Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Kenwood TS-530SP Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-530SP
Kenwood TS-530SP Reviews: 17 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $639.95
Description: 160-10 Meter, MF/HF transceiver includes the WARC bands. 6146 tube finals, speech processor built-in, 100 watts out. CW/SSB modes

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-530SP.

N6CIC Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2017 22:50 Send this review to a friend
Rugged and fun to operate!  Time owned: months
I have had my TS-530SP for several years now and I use it as a backup radio. Back in the mid-1980's I bought a TS-530S new and used it for years as my primary rig. Then regrettably, I sold it to buy a new radio with DSP and more bells and whistles. I missed my 530S and when a 530SP in good condition came up on eBay I bought it. I replaced the HV and screen grid caps, and added the Kenwood CW and narrow SSB filters. The notch filter in the audio chain is not very effective compared to IF notches in newer radios (and in the TS-830S), but otherwise the radio does everything I need it to do. I operate some SSB but mostly CW. Happy to have this radio again!

KQ9J Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2015 06:52 Send this review to a friend
Great rig!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my 530SP new back in 1983. Outside of replacing two HV supply capacitors and one coil on the IF board, it has performed flawlessly all that time. It has been my main rig ever since the UPS man brought it to my door. I added INRAD narrow filters and the external VFO. I just bought my second brand new rig ever, so the 530 is now the backup. Honestly, the 530 can hear everything the FTDX3000 hears. The DSP noise reduction and the filtering in the new rig is much better, but the 530SP is still a great performer after all these years. I will never part with it.

G0YNM Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2013 07:47 Send this review to a friend
Super old hybrid set  Time owned: more than 12 months
built like a tank .. the days of metal front panels and high quality controls.

this is Trio / Kenwood's answer to the Yaesu FT 101 ZD ... except no AM or FM of course.

Reliable, powerful, a perfect SSB ragchewing set.
not as plentiful as the Yaesu's. No real problems with these sets, apart from the weight.

what more to say ? every shack should have one.

WZ7E Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2012 23:33 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding, versatile  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
An excellent rig. Simple, rugged, well constructed, based on quality design and parts. Excellent receiver, gets great audio reports, very reliable.
Uses 2X6146b finals and 12by7a driver. There are tons of these tubes still out there. This is a first choice rig for backup, beginner radio, field day, or primary rig in a modest budget station. Similar to the plain TS-530s but adds a notch filter. If you see one of these in working order BUY IT!!!

W6JAK Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2010 18:54 Send this review to a friend
Superlative Vintage Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a superlative amateur radio for its day, and is still a very good rig to have for newbies and old timers alike. The build quality is phenomenal, and the design is classic. I own both the S and SP versions, both of which provide great operating pleasure. The receive audio is mellow, with rich tones and a pleasure to the ears. Coupled with a good microphone, such as the MC-50, excellent signal reports are common. I own a modern rig, but this is my favorite. Compared to modern transceivers with menus and computer interfaces, it is like playing a real musical instrument versus a software simulation of one.

W6JAK

KG4HUP Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2010 20:04 Send this review to a friend
really nice rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I just acquired, this unit a few months ago. The receive an transmit audio are the best you will find at the prices they go for. These rigs will beat all of the least priced rigs an soom in the middle class. The easiest to listen to for hours I have ever had. They work great an you can repair usually with the simple things you have on hand! I have had really great receivers an the TS-530S is hard to beat, on any ones scale. Great rigs. for the old hams alot of fun!!

N7HTS Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2007 20:07 Send this review to a friend
Best rig I ever had!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my TS-530SP in 1984 when I became a novice. I sold it in 1989 to a friend at work when he got his ticket. About a month and a half ago, I found him on the internet, contacted him and asked him if he still had the rig. He did! He only used it a year after he recieved his license, then put it in it's box and that is where it had been all of these years. Anyway, he sold it back to me. It was in mint condition when I sold it to him and it was the same when I got it back.

The TS-530SP is super. I can listen to the audio all day long and the receiver, in general, is outstanding. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles that you can get these days but, what it lacks in technology, it more than makes up for in audio quality and simplicity. It has everything that I need right there at my figure tips. I only have the narrow CW filter installed. For SSB, I use an Autek QF-1A audio filter which seems to do a good job.

It has brought back some memories which don't seem all that long ago and it's like getting back on old friend. I have to say that this is the best rig that I have owned so far! For some reason, it is more fun to operate tha my TS-440s and Ten Tec Argonaut V was. The only other rig that I have to come close is the Century 22 that I own. The TS-530SP is bigger than most rigs that you can get now and I think that for me, it seems that is what a ham rig should be...big. The knobs are easy to operate and there is plenty of room.

It's a classic!
N7HTS

NU0R Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2007 19:06 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful, Reliable, and Bullet Proof  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my 530SP back in the late 80's just before they ceased production of them. So I guess I have had it right at 20 years. It is still in mint condition and the best radio I have ever owned. I am still using the original tubes and still get 100 to 130 watts out depending on the band you use. I have both the CW filter and also the SSB filter and you can cut out just about any interference using them in conjunction with the notch filter. I use the MC50 microphone and get excellent audio reports and the speech processor is fantastic for dx. I would give this rig a 5+++++ and if you get a chance to pick one up that has been cared for then do yourself a favor and buy it. I will guarantee you won't regret it. I wouldn't take a farm in Kentucky for mine and plan to have it in use as long as the good Lord allows me to operate. Bruce NU0R

WI0T Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2006 19:06 Send this review to a friend
Wonderfull radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I truly regret selling this radio. I loved it's
sound and the CW & SSB filters it had. Worked
great.

Probably one of the last best hybrid transcievers
made.

WK9L Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2006 19:54 Send this review to a friend
Fun Radio!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought mine at the Indinaplois Hamfest, A estate sale; radio,speaker, at-230 tuner and MC-50 mic. I have had a ball with it so far. Very stable and the receiver is sensitive. It has the CW filter and a International 2.1 ssb filter. If you like tube rigs it is great and
runs with most of the mid range new rigs.It a joy to use and a really nice CW radio.