Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Sony SW100S Receiver Help

Reviews Summary for Sony SW100S Receiver
Sony SW100S Receiver Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $399.95
Description: Miniature portable shortwave receiver

You can write your own review of the Sony SW100S Receiver.

WI2Q Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2002 13:39 Send this review to a friend
Still Terific after all these years!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this radio over 10 years and still love it. It's amaizingly small and sensative. The only problem I've had (which will happen to yours) is the ribbon cable between the clamshell will eventually crack. The symptoms are various. I ordered the plugin cables from Sony and got them really quick..... very easy fix. If you have to fix yours yourself, be sure to make the slots that the cable fits thru bigger and add a piece of masking tape around the cables where they pass thru the slots so it doesn't happen a second time. For travel you can't beat it. Very good on SSB for the ham bands... has a perminant place on the night table! Even tho I've had the cable problem, I feel compelled to give it a 5.
For the sake of comparrison, I've also had 7600g, 2001, 2002, Yatchboy's and Sangeans..... they're all gone but the sw100 stays!

NO9E Rating: 4/5 Jan 30, 2001 13:40 Send this review to a friend
Amazing but with limitations  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought it used without the active antenna. Very good audio considering its size. Overall feeling of quality. Fairly good SSB selectivity. Tuning on SSB/CW is in 100 Hz steps by membrane buttons, not easy but possible. VCO is susceptible to vibrations. Sensitivity on HF with the built in antenna is poor but is OK with 10 ft of wire. Ideal for trips where one wants to hear some HF activity but small size is a must.

Once I listened to 20m in a hamac. Heard a new country (TT?), went into the shack and worked it.

The weak side of the radio is the ribbon connecting the keyboard with the display. Upon frequent closing/opening, the ribbon fractures. The new ribbon costs about $10 but don't expect Sony's parts dept to locate it unless you have the part number.

Summarizing, an amazing radio considering its size.

NI0C Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2001 12:09 Send this review to a friend
Marvelous engineering  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this little gem for several years now. I use it at home with the AC adaptor as an alarm-- I wake up to Radio Australia (9580 khz) every morning. I take it with me on vacations (the receiver and active antenna both fit in an electric shaver case). On my last vacation to Colorado, I heard BA4DW (Shanghai) on 40m CW with it! Although it can be used with just its own telescoping whip, I always use the active antenna (included with purchase). I've seen reviews complaining about poor audio quality-- but really how much can be expected from a receiver the size of an audio cassette tape?