Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu FT-65R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-65R
Yaesu FT-65R Reviews: 23 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $$169
Description: The FT-65R is a very compact, ruggedly constructed
Handheld VHF/UHF with three selectable power settings 5W
/ 2.5W / .5W allowing each user to select the power they
need. The big front speaker provides a full 1 watt of
crisp, clear audio quality. The unit comes supplied with
a 1950mAh Li-ion battery pack capable of over 9 hours of
operation, with an optional higher capacity 2500mAh Li-
ion battery for over 11.5 hours of operating time. A 2.5
hour rapid charger comes standard, making the transceiver
ready to operate at any time. Our newly designed large
white LED displays are vibrant and highly visible. Four
Quick Recall Keys (QRK) are user programmable to
instantly recall favorite channels with just the push of
a button. VOX operation is available with the optional
Earpiece Microphone SSM-512B. Other useful features
included: versatile scanning capabilities such as
Programmable VFO Scan, Memory Scan, Priority Channel
Scan, and Weather Alert Scan, WX Channels with "Severe
Weather" Alert, PC Programming, Transceiver-to-
Transceiver Cloning, FM Broadcast Receiver, Automatic
Range Transponder System (ARTS), CTCSS/ DCS Operation,
Busy Channel Lockout (BLCO), Automatic Power Off feature,
and Transmitter Time Out Timer (TOT).

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-65R.

KK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2018 14:48 Send this review to a friend
Great addition to Yaesu like  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have had rwo weeks to play with this since our friend Steven at HRO VA plopped one in my backpack at the Orlando HamCation. Don’t believe the guys in reviews below who complain about paying $160 or more....these radios are readily available for a little more than $100 to $120 at most ham dealers. Despite trash talk from the haters and crabs here, the radio is sturdy with thick plastic and metal and will last a long time. Yaesu now posts FREE programming software on the ft-65r page, so finding the right cable (rt systems has both) for around $50, and it’s quick and easy to download and use. Aesthetically the radio looks a lot like one of the smaller Motorola commercial rigs, right down to the red button on top. I used a subscription to Radio Reference to mark appropriately mark and paste all the Brevard County ham repeaters. There are 10 different “folders” available for different sets of freqs...ham, utilitaries, law enforcement, etc. Switching banks is simple. Many manufacturers build cheap junk that is a nightmare to program (CCR=Cheap Chinese Radios, baeofunk, etc) and if you buy one, you’ll be recohnized among hams as Cheap, but his/her radio might die ant any second...and God help you if you have to program a new repeater and Ctcss tones on the spot. While this radio is made in China, its well made, high quality control, and an HT anyone would be pleased to be seen carrying. I have theYaesu Ft-2, Icom ic-51a plus2, ic92a and Kenwood 74a. Each one has special features for obscure digital modes, but if the SHTF you want simple, rugged, trusted communicatios. This rugged, compact, simple radio is it! Sell your CCF radios before you’re called to suddenly program the darned cheap Baofeng or TYT in the dark in the rain to match the portable repeater Disaster Services brought in! If you wantto buy into 2m and 440 and have a fun, respectable-looking HT that doesn’t look like a Christmas toy for kids, buy one of these Yaesu FT-65R radios. Remember, the storms and tornadoes of spring and summer are just a few weeks away. Thanks for reading, contact me with questions if you like.....73....BOB. KK8ZZ

KI7LLD Rating: 4/5 Dec 31, 2017 07:32 Send this review to a friend
Awesome SOTA radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my first radio upgrade from a Baofeng. This little guy is solid. Feels like it is well made. 1w of receive power is nice and crisp. Did not use it with the stock antenna as I had already ordered a Diamond SRJ77CA for it. I work in the middle of a large building and the local repeater wouldn't come in well on the Baofeng but seems like the FT-65R is picking it up better.

People who are saying it is hard to program I m assuming did not take the 5 min to read the manual. It is a breeze. Also not sure why they complain it has an FM radio in it. I sit here at work listening to the radio or switch it to the local repeater. Nice to have options.

I tried to use the Baofeng on a SOTA summit with lots of towers and it was drowned out by them. The Yaesu actually made it off the mountain and I was able to make contacts with it. For being a dual band $100 radio you cant got wrong.

SOTA is "summits on the air". look it up and join in on the fun.

