Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Ultra Beam UB640 - VL2-3 Help

Reviews Summary for Ultra Beam UB640 - VL2-3
Ultra Beam  UB640 - VL2-3 Reviews: 2 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $4.131,10
Description: Frequency range : 7 - 50 Mhz
3 elements yagi : 6-10-12-15-17-20 meters
2 elements yagi folded 30-40 meters
Gain (dBd) : 6,1 (4,2 db 30-40 meters)
F/B ratio (dB) : 25/30 (15 db 30-40 meters)
Power (PeP) : 3500 watt
Longest elements : 11 meter (5,5 + 5,5)
Boom length : 4,50 meter
Boom diameter : square 60x60 mm.
Max wind-area : 0,97
Rotating radius : 6,0 meters
Weight : 35 Kg
Controller: Included
Mast diameter : 50 mm. ( 60mm. possibility)
More info: http://www.ultrabeam.it/preventivi/antenne/ub640_v2_3/

You can write your own review of the Ultra Beam UB640 - VL2-3.

QRPNEW Rating: 1/5 Oct 27, 2017 21:44 Send this review to a friend
Endless Trouble  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After having bad luck with the very early STEPPIR antennas, I decided to try this antenna because of the claimed superiority. Boy was this a big mistake.

I have this antenna installed for just under 1 year now. It has been unreliable and plagued with endless problems. Problems from the tapes jamming, mechanical construction and parts failures. Just above every month I have had a issue. It has cost me a small fortune to get a tower climber to go look and remove this antenna.

What makes matters worst is the total lack of support from the factory. Not even courtesy replies to emails that seems to go down a black hole when you complain. The lack of documentation shows what a failing contraption this is. If you cant even sort out a simple manual what hope is there that the maker can actually design something that lasts and has good engineering input. I would suggest none based on my experience.

It has been my worst purchase in my amateur radio career. It has really put me off these dynamic antennas for life. These antennas while having good performance when they work, they are not fit for purpose to install on top of a tower. Unless you have a full time maintenance crew on standby for repairs dont touch this antenna. I have wasted more than 5000 dollars on cheap fiberglass tubes and a mouse trap contraption that constantly fails. I am going back to good old aluminum antennas even if I have to give up 40 and 30 meter performance. Considering that I had a TH6DXX up for 30 years without failure you can understand my lack of faith in these Micky mouse antennas that constantly fail.

Buyer Beware!!!

ON7HLU Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2017 10:46 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding product but zero service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After i removed my hexbeam, which I was very happy with
I decided to buy this antenna
I have put it together in 2 days just bij my self
It went fairly smoothly because I have a vertical bigirr from steppir and know the product
What I am disappointed in is that there are no manuals when i recieved the antenna
i have send email to ultrabeam to ask them but no responds

I'm worried about it now

In case something is broken or no longer works they will fail me

But at the moment I am very happy with my purchase

It's a top antenna and definitely the new controller

Why not steppir? Just clear that it's on another continent
I think ultra beam and steppir are similar antenna kwality and that steppir have better after service except that ultra beam they have done 1 step more to evolution with their new controller