Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | CHA F-LOOP 2.0 (CHAMELEON ANTENNA) Help

Reviews Summary for CHA F-LOOP 2.0 (CHAMELEON ANTENNA)
CHA F-LOOP 2.0 (CHAMELEON ANTENNA) Reviews: 5 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $399.00
Description: CHA F-LOOP 2.0

3.5-29.7 MHz

The CHA F-LOOP 2.0 was designed with portability, ease of use
simplicity, ruggedness and high performance in mind. Unlike any other
similar antennas on the market, the CHA F-LOOP 2.0 is made with
premium materials that are precisely manufactured and assembled in
the USA!

This is an exciting new product from Chameleon Antenna. Easily
deployable HF magnetic loop antennas, also called small transmitting
loops, have been routinely used for many years in military, diplomatic,
and shipboard HF communication links, where robust and reliable
general coverage radio communication is a necessity.

These antennas have only recently become commercially available for
amateur radio. The real practical advantage of the small loop, compared
to a short vertical whip tuned against earth or a full sized vertical
antenna, is the loop’s freedom from dependence on a ground plane and
earth for achieving efficient operation; this unique characteristic has
profound significance for portable or restricted space antennas.

In comparison, the bottom of a vertically oriented loop does not need to
be more than a loop diameter above ground, making it very easy to
install in a restricted space location. There is no significant improvement
in sky wave propagation performance when a small loop is installed
high; all that matters is the loop is substantially clear of objects in the
immediate area and oriented towards the desired direction of radiation.

Field trials of the CHA F-LOOP 2.0 demonstrated that an indoor
magnetic loop antenna was only around one to two S-units lower, on
both transmit and receive, than an outdoor full size quarter wave
vertical antenna. Remarkable for an antenna that is only less than three
foot in diameter and covers 3.5 MHz to 29.7 MHz (80 – 10 meter ham
bands)!

The magnetic loop is different from typical antennas because it
emphasizes the magnetic part of the radio wave (H field) rather than the
electric part (E field) of the radio wave. It also has a high Q resonance of
around 17 KHz on 40 meters, providing immunity from interference
outside the bandpass.

The CHA F-LOOP 2.0 Antenna was designed with weight, portability,
versatility and cost in mind and is ideal for RV/camping, hotels,
apartments, condominiums, homeowner’s associations, deed
restrictions and CCRs (Covenants, Conditions & Restrictions),
Shortwave Listening (SWL) and other places where it is not feasible to
erect a multi-band wire or vertical antenna. We’re sure you will be
amazed by the performance and agree that the CHA F-LOOP 2.0 is the
most advanced portable magnetic loop antenna available today.
More info: http://chameleonantenna.com/

You can write your own review of the CHA F-LOOP 2.0 (CHAMELEON ANTENNA).

KN4GSD Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2017 07:53 Send this review to a friend
The Best Of The Loops  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got a 5x9 signal report from Chicago, Kentucky and Birmingham, AL using this antenna (I'm in North Carolina). I heard a CQ from Barcelona while the F-Loop was still in my house! People are stunned when you then tell them that your antenna is just 3 feet in diameter and only about 4 feet above the ground. I have the rotator/tuner remote and the power compensator so I can push 50w through it all night long. I'm pleased with all of it. I've never worked with a company like Chameleon. Everyone there is committed to making sure you get the most out of your purchase. I have sent countless questions and comments to Chameleon staff and I always get their complete attention. I've probably been a pain in the...but they never made me feel that way.

OH8STN Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2017 23:34 Send this review to a friend
Awesome update  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've owned the original F-Loop for a couple of years now. I have the basic series and the plus version. I also have the RTRR remote control. The only thing I was missing from the original version, was a little smaller breakdown size. When I saw a video of the new F-Loop 2.0 on YouTube, I immediately ordered this antenna.

To achieve this smaller breakdown size, and to make the  magnetic loop easier to assemble/disassemble, is the telescopic mast. This is very similar to the latest P-LOOP 2.0, and also makes the accessories compatible across both Loop antennas. What this gives me is a very versatile magnetic loop antenna, which can be configured for the different types of operations I find myself in. My F-Loop 2.0 is the plus version, but when I take it out on trips or using it from hotels I usually use it with the double coaxial Loop for 80/60/40, the single coaxial Loop for 40-10 (I don't work 10/12 meters), or the Booster kit, for more efficiency on 40-15m. Finally,  I have the power compensator allowing me to run up to 60 watts SSB through the loop.