N4AWP Rating: 4/5 Dec 4, 2017 07:30 Send this review to a friend
Good but not great.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Good but not great. Got it on a Black Friday sale.
Programmed with the software available on Yaesu's website. My major complaint is the antenna is a piece of junk. SWR ranges from 3 to 4.7 across the 2 meter band. The best antenna I have is a Baofeng and it works great on the Yaesu. I will get another antenna for it.
Worth the money.
KE8DWE Rating: 4/5 Dec 1, 2017 19:24 Send this review to a friend
Nice little HT from Yaesu  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, I was a little nervous seeing this radio was made in China and that it had some vague characteristics of a far I'm quite happy! I picked this little gem up for only $99 (great bargain!)
I've received nothing but great compliments on my TX audio quality.

I started out in amateur radio on a Baofeng HT, so far this radio is lightyears ahead of those in terms of stability and usability.

-Fantastic RX audio quality
-2m and 70cm TX and FM broadcast receive
-Great PTT button tactile feel
-Decent (though not incredible) battery life

-Mushy front buttons
-No pot. squelch adjustment

Great lower end HT, but seems lacking the Yaesu solidity I've grown accustomed to and expect.

I am certainly happy with this HT given the price I paid, and have no problem recommending this radio.

N9AOP Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2017 15:01 Send this review to a friend
AS ADVERTISED  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this HT on black Friday for a C-note. The menus make sense to me and it works as promised. I know hams are cheap but this is a lot of radio and solidly built for $100. If Yaesu wanted to make this a souped up FT60R, it probably would have cost close to $200. Also, RT-Systems makes a tidy profit on those that cannot seem to program their radio. I also have a Harris Unity. It is a great, well built VHF, UHF,700,800 HT but it costs $6300.00 more than the FT-65R.
ROCK1N Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2017 17:40 Send this review to a friend
Love it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just purchased about 4 days ago, very impressed with the construction quality, the standard antenna is very adequate, I’m able to pick up repeaters from 15 miles away. I live in Dallas. Battery live is decent, been using it since Friday and just today, Monday I had to ge it charge. For the price is a great investment.
KC2FYA Rating: 3/5 Sep 28, 2017 13:27 Send this review to a friend
Dissapointed  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have the FT-65R a while now and I am a bit disappointed in Yaesu. The Audio quality without the Compander is too low TX & RX. With the Compander enabled, it does beef up the transmit audio, but the receive audio is muffled and hard to make out at times.

Programing it is a real chore. Very time consuming even in just putting in a repeater in the VFO. I went and got the FT-70DR to see how that works for me.

Other than that, the 65 is rugged and tough.
W1REV Rating: 1/5 Aug 18, 2017 05:24 Send this review to a friend
Worst Yaesu Ever  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This thing motivated me to retire from carrying a HT on hiking trips. I made the mistake of buying one mainly because it was from Yaesu.

IMO: This was contracted and outsourced to some Chinese vendor and somewhat built to Yaesu's specs; i.e., it was not fully engineered by Yaesu. Why do I say this? Engrish:

Manual comes in two parts, with noticeable Engrish. Good Engrish, but nevertheless, Engrish.

I bought one, played with it for 2 hours, could not figure out how to turn on PL tx tone, boxed it up, sent it back.

If you think Ham Radio is dead, then contribute to the cause and buy this or some BayFung.

If you think this is good for newbie hams because of the cheap cost of entrance, consider that 12 year olds are getting handed cell phones, laptops, etc.

My quick impressions:

- It's low priced
- I think it worked, although I did not work one repeater since could not get CTCSS to work.
- Nice case design.

- Battery latch suspect. Drop it - done, IMO.
- Confusing menu.
- The FM broadcast band: For the life of me, I couldn't understand why it was there. How about adding a MP-3 player??

Sorry, but I've had a bit of experience with commercial HTs. My expectations are too high for the current state of the hobby. Today, I'd expect to pay $300-$400 or more for a comm quality HT. My cell phone cost $650 and has its faults for that price - as a point of reference.

If Yaesu really had upgraded the FT-60, maybe would have kept it. By "upgrade," I mean:
- Three solid pots - knobs: VFO, on/off volume, squelch.
- Super lith-ion battery pack, 2,500 ma-hr or more.
- BNC antenna connector.
- Heavy, polycarb case, drop in mud, a okay.
VE7IG Rating: 4/5 Aug 5, 2017 12:07 Send this review to a friend
Works fine  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Programming the CTCSS became simple once I found the instruction to turn on Tone programming (menu number 29). The manual was not clear.

The radio works fine otherwise.
VE7IG Rating: 1/5 Aug 2, 2017 21:02 Send this review to a friend
Programming nightmare  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Absolute nightmare to program. Who cares if it works if you can't get it programmed in a decent amount of time.