Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Directional: Yagi, quad, rotary dipole, LPD, etc | HyGain TH3 MK4 Help

Reviews Summary for HyGain TH3 MK4
HyGain TH3 MK4 Reviews: 37 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $469.95
Description: Three element triband beam for 10 -15 - 20 meters
More info: http://www.hy-gain.com/hy-gain/products.php

You can write your own review of the HyGain TH3 MK4.

K4CME Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2014 11:51 Send this review to a friend
Awesomeness in a small package!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Highly recommend for a first time Ham. This was my first Beam antenna and I must say it gets out. Mounted on a 18 meter tower 1 mile from the Gulf of Mexico I get raving results of my signal and audio nearly all the time when conditions are favorable. This antenna can handle 1500 watts but my AL 811A only provides 600 watts which seems to be very efficient and effective at this time.
I came about this antenna on Craigslist from a ham that got it with a tower deal and for 200 bucks one can not complain. The fella said he had no interest in this antenna and stated that the person he got it from said it didn't work that well. I'm sure the reason may have been that 2 traps were attached backward and the lengths of the elements were not measured accordingly either.
I just love this antenna and hate to see it go but I found a great deal on a Mosley TA 36; however, this is going to make one wicked Field Day antenna for sure. 73

N8MAS Rating: 4/5 May 12, 2014 07:50 Send this review to a friend
Disappointed in quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased antenna new from R&L, began buildup, and the small gear clamps that attach the sections when tightened would fail before tightening the section. If I was reading this I might assume they were being over tightened, but they were not, they wouldn't tighten enough before slipping. ran to NAPA and bought 14 new clamps, problem solved, I thought. Raised the antenna to the top of my 50ft Rohn 25G and tested. 10 was great, 20 was great, 15 was dead. called Hygain and they quickly sent me 2 new 15 meter traps. when the new ones arrived I did something I didn't do initially, I pulled back the caps and checked the attaching hardware. Both were spinning. I removed the self tapping screw and replaced with a slightly larger diameter. We had access to a bucket truck so we changed the 2 15 meter traps. While up there I checked all the traps for serviceable hardware. Out of the remaining 10 traps I replaced 6 screws that were not tight. Once on the ground I inspected the removed 15 meter traps and found that 1 had a stripped screw and a 1/8th gap between the tab and element. Now that those quality issues are resolved,I am impressed with the actual performance of the antenna. From Thailand to the South Pole if I can hear them, I can work them with 500 watts. So in closing, Im giving the antenna a 4 rating because of its great performance, but do yourself a favor and really check the traps and clamps out of the box. Hygain made good getting me parts in a timely manner, but it was a hassle I could have done without. As a new ham I chock it up to a learning experience with my 1st trapped antenna.

N0IDX Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2013 12:45 Send this review to a friend
MFJ ruined a great product  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ya, great it WAS. Performance better than you would expect from such a small antenna. Mine I bought used 30 years ago. Beefy hardware, tough antenna that stood up to everything Colorado could throw at it. 100 mph winds plus, ice, rain, sun. I have replaced a couple traps, trap caps, a balun and other things that the sun would destroy on any antenna. I cleaned up the antenna with steel wool soap pads about 5 years ago and it's STILL working, but the SWR curve continues to rise to near unuseable. So, instead of going through all the work and getting Mighty Fine Junk replacement parts, I have chosen to let her die a proud death at the scrap house than subject such a great antenna to MFJ parts insults. Next antenna? Optibeam 11-3? Why? It's the only great antenna left with new tech and quality workmanship. Hygain? You guys were awesome. Now with MFJ? Forget it. So long to the MK4. It was a good time man.

VK6NGS Rating: 2/5 Feb 5, 2013 19:50 Send this review to a friend
POOR BUILD QUALITY  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought New th3-mk4.From day 1 i had problem,s.Opened the box and started sorting the parts and found the gamma match to driven element clamp,s missing 6 trap caps split.Took over a month to get new parts from hy-gain.Put it together after going to hardware shop to replace all the cheap and nasty clamps.After a month in the air noticed the elements flopping around.dropped the tower and found the trap spacer,s had come out.Put them back in and couple weeks later they came out again.Ive had antenna up and down more time,s and have glued them in.While the antenna was down last time i noticed boom wasnt straight,what i found was on the tapered part of the boom had cracks.My local dealer has emailed hy-gain 3 times no reply,ive emailed them no reply.There customer service is the worst ive seen.The peformance is great if you can keep it in the air long enough before it falls apart.Cheers Grant vk6ngs

K6KCC Rating: 5/5 Aug 20, 2012 14:41 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
My Review is also for a TH3 MK2 which I got for free from a very generous Ham about 90 minutes from my QTH. As a newbie on a limited budge I placed an ad in several online Ham publications for someone willing to sell an HF antenna at a reduced price, or possibly donate one as I am disabled and on a very limited income.
After helping my benefactor lower the antenna down from his tower (I was ground support),we marked it and broke it down into lengths that would fit in my vehicle. I spent the next 6 weeks cleaning 40+ years of oxidation off every square inch of the antenna, replaced all the plastics with new parts ordered from Hy-Gain, and replaced all the hardware with SS components purchased from Lowe's. Reassembly was a snap as was mounting my "new" antenna atop my 55' crank up tower. I was really stoked when my first contact was a JA station and my signal report was 5/9+10 over....on just 50 watts from an old Kenwood TS-440S. My longest contact however was a long path contact with South Africa, again on just 50 watts and an armchair copy.
Although I got this antenna for free and put about $100 into it for parts I would recommend this antenna to anyone wanting a good tribander that is fairly small.

