Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | TYT MD-2017 VHF-UHF DMR Handheld Help

Reviews Summary for TYT MD-2017 VHF-UHF DMR Handheld
TYT MD-2017 VHF-UHF DMR Handheld Reviews: 14 Average rating: 2.9/5 MSRP: $219.00
Description: Double the fun of digital rag chews with the TYT MD-2017 Dual Band DMR Digital Two Way Radio! The MD-2017 takes the clarity and full quieting of digital voice communications to UHF and VHF and puts both bands in one handy talkie you can take anywhere!

The TYT MD-2017 operates in analog and digital modes on 400-480MHz frequencies on UHF and 136-174MHz VHF at up to 5 watts of power. It uses Time-Division Multiple-Access (TDMA) digital technology to double the number of users on a single 12.5kHz channel.

The MD 2017 boasts 3000 channels, 10000 contacts, built-in CTCSS/DCS (analog mode only), single call, group call and all call, remote kill/stun/activate, transmit interrupt, VOX, and lone worker function. It is compatible with MOTOTRBO™ compatible, DMR Tier I and II compatible, is firmware upgradeable and is IP67 waterproof.

The TYT MD-2017 is also equipped with the same large color LCD display found on other models in the MD series. It also has the traditional keypad found on the other digital radios, and there are programmable side keys. However, the MD-2017 adds two additional programmable keys, marked P1 and P2.

The MD-2017 also has a trackball, and it's embedded front and center. This makes the MD-2017 very different indeed.

The Tytera MD-2017 dual band digital radio uses Digital Mobile Radio (DMR) Tier 2 Standard protocol. It is compatible with the popular MOTO TRBO series radios using standard encryption, as well as other makes and models of DMR supported radios. It is also compatible with any existing analog two-way radio operating on the supported UHF and VHF frequencies for easy migration to digital technology.

Includes one Tytera MD-2017 dual band digital mobile two way radio, dual band antenna, belt clip, AC charger, 2200mAh lithium-ion rechargeable battery, owner's manual and one year manufacturer warranty.

You can write your own review of the TYT MD-2017 VHF-UHF DMR Handheld.

VK5CQ Rating: 4/5 Mar 19, 2018 15:08 Send this review to a friend
Cf Amazon for add'l reviews (eg, GPS get)  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Some Issues, But a Good First Dual Band DMR
Eg: Dee No
This is my 5th DMR radio, but my first dual bander
I have radios from Connect Systems (CS580 and CS751) and TYT (MD380, MD390). I purchased this directly from Let's Get Ready.

My reason for purchasing this radio was because I was having to carry 2 radios to get the coverage I wanted. My hope was that I could get down to carrying just 1.

I just got the radio working today, so here are my initial comments.

1. The two front panel switches are rocker switches. Press the top for P1 and P2 and the bottoms for Menu and Back.
2. The roller ball allows moving around menus and selects Bank A (UHF) by rolling up or Bank B (VHF) by rolling down. Rolling left or right selects the channels in the active bank.
3. There are three switches on the left side besides the PTT, all of which are programmable for up to two functions.
4. The antenna has a very large base with SMA female on the radio. Other antennas may fit, but not sit securely on the body of the radio. This may affect waterproofing and the strength of the radio.
5. 64 channels per zone for UHF and 64 channels for VHF. The channels go into an A (UHF) side and a B (VHF) side.
6. Scan lists are limited to 31 channels.
7. Have a small phillips head (#0 or #1) with a narrow shaft available for installing the belt clip. A pair of tweezers will also help.
8. The screws on the programming cable & connector cover are now captive! No more losing screws. Unfortunately, this means needing a flat-bladed screwdriver handy. A thumbnail may work, if you're willing to risk breaking it.

The Good:
1. 64 channels per zone per band. No more 16 channel limit requiring switching zones when driving across town.
2. Dual band. No more carrying two radios just to have DMR and dual band capability.
3. DMR performance appears to be on par with the MD390.

