Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | Winlog32 Help

Reviews Summary for Winlog32
Winlog32 Reviews: 59 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $0.00
Description: Full featured logging program for Windows
More info: http://www.winlog32.co.uk

You can write your own review of the Winlog32.

G3ZQH Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2011 13:04 Send this review to a friend
Designed for DXers- has everything you'll ever need  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I returned to the hobby after a decade away I looked at many logging programs. I liked Winlog because it was simple and easy to set up and it was a very straightforward process to add in about 1000 QSOs I needed to transfer from a paper log. It took me a while (a few years actually...) to realise that there are many hidden depths to it. I have used it for six years now and am a very satisfied user.
It has a no-fuss entry mode for the QSO basics- just enough for the essential details. There is a very smooth interface with the DX cluster including a clickable band map- and loads of extra information on each call at the click of a mouse. Winlog keeps track of your DXCCs and a host of other awards. The interfaces with LOTW and Clublog are easy to use and there are options for other links as well.
It links very nicely with Winkey for CW and the rig control works with a wide range of equipment. It even has a nice basic contest mode for those casual contest QSOs where you need to keep track of serial numbers and exchanges. There is a QSL database and a very neat way of printing labels or indeed whole QSL cards.
Winlog is at its best if you are interesting in DXing and DX awards. Colour coding tells you straight away if the DX is a new band or mode slot and if it is confirmed or not. The log search facilities are superb and fast, and there is even a nice year on year statistical summary of QSOs included.
I can't find much to fault in Winlog. It does everything I want and more. There are regular updates and an active forum where many user suggestions are taken up by the author and user problems are responded to very quickly. Winlog is free to use, but anyone who has used this software will have no hesitation in paying G0CUZ the small amount to become a fully registered user. All in all a great piece of software expertly designed for its purpose.

Dave G3ZQH

SM2LKW Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2011 19:12 Send this review to a friend
Great Program!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using the Winlog32 for 3 years.
I find this software very nice and easy to use.
To day I could not do without it!
This sofware has all I could ask for, award tracking, rig control, DX cluster,
country maps, LOTW uploading, eQSL uploading, QSL printing, etc.
The support is outstanding.
Keep up the good work Colin!

OK1FIM Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2011 10:57 Send this review to a friend
Very good LOG  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am using the WL32 for abt 8 years and I am very satisfied.
There are every time fresh databases and autor Colin is communicative and willingly helps if you have some problem.
73 Vlasta

K2CBI Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2011 08:41 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I started using Winlog32 in 2002. While not always intuitive, I find it to be an excellent program.

In terms of stability, it essentially never crashes or brings down Windows.

In terms of functionality, it contains a tremendous amount in addition to logging. If you take the time to read the HELP, and enter your QSOs in the proper format, the program will track all kinds of awards for you.

Plus - rig control, DX cluster, rotor control, country maps, LOTW uploading, eQSL uploading, QSL card printing, etc., etc., as described in many other reviews.

The price is a bargain -$0.00! Of course, it's a good idea to donate something to the author if you like the program. However, that is not required. The program remains entirely functional even if you don't donate. No crippleware.

My only current suggestion for improvement is to offer a pdf file download of the entire HELP manual. Not easy to print this out from the program at present. My old brain retains things better if I read them on paper. I sometimes forget things I've read in the online HELP.

M0AZJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2011 04:12 Send this review to a friend
Great program  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I find Winlog32 easy to use, support is great. I have had an answer to my problems in a very short time. On building a new database for my own requirements I encountered some problems all down to me I might add. With much assistance from Colin it is now up and working well.
Keep up the good work Colin
Graham M0AZJ

K4FX Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2011 08:37 Send this review to a friend
Still the best (and the simplest)  Time owned: more than 12 months
After ten pleasant years with Winlog32, I am on the verge of logging my 50 thousandth QSO in Winlog32. The next contest I run should put me over that hump. Colin has continued to improve this software on a regular basis. I would be lost without it. It takes my DXCC standing, alerts me when a new one comes along, and does it in a super friendly and simple way. I rarely say this, but this product is severely under priced!

Sometimes things can be made so easy they seem difficult, I have seen a couple of people who just can't seem to catch on how to enter a QSO with Winlog and they think it is the fault of the program. With the user group on Colin's website, that answer is only a message away, but I guess you have to make the effort to ask in order to be told.

All you have to do to enter a QSO is either keep pressing enter until the cursor moves through all the fields and hits the END button OR simply click the END button. If one takes the time to hover their mouse over the END button a label pops up that says "END QSO (SAVE TO DATABASE)"

I don't see how Colin could have made it any simpler. And judging by the majority of users who praise it here, I don't think I am alone.

K7DWO Rating: 1/5 Jun 16, 2011 11:37 Send this review to a friend
Not Intuitive  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I downloaded this a couple of days ago. Download and installation went smoothly. Liked the format of the input screen. However, the software is not intuitive. After entering my first contact I cannot figure out how to clear the screen and enter new contacts. I can clear the screen but as soon as I start entering a new contact the old one pops back into the entry screens. There is nothing in the help about this.

N9BPE Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2011 08:17 Send this review to a friend
Great program  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just started using Winlog32 and find it to be a great logging program. I have most of the features working but find nothing much about W.A.S logging. I don't even see a column listing the state! or a place to enter it. DXCC seems easy enough though .. I am sure it is simple once you get used to using it. 73 Carl (N9BPE)

K2WLO Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2011 06:49 Send this review to a friend
easy to use!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
If anyone takes the time to look through all of these reviews they will see all fives and a few zeros. As far as WinLog32, it is easy to use and Colin ALWAYS answers the questions that I post (in the Forum on his site) within 24hrs. It is fun keeping track of WAS, DXCC, IOTA, and more! I like looking through the many data pages. Gives me a greater sense of accomplishment as I fill my log. I registered because the software was free and I figured he deserved something for his trouble. And I got a map feature having done so...

MM3XXW Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2010 13:08 Send this review to a friend
All you'll ever need ....  Time owned: more than 12 months
Used it for a few years now and as has been stated already it's all you'll really need in a logging programme.

Updates are regularly available and the author, Colin-G0CUZ, is really helpful if you get stuck. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Martyn-MM0XXW