Reviews Categories | Batteries & Chargers for amateur radios. | Hardened Power Systems QRP Ranger Help

Reviews Summary for Hardened Power Systems QRP Ranger
Reviews: 2 Average rating: 0.0/5 MSRP: $$295
Description: Small, portable battery pack with built in solar charger,
voltage meter and current meter.
More info: http:///www.portableuniversalpower.com/our-products/qrp-ranger/

You can write your own review of the Hardened Power Systems QRP Ranger.

DATASQUID Rating: 0/5 May 17, 2017 19:13 Send this review to a friend
Such a disappointment  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I too received a dud. It did take a charge once or twice, but never a third time. I've attempted contact Bill by web form and email, and have had 0 response since first contact in February. I won't phone.

The unit I have is marked as 125Wh, and it appears now that it is charging, but not supplying power/can't be discharged. So I won't be attempting to return it from Canada due to liability issues. Cross your fingers my credit card company takes some kind of pity.

I should have known this was going to end in tears when I opened the box and found the included power cable for the radio, in my case an ICOM, had the barrel connector on the wrong end :/ They replaced the Anderson with a barrel connector instead of the T connector.

W1AST Rating: 0/5 Apr 29, 2017 17:06 Send this review to a friend
Huge Potential, Lousy Execution  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was at Dayton in 2016 and from the hotel room, ordered a QRP Ranger over the internet. A good friend of mine had one and I was very impressed with it.

It's a custom made case with a internal LifePO4 batter, 2 power pole connections, tilt stand, voltage and current meters, built in solar charger all in a well built, sturdy designed case.

If using a FT-817 you could strap it right to it. I was using a KX3 and sat the rig beside it.

When I ordered it, I was told it was in stock. A few weeks later it had not shown up. I was given a tracking number but it didn't track anything. About a month after ordering it finally arrived.

It looked good and lit up nicely, but when I plugged in my KX3, it was obvious it arrived without a charge. I charged it with the included charger, except it wasn't taking a charge and was showing funky voltages on the display. Something was wrong.

I bought it to start doing NPOTA activations and thanfully a friend had a Bioenno battery on hand when I tried to use the QRP Ranger the first time.

I called Bill and explained the situation. He asked that I ship it back, which I did. He said he was shipping one right out (cross shipping). I waited 4-5 days and no show. I contacted Bill and he apologized and said he forgot to ship it and would the next day. I explained I was leaving for a 2 week vacation in 4 days and needed it. He said he'd ship priority. But he didn't. In the mean time I contacted John at Hamsource and ordered a 6ah Bioenno LifePO4 battery. I didn't need two, but I had a feeling the QRP Ranger wasn't going to show. And it didn't.

My calls and emails went unanswered. A few weeks after returning from vaca, I called my credit card company and explained the situation and they back charged him and I got my $295 refund. I never did get the replacement nor an apology or anything.

This is horrible, horrible customer service. Which is too bad because he makes some cool stuff that has big potential. And being a small company, you'd think customer service would be exceptional or at least very good. But it's awful.