The Bad:
1. Fixed bands mean you can't monitor two VHF or two UHF channels at one.
2. The roller ball is hard to control! While selecting A or B, it's easy to change the channel as well.
3. The odd antenna mount means it'll be harder to use alternate antennas. I usually use Nagoyas on my radios, but I guess I'll leave the stock antenna in place for now.
4. The CPS does not differentiate between UHF and VHF channels, so you can mix them up when programming zones, but it won't work in the radio. It would be helpful if the CPS would only display valid channels for the VHF and UHF sides.

For those combining VHF and UHF codeplugs, you may want to try the N0GSG Contact Manager. I was able to load my MD390 codeplug directly into the MD2017 CPS, so I tried loading my MD390 UHF codeplug into the contact manager, then using the import from codeplug option to load in the channels from my CS751 (VHF). The combined codeplug was then loaded into the MD2017 CPS and downloaded into the radio. It worked!

To avoid using the trackball to change channels and A/B, I programmed the Side Buttons 2 and 3 to "Right Key" (Channel Up) and "Left Key" (Channel Down). I programmed P1 Long Press to "Switch Up/Down Screen" which selects A or B. This allows me to avoid the trackball except when using the menus. You can also program P1/P2 to use for channel changes.

I tried using the Zone Select as a programmed key, but it put me into a strange menu from which I needed to use the "Back" key to exit.

I can't guarantee that this procedure will work for all users, but it saved me hours of reentering channel information.

You can download the CPS from various sites to have your codeplug ready when your radio arrives. It will give you a chance to decide on things like function key options, etc. in advance.

Currently, my only real objection is the roller-ball control on the front panel. I would have preferred the older button-based interface.
ON3NAD Rating: 0/5 Mar 11, 2018 01:02 Send this review to a friend
not worth the money , more problems than use.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
this is on the part of receiving the baddest set i ever used.

on dmr as well as on fm it is barrely receiving anything.

for analog my wouxun is way more sensitive and does receive at almost any place.
for dmr the md380 is way better.

that joystick on it is all but a joy, the keyboard lock is a MUST USE function
i wouldn't advice this HT to anybody.
KM8N Rating: 3/5 Mar 2, 2018 06:50 Send this review to a friend
Questable Service  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Purchased a MD-2017 October 24/ 2017 I agree with the negative comments about the track ball. It worked fairly well and some of the audio quality issue I believe are due to the idiosyncrasies of DMR network. The afternoon of February 5 the unit was on and monitoring Ohio State Wide when I decided to change channels. The voice said I did but the screen didn't change I flipped back and forth no change in the screen. Powered down and back on white screen no display at all. Contact my local supplier I was a couple of weeks beyond their 90 day warranty, suggested I contact TYT. Tried the 400 area code number numerous times it is a non working number. Wrote to them at their contact e-mail next day representative wrote back "Chinese New Year contact us after New Year"
Waited till after Feb.16 tried again reply "Chinese New Year Vacation if emergency call". No number given. Wrote back Feb. 26th late that evening presentative replied basically telling me to take the radio apart and fix it myself, it is a faulty display cable connection. I asked, won't this void the warranty, if I do attempt this will you assure me that you will honor the warranty. He responded "trying to save you and me money and time you may ship back if you insist". No return address or authorization number given. I asked where do I ship it to and is there a North American repair location. No answer.
I had watch Ham Radio 2.0 video of Jason replacing one of the broken SMA connectors so using that as a guide I disassembled the radio I raised and then lowered firmly the latch for the cable and reassembled that worked for about 15 minutes. Apart again this time I used a tiny wooden dowel and rubbed it across the area where the pins from the circuit board penetrate the flat cable. Radio has now been working for 2 days. I wrote back to TYT and the gentleman's parting comment was " I knew that would work don't strike radio hard"!!! Hmmm its an HT that's part of its life. All I can say is BUYER BEWARE.
XE2DDA Rating: 2/5 Jan 1, 2018 18:06 Send this review to a friend
Problems with SMA Connector  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My main review at this time is to warn you about the SMA Connector, first at all it was with the original antenna provided from TyT it is very fragile, it brokes when the antenna is bend a bit, so I replaced with a dual band Diamond antenna, that was the first issue, and after that one the problem was the SMA Connector from the radio that brokes so easy, after researching I found that those are a very common problems.
I don't like the track ball, is so sensitive and I'm afraid that may fail in the future.
DMR and analog works decently for me
N0FPE Rating: 1/5 Oct 30, 2017 17:29 Send this review to a friend
A mistake  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been trying to like the radio but just cant. receive audio is terrible, crackly and muffled. Programming is a nightmare. I have a Motorola 4550 and a 6500 and they are not as hard to program. I have been trying for 4 days to get the damn thing to work on digital with no luck, even have a MD380 codeplug that was converted and loaded just fine and it still will not work. I will more than likely dump this turkey at the next hamfest. A waste of money.
KC2FQ Rating: 3/5 Oct 17, 2017 10:19 Send this review to a friend
Meh  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was excited about this radio, thinking it could serve as my only HT having both bands and both modes that I want. WRONG! VERY hard to use if you're used to the "big 3" analog Ham radios. Not intuitive or user friendly at all. If you grew up with and are very proficient with commercial, digital radios, you might like it. The hate for the trackball seems pretty universal ... very touchy and quite useless. The other thing making this somewhat useless for most folks is that you won't find much on VHF digital (yet?). I found the Anytone AT-D868UV much more user friendly with its' VFO mode but there are no code plugs for it yet so put on your programmer/spreadsheet hat.
W0WFX Rating: 2/5 Oct 6, 2017 09:31 Send this review to a friend
Mine has been a dud  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Purchased my MD-2017 when they first came out. Out of the box the radio just never seemed to be as good as my MD-390. Kept the firmware up to date and the radio continued to degrade. Display would be blank on startup. Sometimes it took 3 to 4 tries to get the display to not be blank. UHF analog not great. Never seemed to be able reach repeaters the the 390 could. Used the radio mostly on a hotspot after finding it just did not seem to perform. Today was the last straw. I am careful will my HT's and do not use the antenna for a handle. Took the radio out of the charger and set it on the counter, the antenna just fell off. I now belong to the club of MD-2017 owners with broken antennas. Their 380 and 390 models are far suppeior.
W2MB Rating: 4/5 Aug 24, 2017 11:22 Send this review to a friend
Not bad for the price  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had this dual-band transciever for about 3 weeks. I also own or have owned the following DMR handhelds: TYT MD-380, TYT-MD-390 and a Motorola XPR7550e.

