Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | Phonema speaker upgrade Help

Reviews Summary for Phonema speaker upgrade
Reviews: 3 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Phonema speaker upgrade. From DXE

You can write your own review of the Phonema speaker upgrade.

WB4M Rating: 4/5 Sep 30, 2017 11:30 Send this review to a friend
Upgrades the SP-2000  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Yaesu SP-2000 speaker is basically a large empty metal cracker box, don't see how it gets such good reviews. Mine always had a tinny sound so decided to try the Phonema upgrade and ordered it from DXE. I was surprised at the weight of the material, it effectively doubles or triples the weight of the speaker. My speaker no longer slides easily on the desk. Installation requires taking the speaker apart and putting the foam inserts in the proper places and the fit is quite snug. It does indeed give the speaker a much richer and fuller sound, no more tinny sound. The filters definitely have more effect, especially the high cut filter, and on SSB signals.

W3ULS Rating: 4/5 Aug 11, 2017 09:50 Send this review to a friend
Worth the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have just installed (with lots of help from the XYL) a nifty kit for the Yaesu SP-2000.

With this mod, Phonema completely refabricated the interior of the SP-2000, with the result that the speaker has a more solid and accurate sound. Atmospheric conditions of late have been horrific, with thunderstorms up and down the east coast as well as inland to the Mississippi, so I have not been able to fully road test the "new" SP-2000 on SSB.

Results so far are satisfying; I will submit a more comprehensive review in the fall after the QRN dies down.

Johm, W3ULS

N4UE Rating: 3/5 Jul 9, 2017 14:20 Send this review to a friend
Disappointed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just OK.
The speaker assemblies themselves have a great reputation.
This is only 1/2 the story, please see my review of the Icom SP-23.

In anticipation of the Icom 7610, I decided to get a new matching speaker.

Be advised, I have hundreds of external speakers thanks to a large, local charity store. It is hard to beat a Sony Surround Sound Speaker for $3!
But, being a true old fart, I like to have matching radios and speakers. The 7610 will replace my beloved 756PRO and SP-21. The 756PRO goes though an MFJ-616 (excellent, BTW), and some external speakers.
I found a like new SP-23 on ePay for an acceptable price. I decided to 'upgrade' it even though I've never used it.
So, I ordered the Phonema speaker upgrade for the SP-23.
When I disassembled the SP-23, I realized why the speaker 'might' have been for sale. See the SP-23 review for details.
The Phonema speaker kit contained just a replacement speaker with a slightly larger magnet and a foam spacer.
Darn if I could tell much difference, listening to the Icom speaker versus the Phonema, each out of the cabinet.
In retrospect, I'd have been better off getting a speaker from Parts Express or from ePay......

YMMV, as do your ears. ha ha

ron