Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | MFJ 2014 Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ 2014
Reviews: 1 Average rating: 2.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 80/40 meter OCF 1500 watt rated dipole

You can write your own review of the MFJ 2014.

WA8UEG Rating: 2/5 Mar 6, 2017 07:01 Send this review to a friend
Not as advertised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this because the whole antenna was what a 4:1 balun would cost and I could get it up quick. Only needed it for 80/40 and is advertised as full legal limit.

Worked great on 40 at legal limit (with a tuner does very well on 60). Problem is on 80, although it is advertised as 1500 watts the balun becomes saturated at less than 500 watts. I noticed in a review of the 160/80 version the same thing happens. Doing some research I found that others have had the same problem and some of the complaints were well over a year old.

I contacted MFJ and they promptly responded that there is a power handling problem on 80. I asked if a better balun would correct the problem and again they promptly responded that Yes, it would allow the antenna to handle 1500 watts on 80 (of course I knew that). So I asked that since it is advertised as a 1500 watt antenna that they send me a balun that would allow the antenna to be used as advertised. I have heard nothing, I have sent many requests for an update on how they plan on fixing this antenna but to date have not received any further reply's.

I since purchased a 4:1 balun from Balundesigns and the antenna now handles full legal limit on 80 and works great. Of course I thought I was buying a complete antenna for $90 and ended up spending twice that to make it work as advertised.

If you purchase and don't plan to run more than 400 watts on 80 it will work great, if you plan on using as advertised up to 1500 watts spend $90 for a high quality balun that works and make you own as I did for 160. Below is the correspondence I received from MFJ, I did not include the rest of the requests I have made.

Hi,

I purchased a MFJ-2014 about 3 months ago from HRO and just got it on the tower. It works fine on 40 meters and 80 except on 80 when I use my AL 1200 at any greater then around 400 watts the SWR rises, when I back the power below 400 watts the SWR goes back down. This does not happen on 40 only 80.

What's the fix?

Date: 2017-02-28 08:06:40
Name: Richard
Message:

80 Meters is definitely an issue at high power. you will have to use half power at those frequencies.

Date: 2017-02-28 08:19:42
Message:

Your kidding right? It is advertised at 1500 watts on 80 & 40!

I do contests and need the higher power on 80, had I known it had a power limit of 400 watts I would have gone in a different direction.

If I use a quality high power balun will that solve the issue?

Date: 2017-02-28 08:21:46
Name: Richard
Message:

yes, the balun should help it reach full legal on 80M.

Date: 2017-02-28 08:49:15
Message:

Well, send me one no charge so I can make the antenna do what it is advertised to do.

I don't think I should be responsible for paying to fix a design flaw.

Date: 2017-03-01 10:16:17
Message:

So, where do we stand on this?

Date: 2017-03-02 10:25:13
Message:

Where are we on solving the issue with this antenna? My tower is lowered and tilted to the ground. I need to resolve the 80 meter issue and get it back vertical.