Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - 6M/VHF/UHF+ | Mirage-2516G or 5016G Help

Reviews Summary for Mirage-2516G or 5016G
Mirage-2516G or 5016G Reviews: 13 Average rating: 1.1/5 MSRP: $299
Description: 2 mtr VHF amplifier

You can write your own review of the Mirage-2516G or 5016G.

KI8BL Rating: 1/5 Feb 21, 2012 08:16 Send this review to a friend
lmbo never again  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
well bought a used one last month,off of here. was to do 135w with 25 drive. does 50 watts on ssb..thats peak so means to be,with out proper test equipment. that its about 30w actual out put.. Mighty Fine Junk!! MFJ 5016 is worthless as is D1010

WX9DX Rating: 1/5 Oct 15, 2009 20:45 Send this review to a friend
DOA after 4 days service.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got this amp from AES at Dayton, Nothing Against AES BTW! I kept it in the box till last week October 5 2009. Then I put it into service. It did not perform as advertised and failed at the 4 day mark. I drove this amp with a Yaesu FT2400 with 150 foot of LMr400 between the amp in the garage and the radio in the house. Then 190 feet of hard line up the tower to the Diamond 500 antenna at 150 ft. I used my RF Concepts for this for years and then put the amp in my truck. It is still working after over 20 years of service. But I did not want to buy this Mirage because I knew they had problems. I was told this is what is available right now at Dayton, so I bought the 5016G, 50w input and supposedly 160W out. Never once did it do 160 Watts nor did it out perform my radio by itself with all the feed line to stations 50 miles away.

I will tell you that with over 46 years in the Two Way Radio Biz and now retired, I am ashamed of myself for buying an amp from Mirage when I knew they had such a bad reputation. It's time for RF Concepts to come back into the market place!

Jimmy, WX9DX

ZL1CYK Rating: 3/5 May 27, 2009 14:09 Send this review to a friend
Got it going....At last!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After considerable assistance from HRO Anneheim the factory were forthcoming with fault finding data for adjusting the finals. No return freight was required. Now all working fine after a very frustrating DOA experience....Mirage needs a good quality assurance program! In the current financial crunch, who can afford to be without one?

ZL1CYK Rating: 0/5 May 21, 2009 13:53 Send this review to a friend
A load of @#$%  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ordered brand new from The States....the shipping cost was US$60 and it was DOA...What now another US$60 to send it back for repair?....Shocking!
Purchase with extreme caution.

NT4I Rating: 0/5 Feb 6, 2007 14:29 Send this review to a friend
MFJ JUNK!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one brand new and DOA out of the box. I got my money back and will not look back. I will go for a Tokyo Hi-Power.

NL7XH Rating: 1/5 Feb 6, 2007 14:14 Send this review to a friend
Poor quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used about 8 Mirage amps in our repeater network. EVERYONE of them has problems. Most frustrating is self keying. After the amp drive is removed the darn amp keeps on transmitting. I now use a 70 relay keyed with PTT to insure power is removed from the amp when the drive is off.
Every amp seems to need more power than the specifications show.
I hope I never need another Mirage amp.
NL7XH

AK9S Rating: 2/5 Dec 29, 2002 12:04 Send this review to a friend
A little better...  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After owning a 2516G, which died after several months of use, I decided to purchase a newer model, the 2518.

The same premature tripping problem as before. Rated at 25 watts drive but trips at 8 watts with my radio. Manual says something about some radios having large spikes beyond nominal power when initially keyed. Mirage engineer mentioned a fix by adding an electrolytic capacitor to the amp. Works like a champ for now - wonder if those spikes will kill the amp in the long run? Why doesn't Mirage make an amp that can handle typical 2-meter radios? Disappointing power output on SSB - consumer is not told of low power on SSB until the manual is read. Advertisement claims otherwise...bait 'n switch?

The soldering job on this amp is quite good, as the 2518 uses micro-components. After three months use, the preamp LED went out. Amp performs well, but I'm still disappointed that it didn't do 150-160 watts out-of-the-box without modification. This will be my last experience with Mirage.

AK9S Rating: 2/5 Jul 2, 2002 14:07 Send this review to a friend
Disappointing...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought a new B-2516-G last year and it would only take 18 watts drive before the fault protection would trip. This was at an 1.2 SWR. I guess my watt meter was 30% off!?! Amazing how the same meter registered 25 watts when my radio (5/25/50 watts) setting was placed at mid-power.

Opening the unit revealed a terrible soldering job. It looked like someone's first crack at a soldering project. This speaks for itself, as does the fault protection prematurely tripping.

I would not recommend running full-power on this amplifier, as you may be asking for trouble.

PA5LS Rating: 2/5 Apr 8, 2002 07:16 Send this review to a friend
Still working  Time owned: more than 12 months
Its a good year since I wrote my PE1OBG review of my B25165-G experiences.

The third one still works, mostly with abt 130 Watts out on FM. I had to replace an inductor near the output connector once, but that was all.

I strongly reccomend coming to a firm understanding with your dealer on how to act when it breaks down!

73' Leo.

AC5PS Rating: 2/5 Jan 26, 2002 11:12 Send this review to a friend
Not happy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This amp was a 2518, I could only drive it with 11 watts max on FM getting 90 watts out. Any more drive would trip a fault. Also I dicovered the manual said that it would only do 110 watts SSB and that is what it did with 25 watts drive. Funny, they don't mention any about that in there adds, that was my last Mirage.