Reviews Categories | Transverters | Ten-Tec 1208 Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec 1208
Ten-Tec 1208 Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $$95
Description: SSB-CW 6-Meter Transverter Kit
More info: http://www.tentec.com/Tk1208.htm

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec 1208.

N9ESH Rating: 3/5 Aug 5, 2001 03:42 Send this review to a friend
Nice addition to the shack  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I must agree with the other reviewers that the 1208 is a handy item to have in the shack. It does what is advertised and is a great way to introduce a newcommer to 6 meters. If you never worked 6 meters, be prepaired for some interesting if not exciting propagation.

I will note, however, that this should not be a first time kit builder's project. A Heath-Kit it is not. If you have moderate to extensive Heath-Kit expierence, the 1208 should be a snap. Otherwise, put in some soldering and building practice with simpler kits to build up your skills. Some of the components such as the tuning slugs, are very delecate and easily broken (Ten-Tec added an extra tuning coil with slug!). Some steps in the assembly manual are not very clear, so read them very, very carefully. Also, be sure to have the right tools to do the job.

Problem noted:

Upon completion, the receiver showed 7 S-units of solid noise. Troubleshooting showed Q15 to be oscillating. The fix I used was to put a 10K resistor across R39. I don't know if Ten-Tec recomends this, but it quieted the noise floor to nil and increased the receiver gain quite a bit. Several Hams I talked to had this same problem. It would be nice if Ten-Tec added a note on how to fix this oscillation problem in their manual if it is encountered. (The manual says to tune for max noise! It does not say how much to expect)

Once the noise problem was fixed, the 1208 works like a dream. Now if only someone would come out with an affordable 6 meter brick amplifier with about 50 watts.......

KB2VUQ Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2001 14:09 Send this review to a friend
for 6M ssb QRP work.

Typically 5 watts in gives me 8-10
watts out. Receive sensitivity
is under .2uv

The transverter allows me to operate
6M SSB just like the "big boys", for
much less than a 6M all-mode rig.
It's given my Yaesu a "new life"!

It operates on whatever mode my
radio is set to.

Tx / Rx audio is great.

Every band opening I work several
"new grids". From the Pacific Coast,
to Europe and South and Central
America, they just can't believe
I'm only running 8 watts!

By the way.....
I'm using an M2 Ho-Loop antenna (25' up)
for an antenna.

$95.00 for the transverter + $89.00
for the antenna and voila....
I'm racking up the QSL cards from 6M.

Catch the magic on the magic band!

Best 73,
de
Dennis Volin
(KB2VUQ)

K0KP Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2001 13:03 Send this review to a friend
What a nifty little rig!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I believe it was the late Doug DeMaw - W1FB, who said this little transverter was the greatest value in ham radio! The Ten-Tec 1208 is a super little transverter and a great way to explore 6 meters. All that is required is a HF rig capable of 20 meters with the ability to reduce power down to about 5 watts. My 1208 went together without a great deal of difficulty. (My own initial error was to install the MOSFET receive preamp transistor upside down. Ten-Tec quickly provided a free replacement transistor even though this was my own error.)

Receive is fantastic! Used in conjunction with my twenty-year-old Kenwood TS-120S transceiver, the transverter combo has better "ears" on 6 than my new Icom 746! And hey, I'll tell you, the 746 ain't bad! I have had no overload problems, no birdies, just great, clean 6 meter reception.

Transmit works great too. Although rated for 8 watts PEP output, my 1208 produces a clean 10 watts. Audio reports have been great. When 6 is open, 8 watts can certainly make lots of fun QSO's! I built mine in April of 2000. By September 31, 2000 I had CONFIRMED 49 states on 6 working toward WAS 6 meters! This includes confirmed KL7 and KH6......alas.....If I only had California! To be honest, by mid summer I did purchase a TE Systems 175 watt amp which the 1208 drives flawlessly to full rated output, and did upgrade from a simple J-Pole vertical to a 3 element yagi at 35 feet. Anyway, the point is you can do wonders with this little rig!

The rig has full QSK CW and SSB. The only change I made was to add a small relay to key the transverter into transmit mode via PTT when on SSB. Although QSK on SSB worked fine, I just couldn't get used to the idea having it key in and out of transmit on each spoken word.

I would rate the kit as an in-between a first and advanced building project. Take your time, understand the directions, and it will go together just fine! The step-by-step instructions rival the good works once produced by the old Heathkit ham team.

I echo DeMaw's sage advice and rate the kit 5 out of 5.