Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Directional (Yagi, quad, etc.) | InnovAntennas 5 EL LFA 6 Meter Yagi Help

Reviews Summary for InnovAntennas 5 EL LFA 6 Meter Yagi
Reviews: 2 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $248 Pounds Sterling
Description: 5 El LFA on a 14' Boom: 10.6 dBi Gain, 29+ dB F/B, Low
Noise Pickup (sides and back), Low VSWR
More info: http://www.innovantennas.com/antennas-a-accesories/on-line-shop.html

You can write your own review of the InnovAntennas 5 EL LFA 6 Meter Yagi.

KD7DCR Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2017 14:21 Send this review to a friend
AND...then there were 4 of them!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
There is a "3rd gen" of this design, on a 20.5ft boom which increases the gain and plays very well on a 4X H-frame array for EME!

I have such a beast and am a "proud daddy" ...

The issues with the feed point have been noted before and solved the same way - just insert the long skinny bolt from the "other side" so you have higher connection points/nuts.

Justin also can furnish Balun on the feedline assembles if you ask for them...just spec the length needed and he'll price it accordingly... Very similar to LMR400 spec cable.

Justin is a master when it comes to "his" antennas in/on modeling software...just feed him the questions...out pops the data...wonderful!

N0AN Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2017 09:48 Send this review to a friend
Superb Performer & Outstanding Pre-Sale Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
G0KSC 5EL LFA 6m Yagi:

(248 Pounds Sterling including shipping and balun)

Claimed Gain: 10.6 dBi
F/B: Claimed: 29.x dB, Measured: 25-30 dB
Boom: 14'
VSWR: Claimed: 1.2:1 from 50.0 - 50.5

Measured: via 90' LMR-400

50.005 1.25:1
50.125 1.19:1 (SSB Calling)
50.280 1.15:1 (Meteor Scatter MSK144)
50.350 1.12:1
50.500 1.20:1
50.800 1.40:1

Pre-Sale:
--------

Justin was very helpful and forthcoming on his web site (Chat). I had many questions and he demonstrated considerable patience. The web site is a real treat for information on the LFA design.

His web sales made the purchase effortless (PayPal Invoice emailed, one click, purchased)

All during the process, Justin kept me informed: Build Time, Shipping, Tracking, etc. Very strong on communicating with customer.

Antenna Assembly:
-----------------

The antenna is simple to assemble, although there were a few glitches:

0. Manual said things were pre-mounted on the boom. They weren't, so I did it myself (not hard)

1. Hardware to join boom was missing. Local hardware store had what I needed. 2 Bolts/Nuts

2. Very tight fit of balun leads to feedpoint. Some explanation or a drawing would help. I ended up "building" a mount point by putting an extra nut on the long bolts, thus raising the connection point on each side. That worked just fine, and Justin told me it was intended to work that way.

3. There was an error between the element markings and the Instruction Manual on Director #3, extension length. The tube came labled, marked and I measured it at 550 mm. The drawing said, 530 mm. Unfortunately, the build and antenna erection was on a Friday/Saturday and Justin was not available with info. Climber came, up it went with D3 at 550 mm. Of course, it turns out that it was supposed to be 530 mm.

I'm not sure it would make any difference, as you will note below (performance). An error at D3 (farthest from the boom) is unlikely to affect VSWR. It might have a minimal effect on Forward Gain and F/B.

BUT...be sure you have:

1. All the parts before contacting a climber.
2. The instructions match the tube markings.
3. You have adequate time to discuss any errata with Justin, BEFORE you have to climb.

Antenna Performance:
-------------------

This antenna was "raved" about, across the board on Ping Jockey Central (a well known watering hole for meteor scatter enthusiasts)

Since the dollar/pound exchange rate was so favorable, I ordered one based on PJ comments. I had been using a PAR Moxon with about 5.x dBi gain. The guys on PJ were very familiar with my signal, as we contact nearly every morning. Meteor Scatter paths are relatively predictable, so a significant change in signal is obvious. (if you have a baseline established with a group of stations).

Results: (I'm in EN22, central Iowa)

The predicted difference is signal strength would be 5 dB, as that is the gain the G0KSC LFA antenna has over the Moxon.

The results were quite a bit better.

Three stations I work routinely tropo/groundwave reported that I was now a "local" for them and needed to coordinate my transmissions with them. All three were > 200 miles away.Before, I could not cause them problems.

KB7IJ: Texas: "What a difference"
W7OUU: Idaho: "That antenna making a BIG difference.
K9VSW: New Mexico "Knew that LFA would let us complete." (now we complete nearly every day)
K1SIX: New Hampshire "Filling up the page here with your CQ"

Lastly: An entire cadre of W1,W2,W3 that had been calling me for several weeks, but I couldn't even hear, worked me ...all in one morning after the 5 EL G0KSC LFA yagi went up.

Summary:
-------

1. I hear better.