Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu VX-150 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu VX-150
Yaesu VX-150 Reviews: 263 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $170
Description: 2m Vertex / Yaesu 5W handheld.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu VX-150.

KG4NVV Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2013 10:52 Send this review to a friend
Still Plugging Along After 12 Years!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well, my VX-150 is still chugging along merrily after 12 years of ownership! It has taken quite a beating and still keeps on ticking. It did yeoman work during the spring of 2011 after the massive tornado outbreak that devastated the north Alabama area, during which it spent a good bit of time on my belt while I was handling a chainsaw and doing other cleanup work during that rough episode of history. I had no problem reaching our local repeater (that was used to coordinate relief teams) at 12 miles or more with the supplied rubber duck antenna. This antenna is much better than the junky one that Yaesu supplies with the FT-60R! Yaesu has definitely come up with a winner in this rig, and it will probably go down as a legend in amateur radio history, along with the HTX-202.

N7DMA Rating: 5/5 May 13, 2013 19:38 Send this review to a friend
Tough Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ok. I've had mine for the better part of 12 years, so I guess I can make a fair reviewer now.

Tough little rig! I gotta say, this thing has been through the wringer, and still performs like a champ! I use it for special events, hiking, camping, and a bunch of stuff I don't even remember!

It's been dropped, kicked, rained and snowed on. This is my go-to rig for all my outdoor activities. I beat the crap out of this thing... takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin"!

I bought an FT-60 a few months back, because I wanted a dual-band HT.... and because the accessories fit the VX-150.

So, now, I have an FT-60, and the VX-150. The FT-60 sits at home (afraid to scratch the display face!), and the '150 goes with me, sporting a new Ni-Mh battery pack, along with a dry-cell battery pack as well. All accessories between the two are interchangeable.

They don't make 'em like this anymore. I expect my VX-150 to last many years into the future!

If you can find one used, GET IT! Best HT ever!

The only down side is the SMA antenna connector. Bad move (IMHO), but it still works FB. I use an sma to bnc adapter for my antenna connection.

Get the programming software to make life a bit easier... but it took me more than a decade to make that move!

Karl
N7DMA

KE7SZC Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2012 19:54 Send this review to a friend
Incerdibly tough little radio!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This radio is really hard to kill!!! The menus are straightforward, the menu system is easy to learn, and all of the features you need are right at your fingertips, the keypad is backlit and very well labeled for both dtmf and alternate functions.

The output of this rig is incredible, 5-watts from the battery pack, the metal case and famous Yaesu waterproofing are all there, the radio doesn't weigh too much to carry comfortably, and has quite the lifespan on the supplied NiCd battery pack, the only upgrade I could suggest is to upgrade to the NiMh battery pack for the VX-170, short of that, this is one bad boy HT!!!

The only complaint I have about the radio is that the rubber cover for the microphone and charger jacks finally gave up after four years of abuse including sweltering heat, rain, sand and mud!

For a monoband HT, this is a very good investment, and one that is without regret, well done Yaesu.....

KJ7GI Rating: 5/5 Dec 3, 2011 14:41 Send this review to a friend
One tough little radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months

I've had two of these since they first came out (12 - 15 years or so). They were both modified for MARS and I use them every summer while working for the Forest Service. Can't imagine how many hows on these rigs but it's a lot(got to be 8k - 10k hrs easy!) Never had a lick of trouble.
They now run all day. One at home on the charger, for my wife, and the other stays with me. 12 hours a day every day.
If there's a tougher hand held VHF rig out there (amatuer or commercial) i'd like to see it. Mine get tossed into a pack-back, the glove box, back seat, floor, tool box...you name it. I don't know why they still work!
I did order the Smiley antenna for Govn't freq's but keep the stock stubby antenna for back-up.
This has been the most reliable device of any kind that I've ever owned and they're still going strong. Too bad they don't make them any more.
Mike/KJ7GI

KD0JWY Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2011 18:55 Send this review to a friend
My favorite single band HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
this is KD0JWY and this little radio I bought as a scanner radio before I even knew what amateur radio was. I used it to monitor the RR band and slowly scanned all of the bands it was able to receive and discovered Amateur radio. I used it to listen to severe weather net's in the area as regular club nets every week. I got curious and got my license. I owe a lot to this radio. It's very easy to program on the spot, very good battery, great audio both in and out of the radio. I don't have anything negative to say about it. I wished I didn't sell it but needed to upgrade to a multi band HT. If you are looking for a single band HT definitely grab this one. 73's from KD0JWY

KI6ADA Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2011 18:07 Send this review to a friend
5 years and still great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first ham radio. A fathers Day present when I got my Tech in June 2005. The only thing I suggest is a higher gain antenna. I am using a Diamond ht antenna. I kept the stock antenna to show comparison.. If you find one get it!! The replacement model is just fine, too.

KD7OQC Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2011 13:27 Send this review to a friend
10 years, lots of use. No problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had a pair of VX-150's for almost 10 years now. When we had the tornadoes come through northern Alabama two weeks ago, I was supporting relief operations 12 hours a day for 3 days, then intermittently thereafter. Sometimes I was transmitting so much that one of the radios would get hot, so I would switch to the other. I would use a set of alkalines all day, and monitor the voltage level of the batteries with two key strokes (we didn't have power to recharge the battery packs.) Mine are early Japanese made radios.

Durable, easy to learn, excellent audio. If the FT-250 is this good, I would highly recommend it.

K1YPB Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2011 16:58 Send this review to a friend
Commercial Grade Quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had mine for 6 years now... still on the original battery. I got the AAA battery carrier when extra run time is needed. This radio has never let me down and is very very durable. A very good value for the money (as can be seen by the number of positive evaluations). You will not be disappointed. Plenty of audio volume and easy to operate. The optional speaker mike is a recommended option for mobile operation. Put the handheld in the cup holder and use the speaker mike. Great for local operation. This is a keeper.

G4TUP Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2010 08:42 Send this review to a friend
Top Notch Handie!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my VX150 for almost two years now and can thoroughly recommend it. Extremely ruggedly made, sensitive receiver, intuitive operation, great battery life, just a great rig! I prefer it to the VX170 because with the 150 on your belt you can see the screen, with the 170 it's facing straight out away from you.

Of course I threw away the included rubber duck and bought a Watson 2/70 SMA antenna which improves the reception even more:

My ONLY one small criticism is that the volume control is close to the antenna so making it a little difficult to switch the rig off.

HINT: I bought the quick charger from HK, about a quarter of the price of it in the UK!

AA8KY Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2010 19:51 Send this review to a friend
Good starter  Time owned: more than 12 months
Easy to program. I got two batteries with mine. Works well on APRS too. And the cigarette plug also fits my VX6 This is my home HT for local use. Only paid $100 and got a rebate.