Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Directional: Yagi, quad, rotary dipole, LPD, etc | HyGain TH3 MK4 Help

Reviews Summary for HyGain TH3 MK4
HyGain TH3 MK4 Reviews: 37 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $469.95
Description: Three element triband beam for 10 -15 - 20 meters
More info: http://www.hy-gain.com/hy-gain/products.php

You can write your own review of the HyGain TH3 MK4.

WB8SCT Rating: 1/5 Jan 10, 2011 17:42 Send this review to a friend
Poor Manufacturing Quality  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned several HyGain antennas and this is the most disappointing. Overall the performance is not bad, but building the antenna with the components supplied can be a hassle. Someone previously noted that the tips are undersized which creates a problem for when trying to clamp them in place. I had to use some small gauge wire as a shim in order to build the antenna. The brackets and hardware supplied was all substandard, not like the previous HyGain quality that I have become use to. This is my last HyGain and for that matter Cushcraft (which is owned by the same company as HyGain). I do not recommend this antenna.

W4RIG Rating: 5/5 Dec 3, 2010 16:30 Send this review to a friend
Going Strong after two years  Time owned: more than 12 months
I just read my review from December 2008 and wanted to reinforce my high opinion of the TH3-MK4 antenna - I have had over 3000 QSO's in the past 2 years with PSK31 on 40, 20, 17 and 15 M and the antenna has performed very well - I'm usually heard better than my reception of the other signal - operation has been smooth with only a few tugs to align the driven element as it gets a little off horizontal after winter storms - seasonal adjustments are minor. My TH3-MK4 is paired with an MFJ969 roller inductor tuner - it gives me great SWRs on all bands - better with 15-20 than 40 but still very good on 40M (maybe 1.20 vs 1.0) I have contacted stations in Kazakhstan, Asiatic Russia, Western and Central China, Mauritius, South Africa, Chile and Alaska (still trying to find Hawaii)with PSK31 and am very pleased with the operation of this antenna. I note it has a consistently good review status - something I used as a reference before I purchased it - a few sore heads don't detract much from an overwhelming 5/5 by most users who have filed reviews. Thumbs up for this fine antenna.

PE1NBD Rating: 4/5 Mar 13, 2010 22:34 Send this review to a friend
Works great so far  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got mine last week after careful consideration which antenna should replace my FB33. Took it up to my mast yesterday and was very pleased with the first results. Good SWR on all bands(adjusted the elements in the "MID" position). Although I only work in SSB-mode the "PHONE" position didn't gave me the right SWR. But now all is OK. Easy to assemble only took me more as 8 hours HI. Did it all by myself without any help. But for those who considering to put some one also, ask for some help to put it up.

WA2HMM Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2009 12:24 Send this review to a friend
Works GRRRrrreat  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got the beasty up on the tower and hit it with some RF...

The front to back is great, and the reports coming in from DX indicate it plays "Real-Nice".

Mechanically it is build very well/strong, the instructions are VERY easy to follow, and plenty of clear graphics, all dimesions are in inches, but with conversions for metric.

NO special tools are required to assemble.

I would highly recommend this antenna.

WA2HMM Rating: 4/5 Oct 15, 2009 07:00 Send this review to a friend
Tech Support is GREAT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I found the Boom Clamp holes didn't match up with the Boom Bracket. This was reported before. I spoke to Hy-Gain Tech Support (Tom AA5MT), he said to install the Boom Clamp on the Boom Tube prior to trying to line up the Bracket holes, and they would line up. "They Did". I also mentioned the installation of the 2 5/16x3 bolts in the Boom to Mast Clamp, as indicated inthe manual. If you are installing the Clamp on the Boom "FIRST", and not on the mast "FIRST", they are really a pain to loosen and then slip the antenna (with the clamp attached) on the mast. They can be left out.

The antenna is mechanically sound.
Now only if Ma-Nature will stop making rain, I can get up the tower...

I will report on how it plays later.

