Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | CHAMELEON EMCOMM II antenna Help

Reviews Summary for CHAMELEON EMCOMM II antenna
CHAMELEON EMCOMM II antenna Reviews: 3 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $115.00
Description: 60ft. end-fed wire with 5:1 matching unit at the base in a waterproof enclosure. Designed for portable or base station use, covers 160m-6m with an antenna tuner. Rated at 500W.
More info: http://chameleonantenna.com/CHA%20EMCOMM%20II/CHA%20EMCOMM%20II.html

You can write your own review of the CHAMELEON EMCOMM II antenna.

KN4OO Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2017 11:51 Send this review to a friend
Very first Endfed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I give this antenna a 5/5 cause it's very impressive. The "8oz soda can" is connected to the top of a 25ft pole which is also holding my dual band Diamond X50. It is stretched 61ft to a huge tree. It's connected to a LDG Z-11ProII tuner and so far it is working great. I even got it to tune on 160 and made my first ever contact. I would recommend this antenna to anyone who has limited space to hang a wire antenna

N5WTK Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2017 13:31 Send this review to a friend
EMCOMM II Still Fantastic after 3 years in the Texas weather!  Time owned: more than 12 months
In July of 2013, I became a new ham. I started researching what type of radios and antennas I wanted and after months of research, I chose Chameleon. I would like to make comment right here and now that Carl Lavoie is one of the most patient and customer oriented people I have ever met. From the time I first started emailing him, until 2 months and 38 emails later, I purchased my EMCOMM II. It's set up in an NVIS installation, and has endured the Texas Heat and Winters like a champ. I've made contacts all over the world and can't say enough about the great quality workmanship of Chameleon products. Before my EMCOMM II, I had purchased another antenna that just never seemed to work the way I wanted. Not so the EMCOMM II. From the moment it was put up, until this very day, it's been prime. Great workmanship, great customer service, great product.

K3NP Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2017 13:59 Send this review to a friend
Great restricted space HF antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this antenna to replace a 40m OCF dipole at my home QTH because I wanted to be able to get on 80m. Lot size precludes me from putting up something bigger, and an HOA precludes me from using anything conspicuous. Setup instructions for the EMCOMM II were easy to understand. A counterpoise is recommended but not required. I used the old 22ft leg of my previous antenna for this. The antenna is mounted on the side of my chimney at 35 feet high. The matching unit enclosure is about the size of an 8oz soda can and the driven wire is 60 feet long, with black insulation. There are wing nuts to secure the driven and counterpoise wires to the matching unit, and there is a small screw eye on top of the matching unit with a carabiner clip to secure it. My driven wire goes out into the backyard trees, where it is secured with a pulley/rope/halyard. I have an MFJ 1:1 current balun at the feedpoint as an RF choke. SWR measured with an analyzer ranged from 1.7 to 3.7 on 160m-6m. My rig's internal tuner matches it without difficulty. I'm able to get on all the WARC bands now too-previously with my dipole, my SWR had been too high to do so. So far, with the EMCOMM II I've worked Canada, Cuba, and an assortment of CONUS stations using 25-100W, about half of those on 80m PSK. I'm very pleased with its performance and that it fits on my lot and is stealthy! The only issue I had (minor) was that the wire came wrapped around a plastic form, and the end of that wire had been passed through a hole in the form, then looped and crimped-so it wouldn't come back out. I had to carefully cut the plastic form to remove it so it wouldn't be flapping in my trees. To their credit, I emailed the company about that and got an email back from Carl Lavoie, the owner, thanking me for the feedback and saying that they would change that going forward so that the wire can be easily removed from the form if desired. In summary-for a little over 100 bucks, this antenna has been a great solution for me. I can get on all the HF bands, my SWR is better than it was with my old antenna, and this new one didn't take up any more space. Win!
The other option I considered was a multiband fan dipole from Alpha-Delta, but it would have been too long-I'd have had to run one end to a tree in the front yard and the other to the back. That, along with the parallel wires, would have made it too noticable to neighbors and passers-by.