Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | Piexx - TS-940 Interface Board Help

Reviews Summary for Piexx - TS-940 Interface Board
Piexx - TS-940 Interface Board Reviews: 17 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $$89.95
Description: All you need to interface your TS-940S to your PC
More info: http://www.piexx.com/cgi-bin/piexx.cgi?p=home

You can write your own review of the Piexx - TS-940 Interface Board.

W4VD Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2006 16:54 Send this review to a friend
Great Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was surprised to get mine on Monday after only ordering it on Friday.

It should take the average ham no more than 30 min to install taking his time. There is no way you can install it wrong.

I was very concerned about noise from this unit as some have experienced and hesitated buying it, before installing it I listened to the reciever in a dummy load, then installed it and all thru the spectrum it was completely quiet, this unit is not causing any noise whatsoever in this radio, that much I am relieved to report.

I did notice one glitch, on the Ham Radio Deluxe Beta 3.3 ver I have a slight flickering of the 940's display when connected, however this is a software issue, not a Piexx or a 940 problem, I can close the app and the flickering stops.

I use the rig interface that came with the Winlog32 I have used since 2001, it works fine for loggin and no flickering of the display like on HRD, the Interface "look" is not as fancy as HRD but the display acts normal so that's what I will stick with, Winlog32 has a builtin cluster and you can click on the spots and the rig goes to them, really neat. Also the rig interface on Winlog32 has a ton of memories you can program for mode and freq so there will be no more spinning the dial when QSYing from band to band, it's like having the auto mode select the newer rigs use (and I miss on the 940).

I would highly recommend this product if you have a 140 or a 940 and use PC logging it's the best 100 bucks you will spend, the clicking and pouncing on the DX via the cluster is great!

This is one product that does what it says it will

N7ZXP Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2006 11:21 Send this review to a friend
Works Great  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It was easy to install and works GREAT. I get no noise. Highly recemmend. I use with a couple different programs with no problem.

AB5GU Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2005 21:16 Send this review to a friend
Works Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one for my TS-940-sat after 2 IF-10B boards went bad. The Piexx board was easy to install and worked wonderfully. It's been in my 940 for about 2 years now and running full logging and rig control. Keep up the good work!!!

W3PH Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2005 15:51 Send this review to a friend
Works well, easy to install  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Easy to install with instructions and nice color pictures on Piexx web site. Worked with ACLog right away - no more logging contacts on the wrong band!

I'm not getting the noise others have mentioned.

AB5GU Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2004 20:53 Send this review to a friend
Works great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been running the piexx interface board in my TS940 for over a year now. It was easy to install and works flawlessly. A vast improvement over the Kenwood IF10B board. I had 2 of the IF 10B boards go bad on me. No luck talking to Kenwood about it.I'm just glad that Piexx made one that really works.
Thanks,
Marty

AA4MF Rating: 3/5 Jul 8, 2003 22:20 Send this review to a friend
Noisy Useful Interface  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Works as described. I use with Win-EQF and it makes logging a dream. Frequencies are automatically entered into my log and I can 'pounce' on spots.

The only problem I have is with digital noise. Its less than 1/2 of an S unit, but when the bands are quiet, it drives me crazy! I've looped the cable through three chokes at the same time and it does nothing to help. I think its getting into my receiver from the interface, but Piexx claims its my computer. It happens with my desktop and laptop computer - you be the judge.

Good product for the $$ - I just wish I could get rid of that noise!

K8AC Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2001 16:52 Send this review to a friend
Excellent add-on for a great transceiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When I recently acquired my TS-940S, and IF-232C interface, I was disappointed to find that the IF-10B interface board and PROM needed to complete the PC to 940 hookup was not installed. After much searching, I decided to go with this Piexx board instead of buying a used IF-10B and PROM at inflated prices. The IF-10B provided the digital interface and commands implementation, while the external IF-232C did the level conversion from TTL to RS-232C. The Piexx board installs in place of the IF-10B, and performs the functions of both the IF-10B and IF-232C (Piexx includes the necessary PROM in the package). The board includes a long (about 5') flat cable that exits the 940 cabinet via a narrow space between the rear of the cabinet top and the rear panel (no new holes required). At the end is a 9 pin connector that will connect directly to a serial port on your PC. Installation instructions are very precise and clear, and color photos are available on-line from Piexx showing the board installed and the associated cable routing and PROM location. Installation took under an hour and everything worked properly on the first try. Chris at Piexx informed me of a diagnostic command available (IF;) that can be used to check out the installation from a terminal program prior to using it with your regular logging or control program. That will help you determine where the problem lies should you have problems communicating with the 940 from the PC.

Just to make sure I never encounter any RFI problems with the board, I wrapped about a dozen turns of the narrow flat cable (about 1/2" wide) through a 2" toroid core and secured that to the fan cage near where the cable exits the cabinet.

This board is a great way to interface your TS-940S to your PC, and at a cost of about half of what you'd pay for the original Kenwood interface pieces. I placed the order via telephone one morning, and had the board in hand 48 hours later!