Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | QYT KT-8900D Help

Reviews Summary for QYT KT-8900D
QYT KT-8900D Reviews: 9 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $140
Description: Compact 25 watt dual-bander with quad receive.
More info: http://www.qyt-cn.com/en/pro_info152.html

You can write your own review of the QYT KT-8900D.

LNXAUTHOR Rating: 4/5 Jun 24, 2017 13:53 Send this review to a friend
small & inexpensive  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just finished setting up a new KT-8900D. There are many similar units on the market, and most run in the sub-US$90 range. Mine came with a programming cable - Prolific unfortunately (i refer FTDI) - but i simply rebooted OSX 10.10.5 to x86 PIXEL, plugged the cable in, ran chirp, downloaded an image from the radio to archive, then copy-and-pasted in my local repeaters into the image file and uploaded to the 8900D - took about 3 minutes or so as i wanted to check off on some of the additional settings.

Next, I attached my Diamond DL-30A dummy load to a Tenma SWR/Watt meter and read off the difference between high and low transmission power on 147MHz - it was roughly 24W and 11W respectively.

The manual is pretty bad, just covering the basics. I'd love to know the temps at which the fan kicks in (i tried one-minute key downs on high power on the workbench, but the unit never even got warm and the fan never came on; maybe after some ragchewing?)

Opening up the radio reveals some really, really tiny SMD work, along with obvious human soldering. The work in my unit seemed clean, and ferrite cores are on the fan and power leads.

Speaking of which, it didn't look easy to swap out the power leads from the radio main board to a thicker gauge. I'll probably add another fuse an do a powerpole termination. The existing power leads are kinda wimpy for me. I wouldn't worry if there was a more flexible power setting menu, but there isn't.

We'll see how some on-air tests go. But so far, it looks OK to me.

ZS6SR Rating: 4/5 Jun 13, 2017 07:29 Send this review to a friend
Very Happy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up my QYT KT8900D about a week ago. I was impressed with the small size and robust construction of the case (I haven't looked inside). I was able to configure it using CHIRP on Linux using the latest daily chirp image. This identified the radio immediately without any fuss. I was able to setup all the repeaters and other settings I needed. I installed the device into my Land Rover Defender 110 using the cigarette lighter provided and had many complaints of "rain" and "hum" noise when transmitting. I took the unit out at home and decided to replace the power wires connected to the cigarette lighter with thicker gauge wires and instead of using the cigarette connector I connected directly to a small motorcycle 12V battery. After doing this I got very good audio reports. From the beginning receiving audio has been excellent. I am very happy with this device. The only comment I can add is that I would love to see these units coming out with a little better mic and amplification capabilities.

K8DXX Rating: 4/5 Mar 30, 2017 09:51 Send this review to a friend
Good for The Price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought this radio and a 1/4 wave 2/440 mag mount when I found that my Baofeng HT didn't have the oomph to communicate here in Sebring, FL. This setup will also make the drive back to Michigan easier. After 3 days of use and ownership, I can say this radio is basically good. RX seems fine with good speaker volume (although there are few really strong signals here). Audio reports are good. Fit and finish seem nice. It is tiny and could be mounter anywhere. I plan to just hold it in my lap. Heating of the case doesn't seem to be a problem. It gets warm but not hot.

I'd like to share a few points I've learned in making this radio usable. As a foreign language major 45 years ago, I think the manual is horrible but what do you want for $85. Here goes:

- The radio's user interface is a lot like Baofeng and other Chinese HTs. You set the frequency and then proceed through 5 - 6 menus to set offset (not automatic), CTCS tone, etc. Very clumsy!
- The programming software provided did not work for me (Windows 10). CHIRP does, which is good news.
- It's far easier to program memories and radio functions (CHRP appears to cover all of them) through software. NOTE Timeout Timer (TOT) is set to 60 seconds. You can increase this value either at the radio or CHIRP.
- I found it easier to set the four "Quad Receive" memories "By Channel"... See CHIRP. Once you get the Q-R frequencies and names programmed, you still have to go through the setting of CTCS tone, offset, etc. using the radio, even though they're stored in memory.
- One scrolls through the Q-R positions using the EXIT/AB mic button (as in ABCD)
- Once you highlight a Q-R entry, you can move up or down by the programmed step by pressing UP/DN (if in VFO or frequency mode). Likewise, you can scroll through memory positions using the UP/DN buttons when in Channel or memory mode.
- There apparently is a mic button to change between VFO and Memory mode but I can't find it. To date, I'm still using the front panel V/M button.

