Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu VX-150 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu VX-150
Yaesu VX-150 Reviews: 263 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $170
Description: 2m Vertex / Yaesu 5W handheld.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu VX-150.

W1WOW Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2009 18:08 Send this review to a friend
A Best Buy  Time owned: more than 12 months
For a basic 2 meter hand-held and for the money you just can't beat this radio. I have 3 of them, all were purchased on ebay used for less then $100 each.(usually around $85 a piece) Solid rig, nice features, fair battery life, just a nice radio.

KE5IRD Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2009 19:31 Send this review to a friend
Great radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my first HT - and I still love it. I've used it mobile, on foot, and as a packet radio. Right now, it's doing APRS tracking duty in my truck.

Nice versatile radio that can be found easily for under $100.

K8WRQ Rating: 5/5 Sep 11, 2009 19:03 Send this review to a friend
Excellent HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned a VX-150 since Hamvention 2004. I really enjoy this radio. It's done everything I've ever asked of it. The metal frame makes it extremely rugged. This rig has taken a couple of accidental falls over the years and it has never been any worse for the wear.

The scan speed of memories is acceptable. Reception is great, and with a decent aftermarket HT antenna I can speak on a repeater approx 15 miles away (as the crow flies) on the medium power setting. Not bad from inside the house. I've been switching between batteries on this HT several times a week for 5 years. My battery latch is still completely fine. I find it odd that other reviewers give the radio poor ratings because they broke the latch in the first week or even day of ownership when mine has been opened and closed in the neighborhood of 750 times without incident. Having said that, if Yaesu would have put the latch on the battery instead of the radio, it would be a much simpler problem to fix if the latch did break. I don't expect any problems from mine, however.

My radio came with the 700mAh NiCad when I bought it. Since then, I have added the dry-cell case with 2000mAh Eneloops. The Yaesu 1400mAh NiMH they come with from the factory now are a also a huge improvement over the old NiCad, but the dry-cell case with good quality NiMH's is an even better solution and cheaper in the long run.

I have used this HT as a VHF scanner for some background noise when I'm working late in an empty building, WX radio, volunteer SAR work, rag chewing on the local repeaters, chatting with friends on simplex, and even use it with over-the-window SMA mounts as a mobile rig when I'm in rental cars. I've never found a single situation where I wished this radio would do something differently or better than it did....and that's the best endorsement I can think of.

I will probably buy another one of these to put in the closet for the eventual day when mine bites the dust...though I don't expect that day to be any time soon.

KC9MSG Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2009 08:14 Send this review to a friend
really sweet talkie  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
just bought this talkie last sunday at a local ham fest. i had a yaesu vx-170 and sold it to a friend, wish i didnt since i bought 3 other talkies that were ok but not as good as the yaesu, so when i saw the vx-150 this weekend i had to buy it. It has almost the same features the 170 does and at least you can hear the speaker unlike the other talkies i have. only complaint i have so far is the display size wish it was larger.

N4MJG Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2009 09:22 Send this review to a friend
Awsome HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my 2nd HT,I GAVE MY GF my old one to her.it never failed yet,it been drop few times ,but keep right on ticking !!!!

Jackie
HAM RADIO SINCE AUG 2001
GENERAL LIC SINCE MARCH 17,2007

KD5OCZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2009 05:43 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After spending some time with this handheld, I enjoy it. When walking it is securely held in the swivel holster. In the car it is attached to the mag mount and clipped onto the visor. The slanted digital display is just about right for reading in this position. A flat mounted display would not be usable in this position. I did make KG6MVB's step down voltage regulator to not blow the finals when using the automobiles voltage system. I would highly recommend this unit to anybody that can live without the latest bells and whistles.

KD8EFM Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2009 09:43 Send this review to a friend
Great Value for the Money  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my first radio when I got my Tech Lic. What a great little radio, I use a MFJ Hand mike, the audio is not as clear with the hand mike but more convienient. I also use a external Ant in the car and use it as my modile when driving around town.
Very Rugged, quality construction. I would recommend it to anyone when looking for a 2meter HT.

Not alot of bells and whistles but what do you expect when you can get it for $100 from some dealers. Great battery life. My next will be a HT with dual frequency range.

There are lots of MODS out their to extend the frequency range, but I'm not one to make modificaitons on my equipment, I like to keep my warranty.

N6BOB Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2009 21:09 Send this review to a friend
Great 2 Meter HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
The low price makes this an excellent value in a 2 Meter HT. Can be found as low as $95 plus shipping at some dealer's recently. Strong, with a metal case and 3 power levels with a 1400 ma battery makes long QSO's. No need to worry about running out of power with this big capacity battery. I go for long walk and talk for a half hour and still have plenty of power left in the battery do to this a second time the next day.
The Yaesu speaker mike works well but one must use the little clip (included) that hold it in it's socket while clipped to the antenna base. This clip pulls the plug up close and keeps it from pulling out. This is my second VX-150 and I have bought extra ones to make available for our new local hams who want a new HT at my cost.
It is very popular in our area with it's included drop in charger and simple programming. Other brands cost much more and offer no additional value except for slightly better receiver audio.

KR4EY Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2009 18:55 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a very nice HT. I was looking at other models and decided on the VX-150 and am glad I made the right choice. This is not a submersible radio like others so the transmit audio is very good. This was the main selling point for me, I did not want to buy a new radio and have to mods on it right away. I had a VX-7 a few years ago so this was easy to program, I just had to glance through the manual, this was the first HT I had picked up in years and was surprised how easy it was. This is your basic 2 meter hand held with a lot of features, I can see this is a very rugged radio and will last me a long time.

KC2KUY Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2009 17:31 Send this review to a friend
Great little radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well i got mine about 4 weeks ago and love it. I replaced the Icom IC-v85 with it and it was a great choice. I would recommend it to anyone that wants a great radio...Only downfall the mic connector the mic pops out real easy.....

Overall LOVE IT!!!!!!!