Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | W6LVP Receiving Amplified Loop with transmit/receive switchbox Help

Reviews Summary for W6LVP Receiving Amplified Loop with transmit/receive switchbox
W6LVP Receiving Amplified Loop with transmit/receive switchbox Reviews: 31 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $295
Description: This amplified receiving loop includes a combination transmit/receive switch and power inserter box for the loop amp that allows radios such as the IC7300 to easily allow a low noise receive antenna and a transmit antenna.
More info: http://www.w6lvp.com

You can write your own review of the W6LVP Receiving Amplified Loop with transmit/receive switchbox.

NA6TE Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2017 08:58 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If you are looking for a receive antenna that will all but eliminate interfering noise, then this is the one. There are other loop antennas on the market but in most cases are much more money. MFJ just came out with a new product (RX loop antenna) and it looks and offers the same specifications as W6LVP offers. (coincidence?)
However, this is where the true difference is.
I happen to have rented a place within 1000 yds from a 5000w commercial AM station (910mhz) along with the horrible power line noise in the area. I purchased the loop antenna from W6LVP and installed and hooked up to my FTDX-5000. The 5000 with a HP filter for 1.7mhz helped on the dipole but could not hear some of the fellows in the group I talk with every morning on 75mtrs.
After the installation of the loop I noticed strong harmonics as far as the 4th. After talking it over with Larry he built a filter within his amplifier box at the antenna. The filter was wired prior to the amplifier so as not to amplify the garbage. Larry tested the new filter on a station near him on the same 910mhz frequency (10k watts) and within the same distance +/- a couple 100 yds.
I installed the new filter over the weekend and it is working wonderfully.
I find it very enlightening that there are still hams that enjoy the hobby to go to that much trouble to make his product work in a different environment..
I guarantee you will not find that kind of dedication with the “new loop from ?” short of sending it back for a refund.
If you are a ham that has known or unknown noise that is a detriment to receiving distant signals, I encourage you to speak with Larry Plummer W6LVP and explain your situation and if you decide on purchasing one of his loops, I guarantee you won’t be disappointed.
Nate NA6TE

K6JEY Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2017 20:13 Send this review to a friend
Well made and Works Well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had a number of commercially made and home made loops for VLF and LF. This one is excellent for portable work and packs easily. It is also made of first rate components. Properly taped up, with the included tape, it should last nicely outside. On 20m it equaled a vertical antenna at about the same height. An excellent loop. Great service from Larry.

K7KNM Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2017 15:03 Send this review to a friend
This is an invaluable antenna to add to a ham station  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Current noisy hf band conditions have made listening on the ham bands, particularly 160-20 meters, often times an unpleasant experience. The noise floor is up on most antenna - xcvr/ receiver setups. My electrically quiet HOA antenna restricted location and Yaesu FT-1000 + amp / home brew, well- installed flag pole vertical have not been immune.

Therefore , I purchased the W6VLP amplified receive only magnetic loop antenna which arrived via Fed-Ex after an informative telecon with Larry Plummer, the owner of the company making the warranted antenna. The loop instructions were excellent. I mounted the loop on a Blackmore speaker stand ( 6' tall available from Amazon for $24) in a tree shrouded garden in the corner of my backyard. Installation took minutes. Loop construction and the preamp were both well- made.

The loop works superbly. Virtually all signals are peaked with many emerging out of the noise floor. My vertical does the transmitting and I normally listen on the loop which is quiet. Most of the QRN is significantly reduced, or in many cases virtually eliminated leaving the signal I want to listen to. While signal strength on the loop is normally about the same as on the vertical the "garbage" is mostly ,or completely gone.

HF Ham radio during this current sunspot low is fun again at my QTH. I recommend this antenna without reservation. If your xcvr has twin receivers and a separate receive antenna jack like mine, you can have the added bonus of diversity reception.

N8DC Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2017 04:56 Send this review to a friend
Nice Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am doing this review for a friend that has purchased and installed one of Larrys loop antennas . I was actually the installer. After mounting the antenna on a pole about 8 feet off the ground and hooking every thing up it seemed that the antenna was deaf ! The owner of the antenna called Larry and Larry gave him a couple suggestions on what to look for. Since we are a few miles away and my schedule the way it was before I went back to my friends to do some more trouble shooting I called Larry myself. Larry bent over backwards and went out of his way to ship a new pre amp and switch box for the antenna. He also after talking again with my friend sent 100 feet of coax just in case. Larry also sent a return label to ship everything back. I wish I could actually tell you all what the problem was but after changing out everything but the coax the antenna came to life. There some other tips Larry suggested that were done also with the BNC connections . The end result is the antenna is working FB and my friend KC8DMH is tickled pink ! The next step is to put it on a small rotor to help null out the noise. I rate Larry and his antenna as well as his support at a 10 . Really now days its hard to find a guy that will work with you like Larry has done .

