Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | SDRplay RSP2 Help

Reviews Summary for SDRplay RSP2
SDRplay RSP2 Reviews: 16 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $$170.00
Description: 1 KHz to 2 GHz sdr receiver
More info: http://www.sdrplay.com/rsp2/

You can write your own review of the SDRplay RSP2.

W0FAA Rating: 4/5 Dec 27, 2016 11:07 Send this review to a friend
Great hardware, some software installation issues for me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I also have a Flex 3000 transceiver and an RTL-SDR USB unit. I am experienced with both SDR and computers.

It's difficult not to be underwhelmed when first holding the RSP2 (or 1) hardware in your hand, even after seeing the pictures. It's just a plastic box with a few connectors and a small piece of paper directing you to a web site. It doesn't even include the USB cable. I suppose us older folks have a couple of the big sturdy old USB type B cables laying around, but others will be left waiting for a delivery to arrive before they can try it out. The aesthetics aside, this hardware is a significant step up from my previous 8-bit toy, and seems very capable indeed.

SDRuno is full-featured but you really must read the manual, period. Download the SDRuno Cookbook too. Follow the steps with your radio as you read them and in 10 minutes you will be fine. Some reviewers have wrongly stated that the software doesn't have a particular feature because they couldn't find it. Well there are many features I couldn't find until I thoroughly read the manual. Some tiny user interface elements will reveal an entire new function window when clicked.

I had trouble during installation on 2 of the 3 computers I installed it on. I may still have had trouble with the drivers on my Windows 7 SP1 system had I left them installed. The first time I followed the installation procedure on the web site and everything appeared to install correctly. I started the program and clicked to open the SP1 window. Windows 7 then displayed the "whirlygig" hourglass-equivalent over the SDRuno window and although I gave it many minutes, nothing happened. I attempted to terminate the program with task manager, but had no luck there. Eventually a reboot was required. This behavior can be caused by the USB driver. They hang waiting for input and have no provision for stopping. After the reboot my RSP2 was not recognized when plugged in. I attempted to uninstall and reinstall program and drivers. The program unistalled, but the drivers seemed not to respond when asked to uninstall. I rebooted and tried again. After uninstalling the drivers, then reinstalling software and drivers everything worked correctly and I happily played with the unit for a few hours. I returned from lunch to find that my usually very stable Win 7 machine had restarted from a Blue Screen with a driver power state exception. Huh... well it happens. A few minutes later it happened again with SDRuno closed while I was writing some emails. Ok, that's enough of that! I uninstalled all SDRplay software and drivers and reinstalled them in a Windows 7 virtual machine. No more BSODs have occurred in the several days since, either on the host machine or in the VM.

On my main machine, a quad-core 3.5 GHz i7 with 16 Gig of ram and an SSD, I was able to get good performance at the full 10 MHz bandwidth setting with only 10% CPU usage. In the VM I can only run at 5 MHz bandwidth before CPU usage nears 100%, but that is enough to make me happy for now. I am actually surprised it runs even that well in a VM. I read in the blogs that most people have no trouble whatsoever with BSODs, but a few like me, do.

I was able to install the unit on my Windows 8.1 laptop which is working perfectly at the full 10 MS/s setting. I wanted portable operation and will probably use this configuration the most.

I am delighted with the hardware, the software is very good and other software will be compatible soon. It seems as capable a receiver as my other HF radios, and of course having a 10 MHz window into any frequency band between 1 KHz and 2 GHz is great fun! I found I could improve the already very good S/N ratio by using the decimation settings. Although information in the manual is sparse on this feature, it is a way of trading bandwidth for dynamic range and S/N.

I took one point off for my installation issues, and the steep learning curve of the SDRuno user interface. I am very happy with my purchase.

KG7QYJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2016 19:15 Send this review to a friend
Excellent SDR Rx unit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Feature packed Rx for the money. Had it connected thru my 75ft feed line to a PAR endfed SWL longwire. Excellent reception, selectivity and sensitivity. The flexibility of features like multiple simultaneous monitoring of widely varied frequencies is quite a statement on the future of radio. Great build quality even without the RSP2Pro metal case. Lots of fun. Well worth it. I highly recommend downloading the SDRUno cookbook. The production user guide is a bit lacking.

