Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | Alinco DJ-X2000 Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DJ-X2000
Alinco DJ-X2000 Reviews: 15 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $$835.00
Description: Alinco's new scanner, Range 0.1000 - 2150 MHz. Features include, Bug detectors
Frequency counter; Digital TCXO; Voice inversion; Digital recorder (160 sec); CTCSS decode/scan Bandscope; Attenuator (10/20dB); Alpha-tags; 24 hour on/off timers; Battery level indicator; Selectable battery saver; Selectable LCD/key light; FM stereo headphone jack; PC Interface; Radio Cloning; Ability to capture strong RF's nearby (Kinda like a built-in Opto Scout Frequency counter).
More info: http://www.alinco.com/

You can write your own review of the Alinco DJ-X2000.

WS8RM Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2001 21:22 Send this review to a friend
DJ-x2000 Clone function  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received the clone cable from Lentini Communications in CT. I also downloaded the PC read/write software from Alinco's site.

It took a few tries to get it working, know that I've done both the read and writes a few times it is easy and dependable.

This is really an easy way to maintain your 2000's database of frequencies.

WS8RM Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2001 12:27 Send this review to a friend
It is BACK!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well my repaired DJ-x2000 came back (abt 3wks) now the audio I get is what is being reported by others. The Alinco repair dept did not tell me what they fixed, but fixed it is.

I'm very happy with the unit. I use it to monitor HF SSB with or without a 6ft wire in place of the duck, reception is great. I think I see a 2.3k to .5k difference on the VFO from the actual frequency on some bands (not the same for all bands or USB/LSB - I have not figured it out as yet).

WS8RM Rating: 2/5 Sep 25, 2001 19:28 Send this review to a friend
still open  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received my DJ-x2000 -- problem is I have almost no audio, and what I do have is distorted. I hope Alinco will handle the situation without too much pain. I will keep the group posted.

The battery died overnight when I first charged it. But I think the timer might have turned the unit on during the night === will follow that up too.

SMOKKEYY Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2001 00:44 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Receiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned this receiver for just over a week now and I must say it is the best yet. I traded in my Icom R10 for this receiver and I do not regret it at all. In fact, there is not one feature of the Icom that I miss! The sensitivity in all bands far surpasses the Icom R10 and in my opinion the R10 was an excellent receiver. The biggest surprise to me is how well the DJ2000 receives SW so well. Other items I am enjoying, the bandscope is awesome, frequency counter seems to work pretty well, reaction tune works out well, and I really think that the headphone jack putting out stereo is great. I also think that the software is so far so good, currently it is a work in progress, but it gets the job done for now. I am still figuring out some of the additional features but so far so good, no complaints here.

N0YGT Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2001 13:13 Send this review to a friend
Wow - gotta have it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently received my new Alinco DJ-X2000 and what a radio! This one does it all, a keeper (at least until the DJ-X3000)!

The positive aspects are too numerous to name, particularly if you were to buy the E version ;-) This is a very sensitive receiver with nearly every feature one could want, and a few that leave you scratching your head and wondering why anyone would need that. I particularly like the filtering - which amazed me given the sensitivity. It seems to have a real nice duck that worked reasonably well on HF, as well as 30+ Mhz.

The negative aspects include a slow scan rate (particularly the delay when switching from VHF to UHF), the volume control setup which requires you to push one button to enable volume control, then another to change the volume (don't wait too long or the first button times out!), and the difficulty in listening to two banks without going through menus to link them.

For me, the scan rate is livable since I typically only scan a small number of channels (5-10) at one time. Be sure to group your UHF channels and VHF channels, or the scan rate will be real slow. There is perhaps a half second delay when it switches from one band to the other when scanning.

The audio - volume and quality - is great. The tone squelch works great though with the filtering it has, it is not needed as much as with similarly sensitive radios. I like the use of battery packs and I am now shopping for the matching DJ-G5TH amateur HT. I picked up a dry cell case for $9.99 from AES and will soon be shopping for an extra capacity battery.

This thing is bristeling with buttons, so beware that it is real easy to bump one and send it off on some tangent. Kind of like a puzzle figuring out what happened and how to get back to where you were. The manual is well written, but you will need to convert terminology to the more familar "scanner-ese" (scanning=searching). If anyone is looking for one, the best price I have seen for the US version is $450 from Ham Radio Outlet. I have also seen them from a dealer on Ebay, just search for "Alinco DJ-X2000".

The near-field receiver seems to work fine but is pretty insensitive below 200 Mhz or so. I have played with the onboard recorder - though I am not sure where I would ever use that (seems to me that it would be handier if you could leave it recording all of the time and then stop it whenever there is anything you want to save). You can even use the built in microphone in conjunction with an earphone as an electronic ear!

These radios will not be for everyone. For folks that just want a public service scanner, this would be overkill and too complicated to operate. For those of us into HF, public service, and many of the other aspects of radio - this is a do-it-all machine and a must-have. I have heard, but cannot validate, that the E version is more sensitive than the T version. If this is true, it could be that additional circuitry was added to reduce cell images, with a resulting decrease in sensitivity. Or there is nothing to it at all.

I am anxiously awaiting the reviews by Rich Wells and the upcoming one by Bob Parnass in Monitoring times. My impressions are fairly subjective, but theirs should have plenty of objectivity. Bye...