Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | Icom SP-38 speaker Help

Reviews Summary for Icom SP-38 speaker
Icom SP-38 speaker Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $$175
Description: Matching speaker for the Icom R8600 receiver and IC-7300

You can write your own review of the Icom SP-38 speaker.

KI7DPP Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2017 22:05 Send this review to a friend
Nice addition  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The built in speaker in the 7300 is not bad, but I just installed the SP-38 and it projects great. Bright and clear sound. Looks and sounds good! Having the speaker directed at you makes a world of difference.
N4UE Rating: 4/5 Jan 15, 2017 12:29 Send this review to a friend
Good, but not great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had the chance to play with this speaker for a while. I'm at a point in my 55 year ham career that I enjoy having matching speakers for all the brand radios in my collection.
Having said that, I also have a huge speaker collection, thanks to the number of thrift stores around here. I have only purchased two, new ham speakers. This Icom SP-38 (to match my 7300) and a Icom SP-33, which was the biggest disappointment in my ham experience.
So, it was with great trepidation I purchased this speaker.
Today I did a A/B/C (SSB) test using the 7300 and a bunch of speakers. I use a speaker 'switcher' I purchased on Amazon and it allows instant comparison of up to 6 speakers at a time.
The SP-38 sounded 'adquate' but not as 'punchy' as the Kenwood KES-5, which still surprises me every time I use it.

I understand everyone's hearing is different. This evaluation is just my results, using my ears.