Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Kenwood TH-D7A(G) Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TH-D7A(G)
Kenwood TH-D7A(G) Reviews: 63 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $459
Description: Dual band VHF/UHF hand held transceiver.
More info: http://www.kenwood.net/products/index.cfm?AMA=open&ama_hheld=open&radio=TH-D7AG&selection=Amateur&ID=80

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TH-D7A(G).

N7KFD Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2014 06:07 Send this review to a friend
2 Improvements - Great Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I owned one of these a few years ago but sold it. I recently picked up a new one for $200 and it's worked out great. I replaced the stock antenna with a Diamond SRH701 and found a 7.4V Lithium Ion battery for it. With 7.4V the radio only puts out 3 watts max but as a test I setup the APRS and let it run, 24 hours later the radio was still running!! Plus the new battery weighs less than the radio does! I was lucky and found one that had been well taken care of and it looks brand new. With today's battery technology I would definitely recommend picking up one of these radios if you get find one in good shape. It's to bad they didn't have Lithium batteries when this first came out, it would have scored much higher reviews.

KF5DEY Rating: 4/5 Nov 4, 2009 17:59 Send this review to a friend
Works fine.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am having a hard time hitting repeaters...so I will have to agree that the range is very limited...but how much range can you get out of a 5w HT with a short antenna?

I got the cable to use the software for programming...it is a lifesaver.

If I really need range out of this, I will get the BD35 amp and a big antenna...

On a related note...does anyone know of a leather case for this radio?

NT9M Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2009 16:19 Send this review to a friend
Still unique  Time owned: more than 12 months
Though discontinued, the D7A(G) still offers a unique feature set that no one else even approaches. I've had mine for a few years, but only recently began using SkyCommand on a regular basis with my TS2000. They make a great pair. The only nit to pick is the speaker does not produce the same quality audio as my TH-G71A, no doubt due to a size limitation, as they've certainly managed to pack a lot into this HT. Remedied with a quality speaker/mike add-on. I'm anxious to see what Kenwood will do to top this one when they come out with the new model next year. Sure hope the same accessories will work with the new one!

ZS5J Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2009 14:07 Send this review to a friend
Great but change the display  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a great h/held radio, works very well, and intuitive. One thing I would like Kenwood to bring out in their new HT next year, is a color LCD display. The technology is there and has been for a decade - thanks to cheap cellular phones, it would be easy and cheap to use a good color display. I find with color LCD, it is easier to read in all types of light, and, more information can be put on the display, than currently on h/helds. Come Kenwood, you would sell heaps of them, if you had a good color display - none of the other manufacturers have ventured there yet.

Otherwise, I have no complaints. My stock battery died, so I imported a very high spec battery from a battery manufacturer in the USA, now my battery lasts for days.

John, ZS5J

KSAVES2 Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2009 12:10 Send this review to a friend
Dated but still holds it own  Time owned: more than 12 months
This radio is a tracking solution rather than just a glorified tracker. Yaesu missed the mark with the VX-8R. Hold on to yer hats though as Kenwood is planning on a replacement in 2010.
It will be dual band I've been told. Make sure
if you are interested you write to KW and tell them the features you'd like to see. I mentioned it has to have the functionality of the ol' D7 or they might as well not go through
the motions. The TNC needs to be accessible and the radio still needs to be interfaceable to
a serial handheld GPS. Kurt KC9LDH

K4PDQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2008 09:35 Send this review to a friend
Glad I got it when I did  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had been looking at the TH-D7 HT to Sky Command my Kenwood TS-2000 for several years, then I began to see they were not being listed on major distributor's web sites, so I suspected they had been discontinued. About that time, a local ham was helping liquidate a SK inventory and had one almost new in the box for a very good price, so I grabbed it. I haven't used it a lot yet, but did set it up to do the Sky Command and that is about as neat as an HT can get. Sorry they no longer make this unit and it does seem that Kenwood is not making much effort to bring out new gear now...just hope they don't leave the ham arena for good.

KQ4KK Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2008 06:04 Send this review to a friend
Retired by Kenwood  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned one since they first came out. Great system for doing APRS on the fly. OK HT.

On the Kenwood site, it now lists the D7 as "retired".

Some folks say they quit making them due to the European Solder rules. I heard in the Kenwood booth, from a Kenwood guy that a critical component is no longer made.

I'll keep running mine till it dies.. the RIP.

KF4FRK Rating: 4/5 Oct 12, 2008 19:11 Send this review to a friend
Great for local APRS work  Time owned: more than 12 months
My D7 has been used for APRS in my mobile basically whenever the Jeep is moving. I've got 148,000 miles on the Jeep now, so the D7 has withstood the test of time. 5 watts is plenty around town but there are times out on the interstate that more power would be useful. Mine is set up to use APRS on one side and 2m voice on the other, and I often have QSO's while I am sending out posits every 1 minute while moving. I've never had any overheating issue or durability issue with this little guy, and it isn't always mounted with the greatest of TLC!
Some minor quibbles, though:
1. Wish that text entry for APRS messages was easier. As is, it is nearly impossible to respond to incoming messages while stationary, dangerous if moving!
2. To get to UHF memories, I have to jump through some hoops, which is also less than ideal while moving. I have to confess that I like Yaesu's menu system and 'way of doing things' much better, but I have much more experience with Yaesu rigs.
3. Wish there was more variety in power settings.
4. Battery life of stock battery.
All in all, a good little rig when used for its designed purpose. Now that Kenwood has announced that it is retiring the D7, I wonder what will replace this little workhorse.

VK7HDX Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2008 18:50 Send this review to a friend
I'm Happy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great device because I brought mine for APRS work on my quadbike and its perfect for the job in hand.

K2CG Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2008 08:31 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This radio is packed with some great features. I have used the radio for Satellite work, APRS and just general 2M/70cm operations. The computer programming software is FREE.

On the minus side:
The battery is NiCad, I replaced it with 9.6 1450mAh NiMh from Batteries America.
The Manual is poorly written, but then I haven't found any well written manuals from ICOM or Yeasu.
The Free software is limited to a few COM ports, but you can always use Link700.