The F-LOOP 2.0 has three hardpoints on its base plate. 2x 1/4 threaded for a tripod, and 1x 3/8 untheaded hard point for other mounting options like on a balcony. I also have all of the accessories including the booster kit, the plus configuration, and the RTRR (which allows me to control it remotely). The tuning dial is located on the front panel of the magnetic loop. The only other controls are a switch on top of the housing to choose between 80 through 30 meters or 20 through 10. For those of you interested the loop also covers the 60 meter amateur band, MARS, and the 11 meters band.

SWR of 1.1-1.5 is possible on all bands the loop covers. Although the telescopic mast can be used to adjust the pickup loop height on the Plus version, I have never seen any reason to use that feature, as the SWR is always low enough. The Q is quite high, which is normal on any good magnetic loop antenna.

The pickup loop is a rigid design with an so-239 connector. There are a couple of different sizes depending on which main loop (outer loop) you're using. On the original version there was one pick up Loop, regardless of which outerloop you were using. Now the pickup Loop is tuned for the size and length of the main Loop.

In August 2017, I used the F-Loop 2.0 in its Plus configuration to log into a WinLink gateway 2300km away to send and receive emails using Winmor through a ZLP MiniProSC audio interface. I connected with the station several times on 40 and 20 meters, despite QRM from stronger stations. I did this QRP (5w), using an FT-817ND. I've also use this Loop for casual SSB contacts while the loop was mounted in the Attic above my ham Shack using the RTRR remote control.

Like all other Chameleon products, quality and attention to detail are above and beyond. It's definitely not a miracle antenna, but if you can't or don't want to be bothered putting up a full-size antenna, or if you're looking for a backup antenna to augment a full size antenna in a remote location, this is definitely worth considering for your ham radio tool box.

N2LRB Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2017 14:45 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received my CHA F-Loop 2.0 antenna less than three weeks ago and I was highly impressed with all aspects of it. The antenna is built with quality in mind, and is very easy to setup/put together. It tunes on all the bands it advertises it will tune on. Even from inside a typical New York City steel and concrete building!

I have made contacts into ILL, GA, MO, KS, and OH with the coax outer loop and into MI with the metal outer loop. I have also successfully made WSPR contacts of over 2,000 during times of bad propagation. I made all the above contacts with just 20 watts output power.

Before obtaining the CHA F Loop 2.0 I was making my own magnetic loop antennas. But they do not compare to this antenna. Creating my own magloop has taught me a lot. But when getting on the air and making contacts is important, I use the CHA F Loop 2.0. It's a pleasure to look at, put together and work, both indoors and outdoors.

WY0WDR Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2017 07:45 Send this review to a friend
Wow. Great antenna.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought the F-LOOP Plus last winter (2017), and used it primarily in my apartment to listen-it excels in reception, and listening is my primary mode of operation. I've also used it in the field, usually while camping. Even with the high efficiency loop, it's very convenient to use-I often leave it assembled and just slide it onto the bed for quick deployment.
Using it while backpacking is pretty easy as well. I leave the high efficiency loop at home and use the flexible loop made of LMR 400. It all fits in a sturdy bag (included) that attaches to my pack with Molle straps, and isn't so heavy that it's onerous to carry.
On 25 March 2017 I made a 20m contact using 15W to Urbana, Illinois from Casper, Wyoming-with the F-LOOP sitting in my living room.
On field day 2017, I made numerous contacts on 20m, this time with the F-LOOP on my front porch on 15W.

This a great antenna-very well built, durable enough for portable work, and easy to set up and use. I'm very happy with it, and recommend it without reservation.

K1DOS Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2017 21:08 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Antenna!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have all three of Chameleon's antennas (F, Pv1.0, and Pv2.0). All three work great and are well built. I use them all the time for QRP digital ops (Pactor) and have never had a problem finding a tuning solution. If you do field ops check out one of these antennas.