Reviews Categories | QRP Radios (5 watts or less) | Four State QRP Group - Bayou Jumper Transceiver Help

Reviews Summary for Four State QRP Group - Bayou Jumper Transceiver
Four State QRP Group - Bayou Jumper Transceiver Reviews: 3 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $86
Description: Return with us now to those thrilling days of yesteryear" and build the Bayou Jumper. The name "Bayou Jumper" is a play on "Ocean Hopper", a famous regenerative receiver of a bygone era. It retains that great retro look but with modernized circuitry. With it's distinctive panel and wood box enclosure it pays homage to the famous spy radios of WWII. It is designed for the CW segment of the 40 meters.
More info: http://www.4sqrp.com/bayouJumper.php

You can write your own review of the Four State QRP Group - Bayou Jumper Transceiver.

WB0FDJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2017 14:23 Send this review to a friend
Very nice QRP kit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well I'm not an engineer but have built several kits over the years. I'd made the decision that I had enough of them when I ran across this radio kit from Four States QRP. There were several things about the radio that immediately attracted me: a regenerative receiver, which I had never used but always wanted to, an efficient 5 watt transmitter and a package that is designed similar to the old spy parasets that were used in WWII.

My kit came quickly. All parts accounted for. A very well designed board. Instructions are crystal clear. There is also a lot of discussion about how it works, so I got a great education on regen's. Once together I noted that the the IRF-510, used for reverse voltage protection, was running very hot. I posted a question about this to the Yahoo group and the kit's guru replied with instructions within 30 minutes! A few minutes later the ham who kit's these things sent me a note saying the part was going in the mail!. I am impressed with the support for this radio.

My receiver covers 7.020 to 7.168. I already had several crystals on hand so I am good to go. I get 5 watts very clean CW out. This kit is definitely a keeper. If you enjoy QRP operation and building kits this is a very good kit and a lot of bang for the buck.

AE5KA Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2017 09:41 Send this review to a friend
Terrific Little "Spy" Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Extremely well designed and simple 40m CW transceiver from the non-profit, just for fun, 4SQRP group. The kit went together quickly and easily and worked from the start. No test instruments are required to get it calibrated and running - another receiver is all you really need. It sounds great and puts out a good signal. Mine makes a measured 4 watts. It is "rockbound" of course, and two crystals are supplied, but you can use any 40m FT243 crystal, which defines the transmitter frequency. The receiver is a sensitive regenerative design which will cover about 150 KHz of the 40m band. The whole works fits perfectly into a small wooden box from Hobby Lobby, which you are able to finish any way you like - or not. Lots of fun, and it looks really cool.

N3HEE Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2017 06:22 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding !!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ran across the Bayou Jumper by accident and couldn’t help buying one. Just way too cool!! The kit shipped fast and went together quick and easy. It comes with very good documentation and has a dedicated Yahoo group for support. I decided to put mine in a vintage 1955 record player case. However, it was designed to fit into an off the shelf wooden box sold by Hobby Lobby. The receiver is super sensitive and works very well. The transmitter delivers a full 5 watts and is a very efficient class E design drawing very little current. I have made a dozen contacts with it so far and have had more fun with this little rig than I've had in quite a while.