Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | ACOM 04AT Automatic Antenna Tuner Help

Reviews Summary for ACOM 04AT Automatic Antenna Tuner
ACOM 04AT Automatic Antenna Tuner Reviews: 3 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $1200
Description: The 04AT is ACOM's 1200 Watt automatic antenna tuner, designed to complement their 600S and 1200S solid state HF amplifiers. It is unsurpassed in its degree of automation and level of protection.
More info: http://www.acom-bg.com/products/antenna-tuner/acom-atu04at

You can write your own review of the ACOM 04AT Automatic Antenna Tuner.

N4MIT Rating: 0/5 Feb 17, 2018 06:20 Send this review to a friend
Dead out of the box  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Mine was dead out of the box and I cant get any answers from ACOM. I purchased the 1200s and the 04AT on Jan 29 2018 and it has never worked. I keep getting the run around that ACOM will make it right but they haven't made any attempt to do so. I purchased the CAT cable and it still doesen't even attempt to tune. I hear the fan running inside but that is it. when the tuner is activated it presents a 10:1 Swr to the radio even on a dummy load. The lack of communications is astounding as well as the lack of concern for the customer. I paid $4600 for this pair and I feel that I deserve better treatment. I wish that I had bought anything else. I have an MFJ-998rt and at least it works.

I wouldn't suggest this purchase to anyone at this point. I am very disappointed and if this is not resolved by March 1 I will be sending it back and buying anything else.

G8UBJ Rating: 4/5 Jan 20, 2018 20:00 Send this review to a friend
a new product with teething issues  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just set one up with a 1200S using 2.0 software - Some observations -

It really MUST have a CAT connection to the transceiver in order to work correctly. I have an FTdx-5000 and this presents an issue as I also want to run logging software and providing two RS-232 connections is an issue. if you have an Icom o(CI-V) or newer Yaesu/Icom etc with USB this may not be a problem

I noticed the amp de-selects the tuner in the menu if left in standby or switched off overnight. I guess this is an Amplifier software issue?

It is definitely best to set it up in the shack and once working run it remotely, I have a single hardline feed and three antennas and it takes care of everything.

The menu system user interface is a bit clunky, a mouse and keyboard (USB) interface would be a real plus..

It doesn't default to bypass on one antenna if the amp is off so you need your amp on all the time.

On tune it doesn't like some antennas - tuning power to high? ( but doesn't give me so much idea why as it won't store the information) and it has control of the rigs power so WTF? I guess it means bad SWR leading to a high voltage. I know the antenna is good so I will change the feed line length. (This will be an issue on multi-band antennas as fixing one will probably put another out of whack

On the whole the amp is great to use once set up (I won't go back to my old tuners) but very fussy, and not a good choice if you like to play with home-brew antennas and of course its a new product with teething issues...

K6KV Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2017 14:24 Send this review to a friend
The Tuner of the Future  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It's my first week of using the ACOM 04AT autotuner and I'm 100% delighted. The tuner is designed to work with ACOM's 600S or 1200S amplifiers, and is so fully automated as to feel like you're operating a very high power transceiver, not a collection of boxes. Such convenience never existed before. The tuner gets its power and data via the antenna's coax cable, and can be placed anywhere to keep the operating position uncluttered. Final installation is a matter of connecting a CAT cable between the amplifier and the transceiver, and then using an on-screen menu to specify the type. In operation, all important information is shown on the amplifier's screen, and it's interesting to watch the antennas and tuning segments being automatically switched when the transceiver is tuned.

Besides being the easiest to use, this tuner is probably the most indestructible. Other tuners may be automatic but they are not foolproof. If a user forgets to reduce power before changing bands or QSY'ing widely, such tuners may try to tune at high power, risking damaging their relays or roller inductor. The 04AT is different. It continuously monitors the situation, and whenever tuning is needed it removes power for several milliseconds while it switches its gold-contact relays. I often leave my amplifier at 600 watts, and change bands or QSY with impunity. Contesters might choose the 04AT for its speed but I chose it for convenience.