. The active antenna socket on the LH side has circa 3v DC on it so has to be capacitively decoupled [I use 470nF which works fine]to allow the antennae systems that I particulary like, including a loop; hence the decoupling.
The tuning is fiddly but there are 10 pushes of the two centre buttons to move a whole kHz and so on. The memory is configured logically and is also easy to use. It is easy to forget the mode that you are in or use the wrong setting, but familiarity corrects that.
The tape output is dependent on volume control setting [!!!!]which is a great pity. If you remember the small speaker and the somewhat non-linear action of the volume control good audio is possible although I prefer headphones and it is here that the tone selection switch comes into its own. The missing item is an S meter. A good receiver, but not great!

NI0C Rating: 4/5 Mar 4, 2002 16:07 Send this review to a friend
Great, but not flawless  Time owned: more than 12 months
Like WI2Q, I use mine as a nightstand radio. I leave the case open most of the time to minimize wear and tear on the ribbon cable. I don't take it with me on trips anymore, since the telescoping antenna broke off the active antenna box (again due to fatigue). Fortunately I was able to repair the active antenna with a drop of epoxy. Another peculiarity of this radio is a noticeable transient oscillation when the wake-up timer turns on a station that is programmed with the synchronous detector. It sounds like the PLL searching for a lock. Bottom line is it is loaded with features in a tiny package, but it is somewhat fragile. Now when I travel I take along my Icom R-3. Time will tell how that one holds up. Of course, the R-3 doesn't have SSB/CW, nor is it as sensitive on HF.