Reviews Categories | Antenna Rotators & Accessories | Yaesu G-450XL Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu G-450XL
Yaesu G-450XL Reviews: 29 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $600$
Description: 10 sq. ft. wind load rotator
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/

You can write your own review of the Yaesu G-450XL.

N2WN Rating: 4/5 Feb 1, 2005 12:33 Send this review to a friend
Reliable, but Not Perfect  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked mine up from a frustrated ham. He had a problem with the connectors (as mentioned here). It took a little head scratching, but I resolved it. I like the 360 degree indicator. It has taken abuse from a microburst storm. It handles my 2 Element 5 band quad nicely. Documentation could be improved, connector at the controller should be improved. I would not call it plug and play. I've used CDE rotators, and so far like this as much or more than those.

W2CDO Rating: 2/5 Nov 11, 2004 19:29 Send this review to a friend
Controller wiring missing  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this unit a couple of years ago and just now tried to use it. Pin 1 in the controller box was missing. Not wired. The rotor turned clockwise until it stopped; no CCW function at all. Piece o' junk. Seriously: anyone have a schematic of the controller so I can wire pin 1 and see if it turns CCW? Pls email me. Thanks in advance and 73.

N0AH Rating: 2/5 Aug 13, 2004 14:32 Send this review to a friend
Beware, Not Designed for Small Masts  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I decided to go with a higher rated rotor from that of a TV rotor to turn my MA5B beam. I made HRO aware of this at the time I purchased both the MA5B antenna and 450 rotor at the same time. Unexpected items I had to purchase to make this fit a standard 1 1/4 inch mast included a mast to rotor clamp for around $30, plates to make the mast fit the rotor, (which they were out of stock on)and a lot of trivial hardware. I finally gave up on the smaller mast, and went with 1.75 inch diameter which really increased my wind load due to width and mostly weight. More complaints include the awful plug connector pins you need to crimp and put into the wired up plug going to the receptacle plug on the back of the control box. They are cheap, and I had to give up on the wired up plug and just insert the pins directly into the receptacle plug. I used liquid tape to hold them in place. The reason for this is that the pins would not stay in the wired up plug housing due to all the bending and twisting to get them crimped. The rotor works now but what a hassle. They should just do it the old fashion way with the control cable. Wire to lug nuts on both ends of the control cable. Of note, the plug going into the rotor was easy to solder but it had to be taken apart, figured out, and soldered. Again, why this system? If you really want to keep your wind loand down, buy a TV rotor if it can handle your antenna. I feel like I know have a system that can handle 10 times the antenna I have but only because of all the reinforcing I had to do with guy wires, roof anchors, etc...to handle this situation. In the long run, I'll sleep better knowing I have a very strong sytem, but at the time and cost, extreme over-kill. I rated this so low because my expectations versus what I ran into were very far apart.

K6HJM Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2004 00:05 Send this review to a friend
Yaesu listened..better switches  Time owned: more than 12 months
As predicted by others, one of the switches failed. But the good news is that Yaesu has a new type of switch that looks and feels better. Only $6 direct from Vertex Standard (i.e., Yaesu) and delivered in 3 days. Looks like it should last a long time. SO...I am still a happy camper!

MICHIEL Rating: 2/5 Mar 15, 2003 13:15 Send this review to a friend
Where is he now...?  Time owned: more than 12 months
Via this way I hope someone can helpes me with my "problem" with the G450XL. I have this rotor for about 6 years now and I am very pleased with it. BUT the last year from time to time the clock constanly change direction. When I see my antenne is hading 180 dgr. my clock shows 120 dgr. Later it will put itself on the right posistion but somethimes is takes days...Who know's what this can be?? Please mail 19AT292@zonnet.nl

W2WO Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2003 13:24 Send this review to a friend
No problems.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Works well turning a 5-band quad at 40 feet. No problems with the switches thus far. The manual could be better about providing practical usage information, how-it-works information, and diagnostic information but it is no worse than the manuals for most ham gear.

K4XSZ Rating: 1/5 Aug 23, 2002 22:21 Send this review to a friend
Poor Design  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned two of these rotators.
As in other posts here, the switches are a definate problem, mechanically and electrically even if you follow Yaesu's manual and don't change directions of the rotator quickly, the current to the motor is ran thru these switches instead of using relays,I could not find any current rating for the switches but personally I think they are very low quality .I would recommend spending a bit more and buying one of the G-800 series yaesu rotators if you like the brand.

N8YO Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2002 16:22 Send this review to a friend
great medium duty rotor  Time owned: more than 12 months
have had this rotor running for over 3 years now with a cushcraft 13b2 atop a 10 foot steel mast on a 50 foot tower. very pleased and the controller is always dead on. will be adding a hygain th3 shortly and am sure it will do just as well then.

KY6R Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2002 08:54 Send this review to a friend
Good - but watch wiring  Time owned: months
I just put mine up to support an MA5B. The wiring diagram is a little confusing for the molex side of the control cable. If you wire it up backwards, it will "sort of work", letting you believe that you have a defective unit. Test your connection first using clip leads! The barrel connector is very nice, and they provide a nice insulating boot. The cast aluminum hardware is quite nice (I have the "clamshell" mast adapter). The control box looks very nice and the action looks and sounds smooth. I hope to be this pleased in a couple of years - and will heed other's advice and not change directions quickly - and without waiting "some" seconds.

EC7DWL Rating: 3/5 Mar 5, 2002 12:42 Send this review to a friend