Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Ameritron ATR-20 Help

Reviews Summary for Ameritron ATR-20
Ameritron ATR-20 Reviews: 11 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $459.95
Description: 1.2 KW 1.8 - 30 MHz Roller Antenna Tuner
More info: http://www.ameritron.com/ameritron/products.php?prodid=ATR-20

You can write your own review of the Ameritron ATR-20.

WA7NCL Rating: 4/5 Jan 30, 2001 18:54 Send this review to a friend
Works good Some Quality Problems  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a skinny version of the ATR-30. The Turns counting roller inductor works well. The verniers reduction on the capacitors works well. The inductor and capacitors are large and are about as good as can be expected in these new non-mechanical times. The band switch has problems. No proper bushing on shaft thru the panel. 1/4 inch shaft coupler to switch so poor that it wont lock onto shaft. First use caused shaft to come out in my hand. I fixed the bushing by adding one from old junk wafer switch. I now need to replace the shaft coupler. From what I can tell this is better than most "mfj" products but like all the rest suffers from lack on quality on nickle and dime items. The watt meter works and agrees with my TS-870. I use this tuner at 100W so can't comment on power handling.
The output balun is large but has a steel bolt passing thru the center of the toroids. I am wondering if this could cause eddy current losses.
I bought it on theory that the larger components would have less loss and be more efficient. Is it worth it? There aren't a lot of new antenna tuners on the market and compared to MFJ brand product, I think it was a wise choice.