Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Ameritron ATR-20 Help

Reviews Summary for Ameritron ATR-20
Ameritron ATR-20 Reviews: 12 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $459.95
Description: 1.2 KW 1.8 - 30 MHz Roller Antenna Tuner
More info: http://www.ameritron.com/ameritron/products.php?prodid=ATR-20

You can write your own review of the Ameritron ATR-20.

KF5YUB Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2015 10:31 Send this review to a friend
Great VSWR   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got the ATR-20 back after having Ameritron replace the roller inductor within the first few weeks. They recalibrated it also. I bought the ATR-20 to go with the Ameritron AL-811. Now it tunes the IMAX 2000 10-20 Meters. Prior to being fixed it only tuned the IMAX on 10 and 12 Meters. Smooth and properly working. It's great on the Cushcraft R7 and other Band specific antennas.
The IMAX may not be most "efficient" on 20 Meters but I do have many USA and DX contacts using it with the LDG IT-100 Auto Tuner.
Now with the ATR-20 I should be able to tune more effectively, even "Coat Hangers" Hi, hi. The Peak Hold is accurate. The Power is accurate. I like this tuner. I can see exactly what my reflected power is and my VSWR. Nice less than 1.5:1 with almost no to 1.5 watts reflected. With a tuner you may fine tune and broadband your antennas.
I do recommend this tuner.

AA2SM Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2010 01:51 Send this review to a friend
SMOOTH  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had my tuner for 3 weeks now. Smooth and easy. What a differance from the MFJ I owned. Worth every penny. Tuned up a a few of my wire antennas with ease.

K7PSA Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2009 17:17 Send this review to a friend
Great Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my ATR-20 about two years ago. I use it with my Icom IC-746PRO and my IC-745,and my AL-811H AMP ususlly at 600 TO 700 watts. It tunes Inverted V, G5RV,and homemade Dipoles with ladder line feed no problem. I have never had any trouble with the tuner at all, I think it will tune any antenna. 73 Bob,K7PSA

NF6V Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2008 13:56 Send this review to a friend
Great Product  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my ATR-20 for about 3 years now and have used it on a wide variety of antennas with power (on the meter) up to 900+ watts and have been totally satisfied. I love the quality of construction (no problems as others have posted) and the true peak power feature on the meter is very helpful.

A bit pricey but a fine product.

K1FU Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2008 23:26 Send this review to a friend
Pricey, but works well  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use it with dipoles hanging in trees, my tuner in my IC-746 couldn't handle them. I find the sweet spot and then activate the Icom tuner if the swr is a little high. If you can't tune it with the ATR-20 it can't be tuned.

WI7B Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2008 08:26 Send this review to a friend
GREAT!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

I'm not sure why an ATR-20 review hasn't been written in 2 years. This is a fantastic tuner. For those of you who have difficulties with MFJ equipment, don't equate Ameritron with MFJ.

Purchased new, the tuner is solid and the power/SWR meter reads the same as the power setting on my TS-480S. I set 30W, I read 30W into a 50 ohm dummy. I set 100W, I read 100W into a 50 ohm dummy. At that relative level, it's repeatably accurate.

The built-in antenna switch with either direct, feedthrough or tuner-coupled output is another bonus. The finest feature is the continuosly tunable roller inductor for exciter powers <30W. I'm finding sweet spots I never had with my older tuner's 12-position inductor, and with increased tuner efficencies (max capacitance/minimum inductance). And the setting are extremely repeatable over all bands.

It's a hunk of change (~$430), but worth it.

---* Ken

N7HO Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2005 18:37 Send this review to a friend
Great Tuner  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I am very happy with this unit.
I bought this tuner to go with my AL-811 and it has worked great, and I have had no problems with it. So much better then my MFJ. I use it with a 246' dipole and it tunes just fine on all bands. Now if they could make an Auto-tuner this reliable.

Steve / N7HO

K6CJB Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2004 19:33 Send this review to a friend
Excellent tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own two of these (one in the primary station, one in the secondary) and I love it. I noticed the shaft coupler looseness in one of them and I have to adjust this, but other than that, it's a great piece of equipment.

K0KAV Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2003 16:03 Send this review to a friend
Works Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use mine on a sloper and it works great. I can go back to various frequencies and the variable Capacitor[s]and Inductor settings are right on every time. As I understand it, the shaft coupler set screws have been replaced with Allen screws that are supposed to bite into the shaft[s]and correct the problem of the shaft coming out in your hand. I don't think it has the fit/finish/quality that my Palstar AT-1500CV had but it does a good job.

KC9ANI Rating: 4/5 Jul 9, 2003 09:11 Send this review to a friend
Solid Performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have had for about a month now and delayed reviewing until I had a chance to wring out a bit. Using a Al811 amp thru the tuner so power levels never exceed 5-600 watts. In any case, I experienced the exact same problem listed by the past two posters regarding the shaft coupler coming loose. Tightened real well and so far so good. Tuner works very well and loads all bands easily. Antenna is a G5RV. Much better than the MFJ 986 and 989's I was trying. Extra money well spent, but doesnt seem to be too popular of a tuner if the number of reviews is any evidence. I'm a happy camper at this point.