JAKEG Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2017 06:20 Send this review to a friend
I ordered a second one  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got the first loop from Larry about a month ago after doing some careful research on the more expensive loops as well as another active loop at near the same price.

This loop works very well and has exceeded my expectations in most cases.

I've been testing it with both an SDRPlay RSP-1 and an Icom R75 and have found the W6LVP loop up about 16 ft and away from the main house to equal both my Inverted V antennas and the Delta loops in most cases. Sometimes the deltas would outperform the loop by a small margin and sometimes the loop would be the winner.

After testing this loop for a month I decided to order another one for both portable operation and to dedicate one loop to each receiver (RSP-1 and R75).

Larry's help with questions and his technical expertise on this loop, along with his friendly and prompt customer service were the determining factors on the initial purchase. His continued support and the loop's excellent performance made it a no brainer to purchase the second one.

WA2JHS Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2017 04:09 Send this review to a friend
Well built and works  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I live in a "retirement" HOA and of course, no antennas allowed...tried indoor antennas, but the noise from devices are high. I hid an end fed in the trees and that works ok...decided to try one of Larry's loop antenna's I saw advertised on another website to see if I could get the noise from my house down (it's only s3-5 on my endfed)..I opted to buy just the amp/inserter and build my on loop (used 3/8" copper tubing)...at first I didn't see much difference but after trying it on several bands and different times of the day I am now impressed....especially on cw, I can now hear sigs that were in the noise on my endfed...it also makes listening to all the bands much more comfortable since it lowers the overall noise floor..I am using an sdrplay for a receiver and it shows the snr..generally the snr is much better....so if you want a product that works (as long as it isn't 2 feet from your noise source) and a guy who stands behind his product, then buy one and give it a try...excellent!

N2FH Rating: 5/5 May 2, 2017 17:35 Send this review to a friend
Does the Job  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Upon ordering the Tx/Rx model, I received a tracking number within an hour and it was delivered within a few days. I live in a townhouse (no outside antennas) with high noise levels (from plasma TV's, etc.) on 160 & 80 meters. The W6LVP Loop does a great job in reducing interference. I could easily null out most unwanted signals. The key is increasing S/N ratio. It is well built, portable and gets the job done! Also great for Shortwave Listening as well. Very happy with purchase.

K4IIE Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2017 06:06 Send this review to a friend
works   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Been using it on 80 and 40 with excellent results.Usually see a difference of 5 to 7 S units of noise reduction.The signal level drops along with the noise so the station is much easier to copy.Have found that on some signals the loop is louder than the ocf dipole at 70 ft.Have not used it on 160 yet but expect the it to perform as well.It's up about 20 ft,,using a tv mast/rotator and RG8X.Larry was very helpful with questions.Great antenna and and service.Highly recommended.

K6HR Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2017 18:27 Send this review to a friend
Perfect RX-ONLY Solution w/1K-FA  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently upgraded my HF amplifier to an Expert 1K-FA so I could connect my Flex radios in an SO2R configuration. My research on the amp eventually lead to RX ONLY Loop antennas. I liked what I'd read about the W6LVP Loop, and, it was half the price of the other two loops I was considering. I must say I am very pleased with the results 'right out of the box'. Wow! It hears great on all bands, and the low noise RX is really a pleasure! Far less fatiguing as I listen. I have it setup on a test stand in the backyard 8ft above the ground and have been doing comparisons with my other antennas for days now. I'm convinced this was a great addition to my shack. My only concern is how well the plastic parts will hold up under the harsh California sun. The W6LVP Loop was the perfect solution for my SO2R station. Before the loop I was using a 130ft dipole as my RX ONLY. The noise level is so dramatically lower with the loop that it took some panadapter (and operator) adjustments to get it all dialed in! Highly recommended! Super fast delivery. Setup in 5 minutes. Make sure you have a couple of SO239/BNC adapters for your coax! Hi! You can believe it, everything they say about this loop antenna is true! Hats off to W6LVP!

K4WS Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2017 06:43 Send this review to a friend
Great little loop!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this in early March and have been very
impressed with its bringing the weak stations out of the noise. I have very limited space and beverages are not possible. Larry is super helpful
on technical questions and very responsive. He sent me an extra control box when I asked about an older rig, other than my FTDX3000-at no cost but shipping cost for him. I thought I had an
intermittent problem with my amp outside and he sent me another amp to try asap at his shipping cost. Very honest, friendly and wants the customer to be happy. I worked 5u5r, tu7c, 9g5x with this little loop bringing them out of the static on 160. I now have a rotor but the season is about over. I turned it to v31ma last night and
he came out of the terribly high qrn on 80 cw when I did so. It works and about 1/2 the price
of the others. Thanks Larry!