Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - 6M/VHF/UHF+ | Mirage-2516G or 5016G Help

Reviews Summary for Mirage-2516G or 5016G
Mirage-2516G or 5016G Reviews: 13 Average rating: 1.1/5 MSRP: $299
Description: 2 mtr VHF amplifier

You can write your own review of the Mirage-2516G or 5016G.

W6CQA Rating: 0/5 Jun 22, 2001 16:38 Send this review to a friend
Junk!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased new 2516G shortly after MFJ took them over. Amp. arrived DOA. Removed the bottom cover to find the large red wire (main 13.8 line) "floating", a futile attempt at solding to the circuit board. I repaired it myself. Very poor soldering throughout but amp. did seem to work ok after my resoldering. Sold that one and purchased another 2516G (stupid me), about a year ago. This one worked for a few days but output started falling off. After it got down to about 75 watts, I decided it too, was another reject. Hadn't even filled out the warranty card and sold it for salvage. I've owned the brown faced ones, built by the original Mirage/KLM company and they were good working quality units. I will not own another Mirage amp.

PE1OBG Rating: 0/5 Apr 24, 2001 14:42 Send this review to a friend
only the third worked !  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought a new B2516G some months ago. After 2 minutes Tx there was a loud bang and no output. The "perl" caps in the feedbackcircuit and the coil in the biascircuit had blown to pieces. My dealer replaced it for anotherone with a serial# one up. This had a no-output currentdraw of 7 amps, turned out the biascircuit had a "cold" solderjoint. Again my dealer got me a new one, this time with quite another serial#. It's ok at the time of writing (touch wood...). I'll buy at this dealer again, but no Mirage!

K1HC Rating: 0/5 Feb 8, 2001 06:38 Send this review to a friend
poor product support  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The second Mirage amp I own just failed (2516G) after 6 months in use. The other (5016G) failed last year and I waited 8 weeks for repair, the amp came back with mildew from sitting in a damp area the whole time. This one is under warranty still, but I'm sure I'll get the same service. It starts with them "rubber clocking" the delivery time. Fedex confirms delivery as 1/22, Mirage wrote to say it was received a week later, 1/29! When you call, they will not commit to a turnaround time. Both amps were not over driven or operated into a high SWR.