Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Anytone AT-778UV Help

Reviews Summary for Anytone AT-778UV
Anytone AT-778UV Reviews: 2 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $130
Description: Micro class dual band UHF/VHF mobile transceiver

You can write your own review of the Anytone AT-778UV.

N6DZK Rating: 4/5 Oct 16, 2017 12:41 Send this review to a friend
UPDATE   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
All issues have been resolved except for 1 (more on that in a moment). After some back and forth with the vendor, the usability issues mentioned in my previous post are "by design". Some of this I can chalk up to me, the operator. Some I can chalk up to questionable user interface design. Now that I have used the radio for several months I will capitulate that the bulk of the issues are with me and not the radio.

Now that I understand the workflow better, some of the A/B issues are not that big of a deal. So as it turns out, if you enter a mode, that mode will time out after about 5 seconds. For instance, if I hit A/B then chan up/dwn will also do A/B. But if I wait 5 seconds, the A/B function will time out. Or I can cancel that mode with a quick tap of PTT, or press any other key on the mic. It is one of those "once you know" things. All radios have these types of user interface issues. You just have to spend some time with the radio to work through them.

So after all that I can bump from 3 to 4/5 due to still not having DTMF transmit. The repeaters that I frequently use have features that are operated by DTMF. It may not be an issue for others, but for me and my use it is.

The rest of the previous review stands. It still has a very nice screen, good form factor, really good audio, and is actually fairly easy to program from the panel/mic. The software and cable certainly make things easier as they do with any radio.

JF1UCX Rating: 3/5 Aug 9, 2017 00:20 Send this review to a friend
Good little radio, but quirky  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this radio as a backup UHF mobile to use in the house. I really liked the multicolor display style with reverse LCD. I wish more low end radios had this kind of display. You can only see this type on high end HF rigs usually.

Also, the handset has a nice lighting feature that indicates what band/freq (A/B) the incoming audio is on.

The transmit audio is a bit on the hot side when closer than 5cms and too weak when farther away. A mod might be necessary, such as installing some mic foam on the mic element as well as enlarging the mic hole a bit, allowing one to 'cozy up' to the mic for stronger audio without clipping or breath wind noise.

I don't like the two stage procedure just to adjust the volume. On a mobile radio, that is not a good design feature. A simple volume knob would've been much better.

I am having trouble getting the radio to perform DTMF functions on nearby repeaters. The audio makes it in fine, but I cannot control the repeater by DTMF with this radio (but I can with all my other radios). Is it a bug? I'm still trying to figure it out. I'm using the online manual since the one that came with it was in Chinese exclusively.

The speaker audio isn't bad for a mobile, but it could be louder. My TYT 9000 can reach a level about twice as loud as this unit, which is necessary for mobile installations.

Also, the MON key, used to remove squelch to hear raw audio, seems to only work when depressed in. Once the pressure is released, it goes back to squelched audio. This is similar to the MON button on the side of HTs, in that it needs to be depressed to work. Again, this could be a bug or the intended design. Would be better to have a dual action switch, hit button once, raw audio. Hit it again, back to squelch.

This radio gets hot on high power. There is no fan.

Overall, it's a nice looking radio and has an exceptionally good feature filled display (with two meters, so you can monitor the second band/freq. and see the levels on it without having to bring it to the front.