Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | DX Commander antannas Help

Reviews Summary for DX Commander antannas
DX Commander antannas Reviews: 4 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $45
Description: 10m Telescopic Vertical antenna supports and complete
multi-band antennas
More info: http://www.m0mcx.co.uk/dx-commander-pre-production-testing-all-band-vertical/

You can write your own review of the DX Commander antannas.

MW0BRO Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2017 04:55 Send this review to a friend
Versatile & Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had this antenna for a few months now.

I bought it after watching Callum's extensive videos and speaking with him personally.

I found him to be a very personable character, very generous with his time and also very knowledgeable about his creation.

Sorry to use a cliche but, "it does what it says on the tin".

As Callum explains in his videos, you'll need a little bit of time for faffing around with it, burying the radials and cutting the elements to length etc.

Once this has been done, you're good to go.

An antenna analyser is a distinct advantage (I didn't have one) to save a lot of jogging back and fore to the shack. But it can be achieved without one, it's just a bit frustrating.

I've ended up with a 4 element versions, 40m, 30m, 20m & 17m quarter waves. The 40m element of course works as a 5/8 wave on 15m.

I did try it with 10m and 12m elements also but I failed to get those to resonate.

However, with my onboard tuner on my old Icom 746 it selects one of the wires to work quite effectively on 12m, 10m & 6m.

I have used a SOTABeams guying ring over the third from top pole section to guy the pole at a top level also. This guying ring is effectively an inch square piece of plastic with 4 holes drilled in it, very lightweight.

However, using this antenna as a permanent fixture will require some monitoring of the weather forecast here in the UK as in high winds there is going to be some pole damage over time.

But Callum's simple design means that this antenna is very simple to lay down prior to a storm arriving; You simply unhook the 3 carabiners from the lower spreader, disconnect the red wire from SO239 to element plate and lay the pole down.

I have quite long paracord guy ropes for the top guying system which allows me to just slacken off so they don't even have to be disconnected.

Notwithstanding these limitations during high winds, the only negative I've had to deal with is to give the elements a bit of a shake when they've become snagged on the jubilee clips on occasion of twisted together during a bit of wind but this is only very occasional and not a hinderance to operating at all.

I'd previously had only a balanced fed doublet to use on all bands 80-6 and this antenna has been MUCH better. I regularly work into ZL on 40m and getting through to DX is a hell of a lot easier. Even allowing for the fact that it's a vertical with the associated noise level, I can hear stations on the DX Commander that I cannot hear at all when I switch back to the doublet.

All in all, this is a great antenna, for a great price. The quality of the engineered parts is excellent. The time and knowledge put into this project by Callum is exceptional.

I've enjoyed every element of learning about, purchasing, erecting and using this antenna. It's a fantastic concept, quite simple in it's design and best of all, it gets results.

I'm looking at buying another for /P use although it wouldn't take long to just disconnect the radials from the radial plate, slacken off the jubilee clips and just retract the antenna intact ready for re-erection in the field with a second set of radials.

2E0EZG Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2017 01:25 Send this review to a friend
Brilliant & Versatile  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought 1 having watch all the videos. Being new and enthusiastic to Amateur radio I was inspired by some of the ideas shown on the site and plan to use during various camping trips this year.

I put it up a few times to experience what it was like and instantly saw the quality and thought that had been put into it. So much so I went and bought another.

The first is now in my garden, temporarily acting as a mid span support for my 80m doublet. The second I use weekly on a baseplate I had made which gives a solid support so I can use it /p. I use it with either a homebrew slimjim, a 2Mtr Halo or even a Diamond 5ele beam about 7 mtr up.

This product fills you with confidence that although it may wave around in the wind it feels robust and quality.

G3VDS Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2017 10:13 Send this review to a friend
Good quality product  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the 10m telescoping fibreglass pole from Callum in autumn 2015. Despite my rough treatment of it it has refused to break and handling 30 feet of whippy tubing can be tricky. Follow the instructions on his website. They are the voice of experience!
I'm now assembling all the bits to erect the multi band vertical. Not done it yet but it's all reassuringly well made and going to work out to be a very reasonably priced antenna. There is plenty of scope for experimentation with this design.

2E0SDV Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2017 14:45 Send this review to a friend
Amazing  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of these on a deal a few years ago at a rally and come rain or shine, the thing is still standing. No matter what I have done, It hasn't broke. Up to 70 mph winds at the top of the hill where i live, and no signs of damage. I am very impressed. I even went and bought another one from Callum last year with his "all-band" assemblies and have made all sorts of brilliant antennas. Great fun making them from scratch and working the DX.
Amazingly Callum replies to queries very quickly and he always has something new up his sleeve to try. A genuine keen professional hobbyist.
and I'm pleased to see that he has branched out to selling them world wide using Ebay's world-wide shipping program. I'm sure people are going to love them!
Thoroughly recommended and a very satisfied customer.. Top Notch