Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | SDRplay RSP2 Help

Reviews Summary for SDRplay RSP2
SDRplay RSP2 Reviews: 16 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $$170.00
Description: 1 KHz to 2 GHz sdr receiver
More info: http://www.sdrplay.com/rsp2/

You can write your own review of the SDRplay RSP2.

NN2X Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2017 09:59 Send this review to a friend
Are you kidding me! Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Now lets just think about this...

A SDR first class receiver that fits in your hand and covers practically DC to Day light, with most common demodulation techniques, that can compete with at least mid size Ham radio receivers, for 200 (USD)? How is this not remarkable?

Oh, and a spectrum display to look at that is capable of very broad bandwidth! (Easily cover the any Ham bands and of course more).

From listening to Police, Ham radio (HF VHF and UHF), AM station, and FM radio.

I have a Kenwood 590S, and the receive from the SDR for SSB is better on the SDR Play...RSP2..(NR function does it!) Although the Kenwood 590s has one, the SDR is better

I don't know how any one can give this nothing but a score of 5...

What the manufacturer should had done, is sell at 500 (USD), and than it would be across the board 5.0...

Amazing technology,remarkably very high quality.especially considering only 200 (USD)...

And simple! I did not use any youtube, or manual, all very simple to understand

See you on the bands, and now I can hear you (And see you on the spectrum)

Cheers
Tom Wright, NN2X

KK4CF Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2017 18:53 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using the RSP2 Pro for a spectrum display along side my IC-9100 while working satellites for about 3 months now. It is connected to a separate set of antennas and functions great along side the IC-9100. No rig control the way I am using it, but the Pro does a great job of providing a display of the activity on the satellite band. It has helped me work grids that I would have missed. The IC-9100 does not interfere with the RSP2 Pro and the Pro's receive is on par with the IC-9100. Based on my experience it is a bargain at $200.

KJ3LR Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2017 13:33 Send this review to a friend
Just Wow!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The technology packed into this small package is truly remarkable!

HB9OAB Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2017 08:38 Send this review to a friend
100% good!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
A great great SDR (SDRplay RSP2)

Services/preformance/price are excellent!!!!

They went from several SDR-RTL to a DXPatrol... and all of these were seriously deficient, ELAD for the BAND/frequency.

The ones on the market low price from 1 KHz to 2000MHz, so I made this choice and I was very very very happy.

I wanted to try this SDRplay RSP2 for NOTCH BC/FM, Power for ext LNA, 3x three antenna outputs (software switch), I do not have to unscrew to change antenna then also for a nice TCXO!!!!

Purchased to Home and 23 hours (amazing!!!) was delivered to me and I was already using.

Immediately ease of use also of the various soft:
-SDRconsole 2
-SDRconsole 3
-HDSDR
-SDRuno

All programs that already used it previously so was all very simple in using this SDR.
I connected to the output of my RFout RTX + USB makes me duplex SWITCH and RL antenna.
I must say that the programs used NOT always are very stable, sometimes if exploited MULTI receivers (24 with SDRconsole and 15 with SDRuno) but SDR is attacked by a month to my server dual I7 win10/64bit and I use it every day without problem or to having to reset the PC or CRASH driver or otherwise...

I noticed some CRASH but not the RSP2 but the SDRconsole software, SDRuno and HDSDR.
Then stable compared with the SDR-RTL driver.

Evidently that struggles with computer configurations misconfigured will not be happy (not the fault of SDRPLAY RSP2 ...) but if you have a stable and good PC, play it safe!

7-24x receiver with 10% CPU/GPU...

Check here http://www.qrz.com/db/hb9oab

LIKE ALL THE SDR is not that you turn on and use it as a transceiver, get the most out of setting made with the software.
I likened here with several receivers and also a FTdx3000/5000 I have to say that is outstanding compared to this price/performance.

I opened several receivers simultaneously sending them audio to splitted applications as SSTV, RTTY PSK JT etc ... with no problem.

On my site I have some pictures of 7-24 multiRX made with SDRPLAY RSP2...

Check here http://www.qrz.com/db/hb9oab

Regard's
Franco, HB9oab

W5CHA Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2017 07:50 Send this review to a friend
RSP@/SDRuno  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I recently acquired an RSP2 to use as a panadapter, integrating it with several other pieces of software. The RSP2 worked great but I had a real problem getting all my digital interconnections to play nice. I contacted the support service and we went round and round tracing issues. I must say that these guys wouldn't give up and we finally found a solution that works incredibly well. I just want to publicly thank them for having the patience to work me out of a frustrating problem.