I say "Good-4", as I haven't fired it up yet.

EI4HQ Rating: 3/5 Oct 10, 2009 13:27 Send this review to a friend
Disappointing Assembly Experience  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I took delivery of a new TH3 Mk IV earlier this week (October 2009)and have spent today assembling it.

I live in an exposed spot on the eastern seaboard of the North Atlantic. Over the years I've learned that, in the first instance, a stock antenna needs to be assembled 'exactly' as per the suppliers instructions. Secondly, it then needs to then be 'modified' to withstand the particular weather we get here.

Today I did the stock assembly of the TH3. On the whole the antenna is what I expected, but a few particular items disappointed me to the point I felt it necessary to say something...

Generally the antenna components are of good quality. There are a few specific items however that are simply not fit for purpose.

The curved boom joining bracket that attaches to the flat boom bracket plate was poorly manufactured. The result was it was nigh on impossible to get the boom bolts tightened and then be able to attach the boom bracket to the mast bracket - not enough of the holes lined up. This was the result of (a) poor bracket forming and (b) poor hole drilling.

Secondly, a number of the 3/4 inch bolts sheared under very light load - closer examination suggests manufacture problems. Also about half a dozen of the 'hose' clips threaded while tightening. Before its suggested that these occurances were the result of over tightening - I've a very light touch and replacement locally sourced stock - both bolts and clips - gave no problems...

Thirdly there is clearly a problem with the 'tips' of all the elements - Hygain supply hose clips to secure the tips of all the elements - clearly either these clips are too big or the element section into which the end tips are inserted are too thick. Regardless, no amount of tighetening of the hose clips could get five of the six element sections to 'bite' to the point that the tips were secure. They remained loose. I have not yet worked out a solution to this but whatever it may be, the hose clips supplied by Hygain are clearly not the way forwared...

Small things you might say, but the result is this antenna is not 'fit for purpose' out of the box. In my situation this is not a major issue as I'll have to modify the antenna anyway so it will survive the winds and salt laden moisture we get here... Lots of shrink wrap at joints and some additional element pinning to follow tomorrow, however the issues outlined here do raise some concerns about Hygain's quality control. I just hope I don't have similar issues with the traps once I get RF into the beast...

I'll report further once she's aloft...

W4RIG Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2008 20:40 Send this review to a friend
Excellent reviews Accurate Ratings  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
While I've just gotten the TH3-MK4 mounted on my tower @ 35 feet above ground and about 100 feet above sea level (in Gloucester, MA) I am finding the operation as expected from 20 reviews with best rating - make mine 21 at 5/5 - excellent reception and it gets out as expected - with the balun recommended by Hy-Gain - I'll get back next year with operational report after 12 months experience

EA5FKQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2008 12:07 Send this review to a friend
Maybe.. The best 3 el. tribander.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Hola. Que decir de esta magnifica,legendaria y buena antena de la Hy-gain. Es probablemente de las mejores directivas de 3 el. tribandas. Muy depurada en su diseño, solida, tecnicamente perfecta. Sus caracteristicas de rendimiento son sobresalientes. Por mi parte esta clasica de la Hy-gain es una opción de una buena antena totalmente recomendable y para muchos años dando alegrias en el DX.

KL7AI Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2008 20:14 Send this review to a friend
Making the difference!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Up at 50ft now for 3 months and am extremely pleased. Holding up in Alaska winds and weather and I mean HOWLING winds! 60+ This antenna lets me be heard when the band is in bad shape and holds up well to the 1.5kw CW signal passed to it! I am pleased and you will be too!

KA6EZL Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2008 07:51 Send this review to a friend
Love it  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had it up for about 3 months, and it works great, it is up at 40'. I also have a 135' dipole feed with ladder line up at 60' on one end and 40' on the other end and I thought it worked great, and it does, but, the TH3 MK4 brings stations in loud that I can't even hear on the dipole. If you can get one you will be very pleased.