Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Vectronics VC300DLP Help

Reviews Summary for Vectronics VC300DLP
Vectronics VC300DLP Reviews: 22 Average rating: 2.5/5 MSRP: $159.95
Description: "T" Antenna tuner with dual movement SWR meter and dummy load.
More info: http://www.vectronics.com/

You can write your own review of the Vectronics VC300DLP.

EI2HPB Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2007 02:24 Send this review to a friend
Works for Me !!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm using 100w into a full size G5RV and a Sirio 827 5/8 wave groundplane vertical and the VC300DLP will tune both of them down to a very low SWR ( less than 1.3 ) on all bands. You need a little patience but with that you should be able to achieve good tuning wherever you wish, the biggest surprise was the vertical which is really only meant for 26-28mhz....great performance and 1.1 SWR everywhere between 10m and 80m, who needs an expensive multibander ??

PW614 Rating: 3/5 Dec 11, 2006 12:12 Send this review to a friend
not bad but not good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine for about five years now and it does the job I have a 20m dipole fed with 300ohm ribbon feeder and also a vertical I use for 10m and 11m (yes I know naughty) and find it tunes the dipole very well but when trying to tune the vertical on 11m I found I needed to hold the inductor between 2 positions so I did a modification I shorted the 2 possitions together by soldering a piece of wire between the 2 and this solved the problem and caused no problems when trying to tune my dipole.
I would not buy another one but will not replace it until it develops a fault or a cheap MFJ tuner comes my.
So in short do not buy one but if someone offers you one for nothing take it.

VE6RTR Rating: 3/5 Dec 11, 2003 12:34 Send this review to a friend
Basic unit  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have owned one for 9 yrs, had to get inductor switch replaced (fried when I tried to tune 160 m), a while after that the meters stopped working, the diodes in the sensing circuit went. Since then, 8 yrs now, it has worked okay. The unit has gotten a lot of use, but I notice it can have a narrow tuning range on 160 to 40 meters on a 120 ft long loop (have to adjust tuner if I move frequency within a band). Not a bad one, but not a great one either.

N1IDU Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2003 12:04 Send this review to a friend
Earns a 5 in my shack..  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine's been thru the mill, on camping trips, field day, and assorted portable ops. It's a bit scratched up- after 10 years of faithful service.
The only repair it ever needed was the output select shaft coupler needed to be tightened. It's a well made unit for the price- fit and component quality seem better than the mfj counterpart (which I also own). And if you buy one on ebay, it's probably repairable.

DG7JX Rating: 0/5 Oct 10, 2003 10:48 Send this review to a friend
Garbage!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought mine via ebay and found out that the tuner wasn't able to match any antenna to a good SWR!

Only by holding the inductor switch BETWEEN 2 positions and holding it there with the one hand, I could match the antenna with the other hand...

My MFJ-971 "Portable Tuner" is much better, matches almost every antenna to a 1:1 SWR.

So, don't buy the Vectronics VC-300 DLP!

S57LWE Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2003 03:35 Send this review to a friend
MY IS OK  Time owned: months
My tuner is working very good noth have some problem bicos have :Power ,SWR meter...ect is nice for portabel work or for the home.

NA4IT Rating: 4/5 Sep 25, 2002 14:36 Send this review to a friend
Good tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought mine at a hamfest used. The inductor switch was burnt out. Got a replacement from Vectronics free of charge. Was a fairly easy fix. Then, I burned it out again tuning with 10W on 160. Come to find out, some of the instruction books are written wrong. Proper tuning procedure is to turn the TX and ANT knobs to "6", then begin with low power to tune. Make sure the knobs are at "6" each time you switch the inductor switch. Also, don't switch it with the power applied.

No more problems with my tuner. Dummy load works fine, tuner tunes a 160 dipole fed with coax on all bands, and a 10M rigid dipole on 10-20. Just wish the face was black...

Been using it daily, have a chart made out for the setting, works right everytime!

2E1CPQ Rating: 0/5 Aug 23, 2002 23:25 Send this review to a friend
Very Poor  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got my new M3 Callsign and had some help in getting set up,This unit was bought and for a couple of weeks it worked ok(i am only allowed 10 watts on hf)then i found that i could not set it to the same or near the same place each time i changed bands it was really bad, the Inductor switch then started to grind and stick.Anyway i took it down my garden and hit it with a BIG HAMMER thats my one and only experience with one
I will NEVER have one in my shack again.

M5GWH Rating: 1/5 Mar 26, 2002 08:49 Send this review to a friend
Mine smoked!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Build quality - just about acceptable.
Usability - dreadful - look at it in the wrong way and the tune is lost.
Metering and sense - goes faulty and is often badly built. Be prepared to replace parts.
Inductor - flashs over or nice arc-ing noises!
Balun - taken out and put into my Tokyo HC200!
Dummy Load - not quite 50ohms but now in its own box.
Overall - for a Vectronics unit, which I read as being good - the VC300 is a poor example.

N9VWA Rating: 0/5 Mar 20, 2002 18:01 Send this review to a friend
Total Garbage  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought this tuner from AES a couple years ago. I thought it would be a dependable tuner for barefoot operation. First problem was the 50 Ohm internal dummy load never worked out of the box! It was not worth complaining about, as after peeking inside it is only rated for 20 watts or something. I decided to install a BNC jack for an external dummy.

It worked fine for a few months. I used it on all bands on both coax and ladder lines. One day, out of curiousity, I discovered it does NOT ground un-used antenna inputs. This is totally unacceptable in my opnion. This is bad for lightning (or rather, your equipment connected to it)...

Then, the problems came after about a year. I hauled it down to college, where (after several months of storage) it would not tune anything. The variable inductor arced over (with a nice buzz and flash), leaving a carbon trace in the cheap plastic. Yes, that's right!! The inductor is made of PLASTIC! So out came the Dremel, and I removed all the wire, sanded down the arc points, put H.V. corona dope on it, and re-winded the inductor with COPPER wire. Viola- SUCCESS. But the whole idea of only 100 watts destroying this thing is not accecptable, and I always tune at reduced power (25 watts or so...).

Then, less than a week later, both meters would just "peg" with only a few watts, even into a GOOD dummy load. Being a curious engineer (althoug quite pissed at this point) I started my 3rd repair. Forget it. The board material must have came from China or someplace CHEAP. Every desolder will remove the component alright, but take the bloody TRACE with it!!! And yes, I am quite skilled with a soldering iron, and I have NEVER had this happen before.

The end result is a garbage box, totallly incapable of it's advertised specifications. DO NOT BUY THIS TUNER.