Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | Whistler T R X-1 Help

following unencrypted channels/systems: Conventional DMR
(Entered as a DMR trunked system, Hytera XPT, MotoTRBO™
Capacity Plus, MotoTRBO™ Connect Plus, and MotoTRBO™
Linked Cap Plus systems
More info: http://https://whistlergroup.com/products/trx-1-digital-scanner-radio

You can write your own review of the Whistler T R X-1.

K9CRT Rating: 0/5 Jul 15, 2017 11:50 Send this review to a friend
Sent It Back 1st Week  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This scanner is a POS compared to the GRECOM and Radio Shack scanners. A little history Whistler bought out GRECOM and assumed the product line. This new model is just not ready for prime time.

1. You can't see the display unless you turn on the light then the battery life is poorer. I say poorer because it isn't good even with the lights off.

2. It won't charge the batteries inside the radio or actually it will but the rate of charge is so restricted it days forever.

3. Which gets to the issue you have to take them out of the scanner to charge them but the nice protective case they include is a monster to remove before you can get to the battery case.

4. I imported the frequencies from my GRECOM which uses the same object based programming, the software for this TRX-1 provides an import in the menu from the GRECOM (hats off to Whistler for this) but after importing them this new generation scanner was s-l-o-w. Sitting my old GRECOM scanner next to it, it missed a lot of the traffic completely or only got a word of it at the end.

5. Many times it sat silent and didn't hear anything while my older GRECOM scanner was picking up call after call. Nothing I could do would fix this. Reloaded the current program, switched rubber duck antenna with the older scanner, moved the TRX-1 location etc, nothing. Then for no reason it would start working again receiving traffic but still lagging behind and landing on a channel only to get the last word or the traffic.

6. Audio quality wasn't equal to the old GRECOM unit.

The only reason I bought this new Whistler is because it is both P25 Phase II ready and DMR which the older GRE RS 1st generation I have won't upgrade. Folks we are talking about a radio that sells for around $600 plus tax. Please beware of these units TRX-1 and the TRX-2 if they are all like the unit I received stay away. Thankfully I ordered from Wal-Mart online and was able to get a refund after a week of fighting this POS and loosing a week out of my life.

KC5IMN Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2017 12:59 Send this review to a friend
Great Scanner  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've had this radio for about 6 months. I bought one because my local sheriff's office went to NXDN and this is the only scanner that is commercially available that will demodulate that type of signal. I travel all over the US and I'm finding lots of NXDN traffic as well as DMR (works FB for both modes). I also have a BCD 436HP that I used to carry all the time. In comparison, both radios handle P25 phase 1-2 great, but the NXDN capability and sensitivity is what really shines. I also don't get too many birdies while I'm in airports or train stations. The supplied ducky antenna works great for terminal listening. The only downside is battery life is about 5 hours on a full charge, and that may be because I need new NiMH batteries. This is a great radio and relatively easy to program with the supplied software.