Should you buy it? I see no reason not to. Unless you're a real V/UHF enthusiast (which I am not) it works about as good as a $300 I-K-Y rig. BTW, I got mine off Amazon for $85.88 including software and programming cable. My radio carries the TALKCOOP name (paper sticker) but it appears 100% QYT.

KA4SET Rating: 4/5 Mar 21, 2017 10:23 Send this review to a friend
Good for the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Only had it for a day, but seems good. Audio loud and clear. Doesn't feel cheap, except for the two knobs. Looks good. Got it for my mobile commute.

NC6J Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2017 18:39 Send this review to a friend
works well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
At $85 on Amazon, I figured the low price was worth the risk of a little trouble.
Took it out of the box, powered it up, programmed by hand in about 5 min, (came with a decent English manual), and within 15 minutes had it running as the primary radio on my packet node. Works so well, I will replace the 2nd radio in my node with another 9800D this week.

Also, for it's size, as a mobile install it could easily fit in an ashtray slot.

KJ4FGI Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2017 02:42 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had no problems,it was cheaper than spending $209.00 on a Mirage BD-35 for my Yaesu FT-60r. I paid $89.00 new off eBay, I get very good audio reports, it sounds great and it's small , great for a go box. Vey easy to program without the software. I give it a thumbs up....

G1MQQ Rating: 0/5 Mar 3, 2017 12:13 Send this review to a friend
Rubbish  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Frequency change Hit and miss. Turn the knob too fast and it goes backwards!!
Totally Deaf. S6 signal on my FT3200 DM barely quietens this rig.
End stopping signal from local repeater registers about S5.
Incomprehensible manual.

If you're on a tight budget Spend you money on a used Yeasu Icom Kenwood etc.

MM0ZIF Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2017 08:37 Send this review to a friend
A great little rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When are the big companies going to realise that these guys make their 500 handies look pathetic. I was looking for something that would sit on the dash and not take up a lot of real estate, this rig does exactly that. I programmed it by hand, which didn't take long (data cable coming separately)

Quad Watch is really useful, you'd be surprised how so, and 25w VHF and 20w UHF, at the price if you want a hundred watt output your still cheaper than a competitors handheld with a cheap linear thrown in. It makes no sense to buy big names when these are so robust. the best thing is I have it mounted on a suction cup, hanging from the windscreen (windsheild in the USA)

AD8B Rating: 4/5 Jan 5, 2017 14:05 Send this review to a friend
So far, so good.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've spent about 90 minutes with this rig, all of it programming. (This was my first venture with programming software.) I'm very pleased with the look and feel of the hardware. The QYT-CN programming software for the 8900D is okay. When Windows 10 complained that it already had a newer driver, I went ahead with the installation of the driver downloaded from QYT-CN since the USB cable I received was a Prolific variety. The radio automatically connected to the software when I started it up! I didn't even select the comm port. I'm glad I watched a few YouTube CHIRP videos last week so I knew about Prolific cables and the importance of first reading from the radio. My apprehension about a "cheap" radio and software from China was eased as I was able to feel my way around and program the eight channels I wanted. However, there certainly are quirks. For instance, when you write to the radio or save to disk, the spaces you placed in channel names disappear from the channels table. However, the spaces are still written to the rig. I was not able to figure out how to inhibit transmission on out of band frequencies so programming those is on hold for now. The FM broadcast receiver that drops out for ham activity is a nice idea but it is so much louder than the other activity it's unusable.

I've rated this as a 4 because it looks like it might be just the radio I need for the tiny spot in the pickup I want to use. Also, I am not in an urban environment. Hopefully, this will soon make it to the CHIRP supported list.