That being said, I find that the MD-2017 performs well for it's price. I found a vendor that sold it with speaker-mike for $169.00 shipped. It is solidly constructed and I have not had any antenna issues or spontaneous reboots. The Blackberry style navigation button can be locked out and unlocked with a long single key press. Also, I like it's ability to store 100,000 contacts via a segregated area of memory that is not within your regular users contacts. The programming software is more polished than that for the 380/390 but it is also more complex due to it's dual-band abilities. The short comings are poor battery life (likely due to 2 simultaneously active receivers instead of one) the operational and visual interface and susceptibility to intermod distortion on the analog frequencies when operated in an environment of mixed strong RF signals. It is not a Motorola, but then again, the entire package costs about the same as a 3yr subscription to Motorola DMR CPS.
AH6DX Rating: 2/5 Aug 9, 2017 10:08 Send this review to a friend
Not great at all  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
1. Receive is awful on FM, my $25 Baofeng is better.

2. The trackball is crazy useless, waay too sensitive!

3. Radio "reboots" at any time with no touch/input from user.

4. Time owned: 3 weeks too long!

5. I'm back to my MD-380 that is simpler, but works great!

7. I would not recommend this radio to anyone at this time.

Review by: Tommy KH6TA
AH6DX Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2017 22:56 Send this review to a friend
Mega-featured & works perfect!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This radio is so new that it is difficult to get correct information yet, but it is there if you take time to find it. The MD-2017 is not near as simple as the 380/390 and the programming had "glitches" the first try. You can convert an MD-380 code plug, but you must use CPS Ver 1.17! Using 1.16 works about half the time, however, if you write a NEW code plug and pay attention to details you will be very happy with the results! Don't even bother with the manual, it's close to worthless. I still give it a "5" because it works and sounds great! This radio has a nice feel and seems very well-built, nice display!

This review written by Tommy KH6TA