I'm now on the lookout for a TH6DXX...

WB2RCB Rating: 5/5 Dec 28, 2011 17:45 Send this review to a friend
Believe It or Not!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My review is for a TH3MKII, yes that's right a MKII!

Mine was purchased from Allied Electronics back in 1966 as a package that included 100' of RG-8 coax and a CDR TR-44 rotator with 100' of control cable. $199 back then!

I have used this antenna for over 40 years and with a little TLC, it will last another 40! Over time, I replaced all the element tubing clamps with the SS versions, I'm on my third set of trap end caps and have replaced all of the internal spacers that keep the trap covers away from the trap coil itself. Back about 20 years ago I had the beam down and completely disassembled it and had the opportunity to take all the aluminum tubing and trap covers to my place of employment. I chucked all the parts in the lathe and thoroughly cleaned all of the tubing till it was all shiny as new. Assembled the beam as per the instructions, put De-Ox-It on all mating surfaces and after completion, sprayed the entire beam with Rustoleum Clear enamel. That was back prior to the great Northeast Ice Storm of 1991. I have pictures of the beam elements drooping down with the surfacees covered with 1-1/2" if ice! The next day, the beam returned to it's natural state and worked just as it had in the past.

This antenns is a workhorse and has never let me down. Gain and front-to-back is exceptional and the quality of the parts themselves is second to none. Not so with the newer versions.

As I read all the recent reviews it is very apparent that MFJ has taken a classic beam and made changes that have reduced the quality of such a fine antenna. Many complaints about ill-fitting parts and suspect hardware. I also noted that the newer versions now use a hair-pin matching arrangement instead of the robust "Beta Tube" matching system from past years.

If you have a chance to get one of these, I would suggest looking for an older version that is in good shape and rehab it. Parts are still available and if MFJ still has them, I would replace all the element tubing clamps with the following part #'s (1/2" - 380284) (1" - 380286) and (1-1/4" - 380287) These clamps are horseshoe shaped, made of SS and will clamp the tubing together so it will never slip.

See you on the air and you'll hear for yourself how well this antenna still works!

WA2HMM Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2011 10:37 Send this review to a friend
Super Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Installed it back in Oct of 2009. Have NOT had any problems with it. Still great F/B and get great reports.

Would recommend it.

K6GKB Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2011 10:17 Send this review to a friend
I love it!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I also bought my TH3-MK4 directly from HY-Gain and it arrived shortly delivered to my door by UPS. Assembly was straight

forward. There were some issues with hardware, but these were easily resolved and well within my tolerance limits. The

hose clamps for the outboard elements were much too large and unusable, but a trip to the local marine store came up with

the correct clamps. The trap boots did not want to stay put, but some RTV solved that problem. I preferred elastic stop

nuts to what was supplied and these were available in stainless at my local hardware store. In any case, when completed

and all my substitutions in place the antenna was first quality and ready for installation.

The 14 foot boom has the advantage that when I tilted the tubular tower over I as able to attach the antenna to the

rotator without help. With the reflector laying on the ground, the attachment is only 7 feet off the ground. One of those

aluminum, zigzag, click-click folding ladders configured as an "A" allowed me to safely climb up to the rotator and couple

the antenna to the tower. I did all the assembly and installation by myself.

Since this is a review of the antenna, the above is all irrelevant. Once up, the antenna performed perfectly and has met

all expectations. Nicely directional, clearly discernable front to back, seems to pull in the signals very well. My Icom

4KL loves this thing, matching is almost instantaneous and then remembered. When the wind blows very hard, I drop the

antenna from 40 feet to 20 feet and so far everything is working perfectly. I especially liked the price which seemed very

reasonable. Although a meaningless parameter, it looks nicely professional up there above the house and the neighbors have

said nothing!

CX9BP Rating: 1/5 Apr 20, 2011 16:03 Send this review to a friend
No recomendable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

1)Las curvas que aparecen en el folleto no se cumplen, la realidad es otra, es una antena plana, DEMASIADO PLANA.
2)Problemas con las abrazaderas de "acero inoxidable" se rompen y no apretan.
He tenido otras Hy-Gain sin problemas, lamento haber comprado esta.

AA2HA Rating: 1/5 Feb 1, 2011 14:28 Send this review to a friend
I wish I knew  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered the antenna, directly for hy-gain (MFJ) in October. (today is February 1st) and no antenna. I've spoken to Hy-Gain several times and they tell me that "a part they use for several of their antennas" has been on back-order (from China) for FOUR months) As a result, they can't make several of their antennas until this mystery part arrives. Any distributor with a reasonable price also has these on back-order.
I find it hard to believe they couldn't find another supplier or work out a solution. They are now telling me that they expect the part to be "in" in a few weeks (I've heard this before) and they will be making antennas by March.
I just can't imagine a company like Ht-Gain doesn't have the resources to supply, or find an alternate way to supply their own products. It's very frustrating!
If or when my antenna arrives, I may change this rating (because I have to rate it to post this) and this rating has nothing to do with the performance of the antenna.
I would order a different antenna, but my tower project was constructed with exact sizes to accommodate all the antennas I need.