As a product, this is 5 stars. Not sure how I feel about the tactile experience of radio work disappearing.

MBOTT Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2016 15:33 Send this review to a friend
Great HF Receiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This review is on the SDRplay RSP2, but performance wise the RSP1 is its equal from 1500 kHz to 30000 kHz. The way I have my listening post set up, I have a split feed from my Pixel RF Pro-1B that goes to my RSP2 and also to my physical radios: Kenwood R-5000, Icom IC-R75 and a Yaesy FRG-7. I have yet to come across a HF signal on any of the radios that I cannot receive on the RSP2. The ability to see a 10 mHz of the spectrum is fantastic, especially when hunting those more difficult signals. I can't imagine DXing without using the RSP2 as it help so much.

GM1FLQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2016 14:11 Send this review to a friend
Best value for money spent in a long while  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm with G1HBE on this and agree with his conclusions.
On VHF/UHF I've compared the RSP2 simultaneously via a professional grade antenna multicoupler.
I have found it broadly speaking to be near enough on a par with my Uniden UBC800XLT, UBC780XLT and BC785D for sensitivity.
Looking forward to trying it with other software whenever it becomes available and whatever tweaks come along with SDR Uno.
It has rekindled my listening interest and has me exploring parts of the spectrum I normally wouldn't.

G1HBE Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2016 08:18 Send this review to a friend
Excellent in most areas  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After having owned the original RSP1 for a couple of years, I couldn't resist the new RSP2. The two selectable antenna inputs for HF/VHF/UHF are welcome, and if your interest lies in the lower frequencies there is another input which works from 30 MHz right down to a few KHz.
The SDRUno software has a steep learning curve, mainly because almost everything is customisable, but once you get to grips with it it all works very well. The IF filter widths are all variable - for instance the 6KHz AM filter can be widened or narrowed and can even be set with one side narrower than the other if need be. It's all done by simply dragging the edges of the response. I'm very impressed - all you have to do is read the manual!

N2DTS Rating: 4/5 Nov 29, 2016 19:29 Send this review to a friend
good hardware, software needs work  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got one.
Hooked it up to an old slow lap top, worked right off.
I have an 80 and 40 meter dipole, and tried it on the AM broadcast band, 160, 80, 40 and 20 meters.
Band conditions were nasty, verified on my Anan 10E.

The broadcast band filter works very well!
Most of the time I had the gain very low, and I tried all 3 antenna ports.
Port 1 and 2 seemed to work fine and better then the high Z port with the dipoles hooked up.
You can overload it with the preamp gain set high on a good antenna, but lowering the gain does not seem to bother signals any, the radio seems to work just as well (on HF) with the gain all the way down as it does with it set just below overload.

The radio seems to work well, I compared it to the Anan 10E and it seemed to work just as well on the signals I listened to, even very weak signals.

The software is another issue.
Worse software I have not used except for some at work, my work has some of the worst software in the world, stuff a normal person would never be able to figure out on their own.

It took me 10 minutes to figure out how to start the radio.
Tuning is not easy, there are only a few fixed bandwidths you can pick from, sometimes buttons work, sometimes not, there are many other screens that you can find with little buttons that have kriptic labels, many hidden menu's.

Power sdr is easy to figure out, did it in 15 minutes, TX and all, big start button on the screen, easy to use, easy to set up, band stacking registers, easy to tune, etc.
SDR console is easy, start button on the main screen, band buttons work, band stacking registers.
HDSDR, easy to figure out, almost everything is on the main screen, no band stacking registers but an easy to use and figure out memory system.

SDRmax was not hard to figure out, I was not fond with how it worked, but it was easy to figure out.

SDRuno is no fun at all. You can drag filters around on all the other programs, make up your own filter widths, that is one of the great things about sdr radios. Not with sdruno, not that I could find. Four choices in AM, 6, 12, 16 and 20 I think, many times 6 is too wide.
I could not figure out how to change the tuning step size, not sure you can. 500 Hz, live with it.

To center what you are listening to in the display, you click the vfo button at the bottom?
Sometimes it works, most times not.

The radio will likely be very good for the money once some of the other programs work with it.

The radio ran fine at 2 MHz bandwidth, 6 MHz was more then my old core duo laptop could deal with.
2 MHz is enough for me and 6 would be fine on a modern computer.