Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | W6LVP Receiving Amplified Loop with transmit/receive switchbox Help

Reviews Summary for W6LVP Receiving Amplified Loop with transmit/receive switchbox
W6LVP Receiving Amplified Loop with transmit/receive switchbox Reviews: 28 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $295
Description: This amplified receiving loop includes a combination transmit/receive switch and power inserter box for the loop amp that allows radios such as the IC7300 to easily allow a low noise receive antenna and a transmit antenna.
More info: http://www.w6lvp.com

You can write your own review of the W6LVP Receiving Amplified Loop with transmit/receive switchbox.

WPE8EKM Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2017 13:48 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna Soltion  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I contacted Larry Plummer, W6LVP, and was able to purchase the Bias-T preamplifer, the power inserter, and the wall wart power supply. In addiion he built the Bias-T preampllifier with a 1700kHz 11-pole high-pass lter and a 40 mHz low-pass filter.

I then constructed my modified loop with vsrious lengths of LMR400MAX coax: 6’, 9’, 12’, and 18’ lengths. They all work well, but the 6’ and the 18’ (triple coiled) seem to work the best.

I am interested in receiving only as a shortwave dedicated listener. I am especially interested in an amplified magnetic loop that can be compact and taken on sea-kayaking expeditions and adv-bike expeditions to rugged parts of the world. I’ve spent a lot of time teacing in the DRC Congo and hope to return there some day. Having a highly portable antenna is essential.

I’m still working out a tripod and PVC structure, but may aboid that all together. The antenna is presently hung from a windo in my central city apartment.

My other antenna is the outstanding Parr EF-SWL 45’ En-Fedz dipole, which I have strung down my apartment wall from a fifth flor window. The Parr comes with a silver-plated 9:1 Balun whch does an otstanding job reducing QRM and RFI. The sensitivity of the W6LVP amplified magnetic loop antenna is comparable to the Parr, but the reducd noise level on the bands is amazing. Almost a 50db reduction in noise level. The anility to null a signal by rotating the loop axis is a great benefit.

Whether you create your own modified version of the W6LVP amplified magnetic loop antenna or purchase the full model, it is one of the best antennas out there. The quality is impecable and Larry’s customer service is world class.

AOCSGIL Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2017 10:23 Send this review to a friend
A solid performing receive antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
As a SWL... I wanted to acquire a simple high performance receive antenna... having already experimented with various long wire antennas, I decided I wanted a easier listening solution without having to experiment with lengths and types of wire coupled with baluns and antenna tuners... After much research, I learned that a magnetic loop antenna was one of the quietest, effective and fairly simple antennas for quiet(noise interference free) shortwave listening... The only draw back that I found was the high cost of completed receiving loop antennas... After researching and compairing available receiving loop antennas, I soon discovered that the "W6LVP Receiving Amplified Loop Antenna" provided the most bang for the buck and was the best solution for me... What Larry has done with his loop antenna, is to provide the SWL community with a superb performing product at a very reasonable/affordable price... Here are my assessments of the W6LVP Magnetic Loop Receiving Antenna:

Pros:

1. Superb performance (most important aspect)!
2. Outstanding construction and materials.
3. Simplistic design and portability.
4. Exceptional value at an affordable/competitive price.
5. Easy to assemble, clear instructions and informative information.

Cons:

"NONE"... in my opinion.

Bonus:

1. Larry's dedicated customer service and product support.
2. His valued antenna knowledge and troubleshooting/problem solving expertise.
3. Accessibility and quick response to your questions or concerns.
4. Followup on product satisfaction.

In summary... Larry (W6LVP) not only makes a great loop antenna but he also provides outstanding customer service and support. Additionally, it's all included with your purchase making it a total and complete package at a very reasonable price... A++ Thanks again Larry!

Fred (TNSWL)

K7NY Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2017 09:51 Send this review to a friend
works great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It sure cut my noise down here. Living in the city makes it tough at times on the low bands.
Terry
K7NY

AI6EH Rating: 5/5 Oct 31, 2017 11:09 Send this review to a friend
Solved My Problem!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was having a unique problem of not being able to hear a station 20 miles away on 80M for a weekly emergency training net, due to a high noise floor. I ordered a W6LVP receiving antenna with the optional interface box to lock out the magnetic loop's sensitive receive amplifier while transmitting on a separate antenna.

Within a few hours, I received an E-mail from Larry Plummer (W6LVP) cautioning me that he had researched high power power AM broadcast stations in my area, and that I have several closer than 5 miles, with one on 1170 running 50,000 watts. He mentioned one of the great features of an untuned receive-only magnetic loop is that it covers from below 100 kHz to above 30 MHz with no tuning or adjustment. However, that wide bandwidth makes the loop susceptible to overload distortion from very strong nearby AM broadcast transmitters.

Larry offered a solution to this problem is to place an 11-pole 1700 kHz high-pass filter between the loop and the input to the loop preamp. The filter is designed to attenuate the AM broadcast band and all other lower frequencies. (Adding the filter with the antenna shipment, added $65 to the cost while adding it later would add $65 plus $10 for shipping). Since AM broadcast and lower frequencies are not important to me, I decided to order the filter with the antenna.

While I was waiting for delivery of the loop, I ordered an interface cable for my ICOM 7200 radio keying output to control the W6LVP control box. I ordered the cable with an integral relay to isolate my radio completely from the loop electronics.

A few days later the antenna and cable arrived, just in time for the weekly net. I was delighted to finally be able to hear Net Control through the reduced band noise. And, as far as I could tell, the loop performed as well on receive as my 80M long terminated folded dipole loop up 35 feet (I know, it should be higher!). The loop amplifier worked fine, even though the magnetic loop was only a few feet from my 32-foot vertical transmitting antenna.

