Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | Alinco DJ-X2000 Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DJ-X2000
Alinco DJ-X2000 Reviews: 15 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $$835.00
Description: Alinco's new scanner, Range 0.1000 - 2150 MHz. Features include, Bug detectors
Frequency counter; Digital TCXO; Voice inversion; Digital recorder (160 sec); CTCSS decode/scan Bandscope; Attenuator (10/20dB); Alpha-tags; 24 hour on/off timers; Battery level indicator; Selectable battery saver; Selectable LCD/key light; FM stereo headphone jack; PC Interface; Radio Cloning; Ability to capture strong RF's nearby (Kinda like a built-in Opto Scout Frequency counter).
More info: http://www.alinco.com/

You can write your own review of the Alinco DJ-X2000.

VK7ZJA Rating: 4/5 Jan 5, 2004 07:40 Send this review to a friend
Features plus, but...  Time owned: more than 12 months
This scanner is simply excellent for spot monitoring, with all the flash tune, CTCSS, field strength etc features built in as standard.
As a scanner, though, it's too slow - a bare 4 channels a second for an average mix of VHF & UHF channels, and that was paying attention to grouping them together. Ignore this advice and you get not even 2 channels a second. Searching is much faster, though, at about 25 steps a second.
Sensitivity - fabulous below 200 Mhz, then starts to drop away, and by 400 MHz is as deaf as an old Tandy / Radio Shack Pro34. By 800 Mhz the radio is struggling to make 1uV for 12dB SINAD, and is profoundly deaf at 2GHz (something like 50uV needed to bring it to life!)
On HF, it's the equal best handheld I've ever used (equal with Yupiteru 7100). On VHF, it's equal best (yupi 7100 & AOR8000). UHF, only average.
Selectivity is not bad, either, and image rejection is pretty good. Will still get swamped like any other radio in really hot RF areas.
Ease of use is as good as it can be on a unit as complex as this, with a menu structure to ease the pain, and a help function is built in, which isn't too bad actually.

So, my score of 4 is based on my impressions that this is a simply superb value for money handheld (look at all the features you get as standard), but take away a little bit for the abysmally slow scan rate, the loss in sensitivity at 400 MHz & above, and the audio quality while good, for even strong signals has a slight background hiss on it - especially noticable through headphones.

WA2KLS Rating: 4/5 Sep 20, 2003 14:51 Send this review to a friend
Love this scanner, BUT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've owned both the Icom R-10 and the AOR AR8200, and this unit is by far superior in the ways that are important to me. Much easier to use, more sensitive then the Icom (on all bands) and the AOR on the HF bands.

Construction is tops, just like Alinco's Ham rigs, this one is built to last.

I am, however, having a problem with the control software. Not able to get my computer to recognize the scanner. I'm having a port configuration problem. Sure would like to be able to control and program this scanner from the computer. . .if anyone has experience with setting the port and other config issues please contact me.

Thanks, 73, Barry

N2YTF Rating: 4/5 Sep 25, 2002 00:38 Send this review to a friend
I love it! HAM Satellite receive  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I love the scanner, I was particularly impressed when I recently used it as the downlink for FO-20, the ham radio satellite. Even when attached to a yagi on the same boom as the transmit yagi, this scanner withstood the 5w 2 meter signal from my ham transciver and maintained enough sensitivity (with the aid of a JIM GaAs FET preamp) to hear my own signal on the downlink of F0-20 on 435 Mhz USB. AMAZING for a handheld scanner.

On the not so good side, I find the memory system a bit difficult to navigate and I forget which groups are which. ALso you cannot resize the memory groups like you can on an AOR 8200.

Another bad point was that for some reason my scanner turned itself on all by itself (see the yahoo group, lots of people had that problem). ZFor some reason, the problem is gone now.

I love the freq counter function as well, and it hands down beats the hassle of carrying an AOR8200 + Scout freq counter + batteries.
I need small convienint pacakages that do it all and can go everywhere with me and the 2000 fits the bill perfectly.

HANGUK Rating: 4/5 Mar 31, 2002 16:36 Send this review to a friend
battery keeps dying  Time owned: months
The first DJ-X2000 I bought (in Akihabara, Tokyo) had to be returned as it would spontaneously power up if you shook it a little. The second is ok except that on 3 occasions it has "eaten" the battery with little or no use. Other than that I really like it. (Especially as the Tokyo price is about half the UK one!)

