Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | QYT KT-8900R Help

Reviews Summary for QYT KT-8900R
Reviews: 1 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $89.95
Description: Mobile tri-band (2M/1.25/70cm) Transceiver

You can write your own review of the QYT KT-8900R.

N2CJ Rating: 3/5 May 25, 2017 19:15 Send this review to a friend
A fine line between genius and junk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A local ham was raving about this radio and he sounded great on the repeater so I pulled the trigger. Despite being advertised as 240-260 MHz, the 222 MHz frequencies can be programmed into the radio using the manufacturer's software or CHIRP.
Programming with the cable went well; however, audio reports weren't good. It turns out my radio was shipped with a newer microphone with the element placed behind the circuit board behind the keypad. Earlier versions have the mic element mounted at the bottom of the mic housing.
I returned this unit to the Amazon seller for a full refund.
I ordered from an Ebay vendor and received another unit with the earlier microphone. Audio reports were good; however I wasn't able to key some 222 MHz repeaters which were well within range. Some testing with my Bird Wattmeter and a dummy load revealed the radio is only putting out 4 watts on 222 MHz. Power on 2m and 70cm measure at 21 and 15 watts respectively.
The Chinglish manual is basically useless for anything further than identifying the basic functions of the radio.
I'm not sure if I will be returning this unit or not. At $89 is basically disposable.