Bottom line: If you are considering a magnetic receive-only loop antenna, you will not likely find better support and customer satisfaction than Larry's W6LVP loop. Johnny Twist (K5ACL) posted a great YouTube video demonstration of the W6LVP mag loop antenna.

NN3RP Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2017 18:33 Send this review to a friend
Great Receiving Ant!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A few months ago my long time, undisputable, vertical active antenna from Clifton Labs (Z1501 Active antenna) amp went south and it cannot be repaired. DX Engineering had acquired the assets of Jack Smith (rip) but there is no substitute for the damaged transistor. So I have a door stopper. They suggested their similar active antenna.

So the search began. I saw all the others but decided on the W6LVP.

I add my own observations before and after I set it up this weekend:

- Initial communication with Larry was really helpful and full of advice
- set it up for RX firstly
- added a piece of PVC 5’ to extend the length of the supplied PVC as suggested in the, easy to follow, instructions. I sprayed the PVC black
- A small tripod holds the mast / rotor / antenna system in place
- The loop is about 20’ high.
- I am happy camper with its RX performance
- the addition of a small rotor really enhances its capabilities as is expected of a loop system
- Since I leave in DC, broadcasting TV / Radio stations abound. The additional filtering suggested by Larry are necessary to avoid / eliminate those pesky signals
- the signals are super clean

After tests of only receiving, the T/R switch was connected through the transceiver / Amp by way of PTT RCA connectors. The T/R protects my several receivers. Run tests with amp on. Results as expected.

I am back in business!

Thanks, Larry for a great, cost effective, product.

Rafael / NN3RP

KA7U Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2017 19:16 Send this review to a friend
Great little HF antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It is an antenna that can compete with most dipoles and longwires, but it covers the HF band from 60KHz to 30MHz +. I have it connected to a KiwiSDR and it is an impressive performer. W6lVP worked to make sure I was successful with this antenna. He provided me with an AM notch filter for 1260AM and it works very well. I just don't have a complaint!
Thanks for a great antenna.

K2KMC Rating: 5/5 Aug 3, 2017 13:02 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got the W6LVP Receive Loop with the T/R switchbox for use with my IC-7300 transceiver. Had problems with strong broadcast interference. Discussed it with Larry/W6LVP, and without hesitation, he shipped me the loop amp with built-in filters to try... it removed practically all the BCI and a lot of other noise I had been experiencing. Have the loop mounted on a rotator about 9 feet up. Works great. Thanks for a fine product and truly outstanding customer service. Henry/K2KMC

NA6TE Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2017 08:58 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If you are looking for a receive antenna that will all but eliminate interfering noise, then this is the one. There are other loop antennas on the market but in most cases are much more money. MFJ just came out with a new product (RX loop antenna) and it looks and offers the same specifications as W6LVP offers. (coincidence?)
However, this is where the true difference is.
I happen to have rented a place within 1000 yds from a 5000w commercial AM station (910mhz) along with the horrible power line noise in the area. I purchased the loop antenna from W6LVP and installed and hooked up to my FTDX-5000. The 5000 with a HP filter for 1.7mhz helped on the dipole but could not hear some of the fellows in the group I talk with every morning on 75mtrs.
After the installation of the loop I noticed strong harmonics as far as the 4th. After talking it over with Larry he built a filter within his amplifier box at the antenna. The filter was wired prior to the amplifier so as not to amplify the garbage. Larry tested the new filter on a station near him on the same 910mhz frequency (10k watts) and within the same distance +/- a couple 100 yds.
I installed the new filter over the weekend and it is working wonderfully.
I find it very enlightening that there are still hams that enjoy the hobby to go to that much trouble to make his product work in a different environment..
I guarantee you will not find that kind of dedication with the “new loop from ?” short of sending it back for a refund.
If you are a ham that has known or unknown noise that is a detriment to receiving distant signals, I encourage you to speak with Larry Plummer W6LVP and explain your situation and if you decide on purchasing one of his loops, I guarantee you won’t be disappointed.
Nate NA6TE

K6JEY Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2017 20:13 Send this review to a friend
Well made and Works Well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had a number of commercially made and home made loops for VLF and LF. This one is excellent for portable work and packs easily. It is also made of first rate components. Properly taped up, with the included tape, it should last nicely outside. On 20m it equaled a vertical antenna at about the same height. An excellent loop. Great service from Larry.

K7KNM Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2017 15:03 Send this review to a friend
This is an invaluable antenna to add to a ham station  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Current noisy hf band conditions have made listening on the ham bands, particularly 160-20 meters, often times an unpleasant experience. The noise floor is up on most antenna - xcvr/ receiver setups. My electrically quiet HOA antenna restricted location and Yaesu FT-1000 + amp / home brew, well- installed flag pole vertical have not been immune.

Therefore , I purchased the W6VLP amplified receive only magnetic loop antenna which arrived via Fed-Ex after an informative telecon with Larry Plummer, the owner of the company making the warranted antenna. The loop instructions were excellent. I mounted the loop on a Blackmore speaker stand ( 6' tall available from Amazon for $24) in a tree shrouded garden in the corner of my backyard. Installation took minutes. Loop construction and the preamp were both well- made.

The loop works superbly. Virtually all signals are peaked with many emerging out of the noise floor. My vertical does the transmitting and I normally listen on the loop which is quiet. Most of the QRN is significantly reduced, or in many cases virtually eliminated leaving the signal I want to listen to. While signal strength on the loop is normally about the same as on the vertical the "garbage" is mostly ,or completely gone.

HF Ham radio during this current sunspot low is fun again at my QTH. I recommend this antenna without reservation. If your xcvr has twin receivers and a separate receive antenna jack like mine, you can have the added bonus of diversity reception.