K3TEE Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2017 19:33 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the RSP2 to use as a wide spectrum, general purpose receiver and a panadapter for my transceivers. It's performance has exceeded my expectations. I have really enjoyed using it.

When I first got it, I downloaded the SDRuno software to run with it. I found quickly that I had to contact SDRplay by email with several questions to get the SDRuno software up and running. The software is definitely not intuitive to use. The good news is that I got impressively, fast responses to my questions from SDRplay and subsequently got things up and running pretty quickly.

Now there is a good YouTube video about SDRuno that will help you learn the basics before attempting to use it. The features and capabilities of SDRuno are wide and deep. It will take me a good while to learn enough to get the most out of it, but I think it will be worth it in the end.

I've recently downloaded HDSDR software to try it out. I found it was very easy to use albeit less capable than SDRuno.

I use my RSP2 as part of a panadapter system with both my KX2 and TS-590S. I use the MFJ-1708 T/R switch in this setup and control it with the transceivers' PTT circuits. The RSP2 hasn't been damaged by excessive RF doing so. Again, finding the right YouTube videos that show the connections, cablings, and T/R box modification needed will be a big help if you want to do something similar with your transceivers.

Bottomline, I think the RSP2 is a real winner. If you are a new to SDRs, I'd recommend you start out using HDSDR software first and then transition to SDRuno if you want more sophisticated capabilities.

W8RMV Rating: 4/5 Feb 7, 2017 09:37 Send this review to a friend
Great but beware...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
SDRPlay really needs to better emphasize the very limited front end protection on this device. If you have it inline or on a receiving antenna and transmit anywhere near it, you may fry the frontend like I did. If you want to try & repair it like I do, there is very little info out there to do so. If you get one or are thinking of getting one, get on a few forums to see what others are doing to protect the device. If you only SWL, it should be fine. I've been a ham & a SWL'r for years & I have never had this issue with any other receiver. If you are a ham with more than one antenna, exercise caution and religiously disconnect the RSP2 or protect it. I got distracted & forgot it was still connected. An expensive distraction. Otherwise the RSP2 worked great on SDRConsole s/w. It's performance is top notch and rates a 5 for the price. It's protection from nearby RF is not and that I would rate a 2. This is an update to my first review.

W8RMV Rating: 3/5 Feb 1, 2017 05:12 Send this review to a friend
Great, but....  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
SDRPlay really needs to emphasize the very limited front end protection on this device. If you have it inline or on a receiving antenna and transmit anywhere near it, you may fry the frontend like I did. If you want to try & repair it like I do, there is very little info out there to do so. If you get one or are thinking of getting one, get on a few forums to see what others are doing to protect the device. If you only SWL, it should be fine. I've been a ham & a SWL'r for years & I have never had this issue with any other receiver. If you are a ham with more than one antenna, exercise caution and religiously disconnect the RSP2. I got distracted by the family & forgot it was still connected. An expensive distraction. Otherwise the RSP2 worked great on HDSDR & Uno. It's performance is top notch. It's protection from nearby RF is not.

G3VDS Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2017 05:32 Send this review to a friend
Best General Coverage Receiver I've ever owned!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I first bought an RSP1 last year and it worked well. I traded up to the RSP2 recently because I wanted the filters, software switcheable antenna inputs, and the TCXO.
I am running it with a Chinese fanless PC. I5 processor, 8Ghz ram, 120Gb SSD. Windows 10. This loafs along quite comfortable with an 8Mb displayed bandwidth at 35-40% processor load.
I've had no software issues at all getting it to work.
Prospective buyers should be aware that this little black box and it's software is a very complex and powerful piece of kit and requires a lot of time and effort learning how to use it. If you do this it's magical and has taught me a lot. It has its quirks but my first Rx was an Eddystone S640 valve job and in 50 years I've had lots of others and they all do!
I've also got a Flex 1500 which I like a lot. The Flex and the RSP2 are both good but in different ways and I'm keeping them both.
I think the RSP2 is good value for money and with my new noise generator I'm playing with it as a poor man's spectrum analyser.
It is important to RTFM and 'think' about what it shows you.

KC3NG Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2017 13:19 Send this review to a friend
SDRplay RSP2  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The radios are great, I've had one RSP2 and it failed and I immediately ordered a second. I love the panoramic display.

With the first, I began with a laptop with no audio. You can imagine my surprise when I moved the rig to my extreme, to find that it has audio!! My next is on order and I plan to take a real good look at it. For one thing. a 50 KW AM station is nearby. The internal filter was necessity and it really helped.