Reviews Categories | Receivers: Vintage amateur | Yaesu FRdx400SD Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FRdx400SD
Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Vintage Yaesu tube-type receiver. The SD model has all options installed.
Replaced by the solid state FR101

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FRdx400SD.

N4UE Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2017 15:29 Send this review to a friend
Great vintage receiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I almost gave this old boatanchor a '4', but it's better than that.
History:
Last year, I spotted a mint FRdx-400SD on eBay. The SD has all the options installed. It was in perfect shape, but the bidding went too high for me. I recently spotted this one, and I noticed it was also the SD, as evidenced by it's converters and filters. The seller was great to work with and double boxed it. Although the chassis is spotted, but not rusty, I'm happy.
I have a large receiver collection and actually had the external matching speaker in my collection. What are the odds? ha ha
All tubes were good, and 1/2 of the electrolytic caps were in spec, but all were replaced anyway.
The only problems were dirty switches and noisy pots. I expected that. I have the manual and was going to do a realignment (and still may), but it works so well, I left it alone. All adjustments were untouched, as evidenced by the intact white paint everywhere. Knobs were perfect, if a bit grungy. I expected that also. I re-sprayed all covers and it looks brand new.

The pre-selector works perfectly. The tuning is fast, but the 'clarifier' knob fixes that.
In spite what another reviewer claims, I've found the solid state 6 & 2 meters converters work perfectly and are very sensitive. State-of-the art? No. But fun!
Of course, I have REAL VHF antennas!
Lastly, I had Stan, (W6ON) make me some custom covers for the radio and speaker. It's a keeper!

Ron