KB2KTP Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2002 10:05 Send this review to a friend
A must have  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The scan rate could be faster. It receives very well with the "new and inproved" stock antenna. The low battery warning really needs to be improved, it only beeps once when it is low and if the battery saver is on and you do not receive any signals for a while it won't even beep, so if you arn't looking at the disply, it will just shut down.. The audio seems good so far. I sold my Icom to get this one and it was worth it.

KCOHPC Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2002 05:10 Send this review to a friend
Loaded- top notch  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was one of the first (if not the first) in the USA to recive this rig. I had it before it was avalible here. (paid a premium for it too) It was mailed to me directly from Japan. I loved it from day one. I did have to send it in for service after a while, (to Japan, cuz Alinco USA wouldn't touch it) but got it back real quick. Ever since then it's worked like a champ.
Still learning to use it...

OH5GFZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2002 07:17 Send this review to a friend
Alinco DJ-X2000E - fine radio with some problems  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Alinco DJ-X2000E - fine radio with some problems. Overall rating 4,5.

Sensitivity is great and user interface seemed to be easy (after 4 weeks). Memory capacity both PMS and PM is OK. Most of the features are OK. Looks and feels professional!

DESIGN of this scanner and probably all case parts are coming from now discontinued Alinco DJ-G5TH 2M/440 handheld transceiver (for picture see http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/0729.html). That is why Alinco installed microphone in scanner!?

Nothing is absolutely perfect in this world!
DISLIKES:

DISPLAY, VOLUME and SQUELCH CONTROLS, SLOW SCAN especially if mode must be changed.

Manufactures PREPROGRAMMING of auto mode and auto step is bad!

Both auto step and auto mode must be adjusted via PC software along most of the bands. Alinco DJ-X2000E version does not much Frequency Allocation Table that is using here in Europe! For example one can find some WFM areas in 400 MHz bands that are in Europe must be NFM. In VHF NFM-WFM border must be 174 MHz, not 170 MHz as set by Alinco. An SW and SSB borders on low ham bands does not mach IARU Regulations. Auto step on VHF and UHF ham bands is set to 20 KHz, but here in Europe it must be12, 5 and 25 KHz respectively (You must adjust to hear something sick, sick!)

I have also two probable FAILURES in my 2000.

First it likes to POWER UP SPONTANEOUSLY with both timers OFF, especially if I use dry battery case with Ni-Mh batteries (1,2 x 4 = 4,8 V, probably because of low voltage). It does not disturb me so much.

Second PERFORMANCE ON SSB is not good. This disturbs me and I am working with this now.

BUT I LIKE IT! Im traveling much internationally because of my business and always have it in my pocket (preprogrammed for thousand these fine frequencies - he-he-he!!). Im filing me lonely without it!

OVERALL RATING IS 4,5
Advise: BY ONE!

73 to all hams and scanner people!

OH5GFZ

KE9UE Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2002 10:05 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Never had a device that is so easy to use...out does my Yuputeru hands down. Looks and feels professional. I have the E version.

HOTSAUCE Rating: 2/5 Mar 3, 2002 18:21 Send this review to a friend
New Alinco cooks eggs  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When it worked, 29 days, it was a fine unit.
Running on battery pack, suddenly and without warning clicked off...heated up like a toaster and smoked itself. Not the battery, the radio!

In for warranty service..They say they are replacing a part. For what it cost, I'm not impressed. Anyone heard of this behaviour from a $900 unit?

'Sauce

BRYAN Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2001 07:35 Send this review to a friend
A Joy to use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Likes.
Beautifully made. A joy to handle and use. Easy to operate (it follows my kind of logic). Very sensitive. Performs superbly on HF. Stereo sound on FM over headphones is excellent. Easy to set up.

Performance.
I have an AOR-8200II which cannot tune some of the SSB signals I receive on the Alinco DJ-X2000 (using the same external antenna). I also have an AOR-3000A but much prefer to use the Alinco - it just seems more "alive, confident and alert".

Features.
The scope functions beat the AOR-8200II offerings into a cocked hat - although I love the AOR-8200II's instant duplex button, superior display and slightly faster scan speeds.

Alinco sound quality is crystal clear over the internal speaker. Excellent.

Conclusion.
This is a scanner to own and treasure. A joy to use.

Mild Dislikes - Backlight is not bright enough to cover the whole display properly and the LCD could use a larger screen. Would prefer it came with standard rechargable batteries.