Reviews Categories | Antenna Rotators & Accessories | Yaesu G-450XL Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu G-450XL
Yaesu G-450XL Reviews: 27 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $600$
Description: 10 sq. ft. wind load rotator
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/

You can write your own review of the Yaesu G-450XL.

VE3TMT Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2016 12:25 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Rotor  Time owned: more than 12 months
Update to my 2009 review. Another 7 years in the air and not a single problem. Rotor still turning a Cushcraft A3S and 6m moxon with no trouble at all. Not a single issue in the 9 years its been in the air. Has handled many a Canadian cold winter and lots of ice as well. I'd give it a 10 if I could.

AC6BW Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2015 17:47 Send this review to a friend
Great Light/Med Duty Rotator  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had the G-450A in service for more than 6 months, and have had no problems. I bought the G450A to replace a Hygain HAM-IV that failed prematurely due to quality control issues.

The rotator is installed on the top of a Rohn push-up mast, and is rotating a 2 el HF yagi that weighs 16 lbs, and has 2 sq ft of wind load. Since I mounted the rotator on the top of a push-up mast, I had to purchase the GC-038 lower mast support bracket. The push-up mast top section is 1.25" diameter, so I also had to buy the GL-33 mast adjusting plate. All this was disclosed by HRO at the time of purchase.

Hint: Buy the pre-made control cable, and you will save yourself the trouble of assembling the cable connectors. I bought the 125 ft cable, and this really simplified the installation.

Installation was easy. The rotator has a circular connector for the control cable, with a weatherproof boot that works really well and simplifies the installation.

The rotator has smooth operation, and has been very reliable so far. Accuracy and repeatability of the control box heading has been excellent. I have not had any problems with the switches on the control box, as others have reported.

The G-450A is just a great light/medium duty rotator, and I highly recommend it. I hope to get years of service out of it.

DL1MEV Rating: 4/5 May 22, 2015 03:05 Send this review to a friend
O.K.  Time owned: months
Mine has been on duty for over ten years. Just a 7ele-yagi for 2m an a 16 ele for 70cm are not much to handle. I had only one problem:After the warranty ran out, it did not turn fully anymore.There was to much grease in the gearbox, so a spring got stuck. After removing the excess- grease it has been working properly.

ZS5J Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2012 23:03 Send this review to a friend
Good light duty rotator  Time owned: more than 12 months
I put up a new SteppIR DB-18 antenna recently together with a new ProSisTel rotator. This is an very large and heavy antenna, which is the reason why I opted for the new PST rotator to turn it. After 2 weeks of operation, my new PST rotator sheared a pin between the DC motor and worm gear. I had to strengthen this weak spot on the PST rotator, but while it was out of operation I needed a rotator as a stand-in.

I had no option but to put my old Yaesu 450 rotator in it's place while I repaired the PST rotator. Now, this Yaesu was turning an antenna with twice the windload that it was designed for !!!!!. However, I was astonished to see that it worked perfectly, turning the big SteppIR antenna in all types of windy weather conditions for a period of 10 days - after which I had repaired the PST rotator, and swopped it back. Now my Yaesu 450 is back in storage, in case it is needed in an emergency again. The mighty ProSisTel rotator sheared a pin after 2 weeks, yet the tiny Yaesu 450 never complained !!!!! amazing.

The post about 3 below, reviewing a Kenpro rotator should be removed, as it is not the same rotator. Rather make a new page for Kenpro rotators, and then attack the company as much as you want.

John, ZS5J

W0JT Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2012 11:15 Send this review to a friend
Works great for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
Been using this for about 5 years for roving and portable operation. Have had antennas for all bands from 50 - 1296 MHz on it at same time and they were all big antennas (up to 15 foot booms). Granted, intermittant use is less trying than continuous use. My home station uses a G1000SDX which has been reliable for me too.

Planning to get another 450 and I am seeing models G450a, G450c, and G450xl. What's the difference?

W4BTX Rating: 4/5 Aug 25, 2011 13:21 Send this review to a friend
W4BTX  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the G-450xl since 1996 and have never had any problems with it. I use it to haul around a Mosley "Classic 33" tribander and it always works. This rotator is advertized as being suitable for "VHF and light HF tri-banders so I expect most problems are from trying to make it do the work of a heavier duty rotator. It DOES do what it says it will do.

K8DXX Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2010 20:07 Send this review to a friend
Why such variation?  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just noticed the less than perfect reviews on this rotator. Why the variation in experience? Is it date manufactured, apparently not? Is it size of load? Owners with smaller beans have problems. Guys with larger beams do not. Is it the operator? Who knows?

In 1999, mine had already been in service over 3 years rotating a tribander. In 2010, it's still working fine and rotating a 5 element 6 meter beam and 20 element 2 meter beam, all on a 10 foot mast. It's still mounted inside the tower and has a thrust bearing above it. Is that the secret? So far, only problem with my control box has been a burned out light bulb.

Go figure?

W6PMR Rating: 1/5 Jul 19, 2009 20:39 Send this review to a friend
Giving up!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My 450 has been nothing but problems since the first day I installed it for my VHF/UHF beams.
Looks more heavy duty than it is, Mine shows
any direction it wants, stops working for no reason, sometimes goes ccw but not cw then the next day reverses this problem!
I have changed the cable three times, removed and bench checked twice, both the rotor and the controller and now I'm giving up.
A lot of tower climbing and work for nothing,
oh well.

WA4DOU Rating: 4/5 May 17, 2008 17:40 Send this review to a friend
Can't complain!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my G-450XL for a bit over 8 years, turning a Force 12 C3SS up 53 ft. In the past year or two I've occasionally had trouble with a sticking indicator, usually around north. Yesterday I finally experienced the failure of the CCW switch. Considering all things, I can't complain.

VK5FDMR Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2007 02:12 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Unit  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi everyone,

I will keep this review short as some may see it as being in the wrong location however I did not find anything for "Kenpro". My unit is the Kenpro KR450-XL and by what I can see it seems to be the same as the Yaesu G-450XL, to look at anyway. I am very impressed with my unit and it turns my 5 Element 10m mono bander with no effort at all. I would highly recomend it. High quality construction and effortless operation too.

Best 73 de Dave VK5FDMR