Reviews Categories | Antenna Rotators & Accessories | Yaesu G-450XL Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu G-450XL
Yaesu G-450XL Reviews: 29 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $600$
Description: 10 sq. ft. wind load rotator
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/

You can write your own review of the Yaesu G-450XL.

ZS5J Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2012 23:03 Send this review to a friend
Good light duty rotator  Time owned: more than 12 months
I put up a new SteppIR DB-18 antenna recently together with a new ProSisTel rotator. This is an very large and heavy antenna, which is the reason why I opted for the new PST rotator to turn it. After 2 weeks of operation, my new PST rotator sheared a pin between the DC motor and worm gear. I had to strengthen this weak spot on the PST rotator, but while it was out of operation I needed a rotator as a stand-in.

I had no option but to put my old Yaesu 450 rotator in it's place while I repaired the PST rotator. Now, this Yaesu was turning an antenna with twice the windload that it was designed for !!!!!. However, I was astonished to see that it worked perfectly, turning the big SteppIR antenna in all types of windy weather conditions for a period of 10 days - after which I had repaired the PST rotator, and swopped it back. Now my Yaesu 450 is back in storage, in case it is needed in an emergency again. The mighty ProSisTel rotator sheared a pin after 2 weeks, yet the tiny Yaesu 450 never complained !!!!! amazing.

The post about 3 below, reviewing a Kenpro rotator should be removed, as it is not the same rotator. Rather make a new page for Kenpro rotators, and then attack the company as much as you want.

John, ZS5J

W0JT Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2012 11:15 Send this review to a friend
Works great for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
Been using this for about 5 years for roving and portable operation. Have had antennas for all bands from 50 - 1296 MHz on it at same time and they were all big antennas (up to 15 foot booms). Granted, intermittant use is less trying than continuous use. My home station uses a G1000SDX which has been reliable for me too.

Planning to get another 450 and I am seeing models G450a, G450c, and G450xl. What's the difference?

W4BTX Rating: 4/5 Aug 25, 2011 13:21 Send this review to a friend
W4BTX  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the G-450xl since 1996 and have never had any problems with it. I use it to haul around a Mosley "Classic 33" tribander and it always works. This rotator is advertized as being suitable for "VHF and light HF tri-banders so I expect most problems are from trying to make it do the work of a heavier duty rotator. It DOES do what it says it will do.

K8DXX Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2010 20:07 Send this review to a friend
Why such variation?  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just noticed the less than perfect reviews on this rotator. Why the variation in experience? Is it date manufactured, apparently not? Is it size of load? Owners with smaller beans have problems. Guys with larger beams do not. Is it the operator? Who knows?

In 1999, mine had already been in service over 3 years rotating a tribander. In 2010, it's still working fine and rotating a 5 element 6 meter beam and 20 element 2 meter beam, all on a 10 foot mast. It's still mounted inside the tower and has a thrust bearing above it. Is that the secret? So far, only problem with my control box has been a burned out light bulb.

Go figure?

VE3TMT Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2009 03:03 Send this review to a friend
So far so good  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Picked up used but in new condition. Mounted inside a Delhi 32' tower turning an A3S and A270-10S. No problems so far. I do keep the beams pointed into the wind when I'm not operating.

W6PMR Rating: 1/5 Jul 19, 2009 20:39 Send this review to a friend
Giving up!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My 450 has been nothing but problems since the first day I installed it for my VHF/UHF beams.
Looks more heavy duty than it is, Mine shows
any direction it wants, stops working for no reason, sometimes goes ccw but not cw then the next day reverses this problem!
I have changed the cable three times, removed and bench checked twice, both the rotor and the controller and now I'm giving up.
A lot of tower climbing and work for nothing,
oh well.

WA4DOU Rating: 4/5 May 17, 2008 17:40 Send this review to a friend
Can't complain!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my G-450XL for a bit over 8 years, turning a Force 12 C3SS up 53 ft. In the past year or two I've occasionally had trouble with a sticking indicator, usually around north. Yesterday I finally experienced the failure of the CCW switch. Considering all things, I can't complain.

VK5FDMR Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2007 02:12 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Unit  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi everyone,

I will keep this review short as some may see it as being in the wrong location however I did not find anything for "Kenpro". My unit is the Kenpro KR450-XL and by what I can see it seems to be the same as the Yaesu G-450XL, to look at anyway. I am very impressed with my unit and it turns my 5 Element 10m mono bander with no effort at all. I would highly recomend it. High quality construction and effortless operation too.

Best 73 de Dave VK5FDMR

VE6TWN Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2007 18:21 Send this review to a friend
Good looking controller and good rotator  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using this rotator with the MA5B mini beam for few months now.
Before I put up this rotator, I connected rotator with the controller to check and calibrate it. It is very accurate after calibration.
The MA5B and G-450XL both are working very well, not a single problem. Switches are both very solid, no problem at all.
Overall, I am very happy with this setup.

KQ6EA Rating: 3/5 May 14, 2006 12:08 Send this review to a friend
Update  Time owned: more than 12 months
I finally got over to Yaesu to get the replacement switches for the control box for my G-450. The replacement switches are much higher quality, being a small toggle-switch (think "Alcoswitch") mounted to a small bracket that holds the plastic paddle that sticks through the front panel. Easy to change, reasonably priced ($7 each, plus tax)and it feels more like a "real" switch than the junk that was OEM in the controller.
Everything works fine again, and I no longer have the push-button switches I scabbed in there hanging out of the control box.