Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Icom ID-4100A Help

Reviews Summary for Icom ID-4100A
Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $$459
Description: UHF/VHF D-Star Transciever
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/mobile/id4100a/default.aspx

You can write your own review of the Icom ID-4100A.

K1OYQ Rating: 3/5 Oct 4, 2017 07:23 Send this review to a friend
Terminal & Access Point Mode Issues  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this radio to replace my ID-880H and use it for EMCOMMs in our local EOC on the DSTAR reflectors in either the Terminal or Access Point mode. This radio is a big improvement on the ID-880H. It has more features and the menu is much easier to use. However, the Terminal and Access Point modes do not work like a "DV Hotspot" as in a DV or DVAP Dongle or SharkRF. "You should be aware Terminal and Access Point modes only work using ICOM Callsign Routing. This means when you connect to another gateway through the internet and transmit, you will be heard there, but users who want to reply will need to know how to use Callsign Routing and capture your callsign (usually by pressing the radio's Callsign Capture button while you are still transmitting).  If they don't do that, you will not hear their reply.  The same applies to when you want to reply to a callsign routed call. This means Terminal and Access Point features do not support linked connections to reflectors. This fact is not always obvious from reading the sales literature."
I found out the hard way after purchasing one and trying to connect it up as a DV Hotspot. Here is ICOM response to my queries:
"The access point and terminal modes found in the ID-51A PLUS series and the ID-4100A are based around the JARL’s D-STAR protocol for callsign routing.  The functionality to connect to reflectors is based on third-party software, like dplus, that resides on most of the D-STAR repeaters.  While this is the functionality you desire, the limitation is that of their software to not recognize the ID-4100A as an access device to their network.  Once the third-party software providers incorporate the ID-4100A into their software, you should be able to have the capabilities you desire.  Until that date, the callsign routing functionality is all we can guarantee." ICOM offered to help me send it back to Gigaparts without paying the restocking fee, but I declined. Guess I'll have to wait for the third party solution to come along. The radio would be a 5+ if all the features worked as advertised.

KF5YTK Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2017 12:02 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Rig!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased this little radio a month ago right when it came out and now that I have had time to play with it some I can honestly sit here and say it is GREAT... It has a nice receiver and I get terrific reports on my audio all of the time! If your looking for a nice compact dual band radio I highly suggest you pick one of these up!

KN4DGR Rating: 4/5 Jun 6, 2017 20:12 Send this review to a friend
Great Entry Level D-Star Transceiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'll readily admit that this is my first 'real' radio. I've had my Technicians license for a couple of months and stepped up from the Baofeng.

Analog works very well as expected andI've had no trouble hitting local repeaters. There are many scanning modes (and SO much faster than the Baofeng). There are 1000 memories and they can be grouped into up to 26 banks. A GPS is built-in.

D-Star is a fairly complicated subject and the manuals are very little help and actually confuse the matter to us noobs. If you check out the videos and help guides for the ID-5100, you can get enough help to work your way though. I've only managed to have 2 contacts in D-Star, but the sound quality is outstanding, very clear.

Since I'm a newbie, I'll list a few things I see as issues: The manual is pretty weak for D-Star. I've tried for hours and cannot seen to link to a gateway or Reflector. I'm fairly sure I've got the settings right. The menu system is fairly complicated and takes sometime to get the hang of where things are stored. If you set a priority channel scan, you'll get a gap in your reception every 4-5 seconds. This was hard to find. The use of YOUR and MY Callsign must be much easier to understand in Japanese. Why not use Local and Remote or similar? Including a light sensor to adjust the screen intensity at night would be helpful. Programming cord is overly expensive. Where is the Mac software for programming?
Icom tried hard to cover the complexity of programming DV, but in reality, they've made parts a bit more difficult. There are 4 settings required to contact a reflector, for instance. You can select the settings from a menu, but to see how the radio is set, you have to search the main menu for an item called 'Callsign' to check the settings.

Scanning near repeaters (DV and FM) is very cool and helpful. Capturing callsigns from the contacts is easy. Despite the complaints about the screen and the mike cord, I really didn't have an issue with them. On my mew MFJ meter, I get 5, 20, and 50 Watts transmitted.

This seems to be a throttled back ID-5100. The screen is a bit smaller and it doesn't have a touch screen. The 4100 doesn't have dual transmitters.

Overall, I'm happy with it. It's a good performer and I'll eventually get the D-star stuff worked out. For the small difference in price, I probably would have given the 5100 a little more consideration.