Reviews Categories | QSL printers; callsign badge engravers; etc. | eQSL Help

Reviews Summary for eQSL
eQSL Reviews: 226 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $Free - Donations accepted
Description: Electronic web-based QSL exchange service
More info: http://www.eqsl.cc

You can write your own review of the eQSL.

K4EZD Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2013 15:10 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
Since I use Ham Radio Deluxe for my logging I like that the eQSLs are sent out automatically and immediately when I log with no extra effort. At this point I have more confirmed eQSLs than the ones in LOTW. Hard to complain about this product no matter how you look at it!

K4CMC Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2013 10:41 Send this review to a friend
Great Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
EQSL is the greatest thing since sliced bread. The software works great, in contrast to the software designed by the clowns who originally setup Logbook of the World. When it was first announced I tried to get onto that program several times with no success. For an organization that touts its technical expertise it was a major embarrassment to the ARRL. While they now seem to have fixed a lot of the original software problems they charge much more than EQSL. I have used them for about ten years with great success. Those who carp about the very minor cost they charge for the AG rating obviously are liberals who think they can get a great service for nothing. The only downside it that ARRL refuses to accept EQSL's for their awards program for the obvious reason that they are in competition with EQSL.

K2TTM Rating: 4/5 Dec 19, 2012 10:32 Send this review to a friend
So Far So Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently signed up for eQSL and for me it's been a very positive experience. I have been QRT for a number of years & only got back on the air in the beginning of Oct. It was a simple matter to download my entire log of about 1600 QSO's. What a surprise to discover that I had 62 confirmed AG DX contacts & 27 AG States. All in 2 1/2 months. Granted it's not quite the same as receiving hard copy QSL cards, which I will still send & collect, but for a quick idea of where I am and for those stations that simply can't or won't send a hard copy QSL card it's great. I give it 4 because there are a few quirks that need to be addressed, but I consider them relatively minor. All in all I think it's a great idea. One thing I agree on with some of the other reviewers is that unless you are willing to fork over a minimum of $30 (per year) your eQSL card will be butt ugly.

KA9OFM Rating: 2/5 May 16, 2012 20:09 Send this review to a friend
Not There Yet  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
When you first go to their website they tell you that they want to provide their services FREE, but after you get your account setup you quickly find out that you can only use a very generic actually UGLY format to make a generic qsl card that will be sent. If you want better, or to upload your own qsl card then you have to pay. First bad taste!
It seems that you are going to have to go all the way to the au membership to actually have the site do what they say. Never got any returns after 75 trys.
ALL IN ALL I would say that you are better off just emailing your contact with a jpeg attached.
FYI this is the way I do it at present. I have my blank qsl jpeg on my computer that I use in a cheap photo edit program. I just use the add text feature to add the contact info to the qsl jpeg then save as qsl(contact call sign). I do this over and over until I have all the qsl cards ready to email, then just go back to my paper log to find the email addresses and email them out. Several Amateurs are doing this too. It works nice and you print them if you want or they make a nice file on your computer.....
Just my 2 cents...

GM6TVR Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2012 07:18 Send this review to a friend
No problem so far...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used eQSL for a number of stations I ran in various parts of the World, and so far, so good. Received a large number of requests to have my gm6tvr/4s7 operation from Sri Lanka in the 1980's authenticated by eQSL which I have just done, having finally dug out the original licence issued in September 1985. Would be grateful if anyone reading this would pass this information on to others who may wish to now have the real deal as my run of qsl cards for this qth ran out years ago. Anyway, the bottom line is that I have seven call signs registered with eQSL and never had a problem with the system at any time.
73, John - gm6tvr

LA6VQ Rating: 2/5 Apr 16, 2012 07:18 Send this review to a friend
Not for multi-QTH users yet  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
eQSL seems to be a good, but unfulfilled idea. It seems to be working well for hams who work from one QTH or who use one call sign per QTH, but not for multi-QTH hams with the same call sign everywhere within their entity.

In many countries, including some of the big amateur radio countries, we do not use regional call signs, and have no suffix extension/designator to indicate if we work from QTHs outside the home base. This means that my call sign is LA6VQ no matter where I work from a fixed QTH inside Norway. Obviously if I go to Germany I become DL/LA6VQ and in California I'll be W6/LA6VQ. The extensions /P, /M, /MM, /AM are all reserved for truly portable and mobile use, i.e. carrying the equipment (TX/RX, power, antenna) to a non-fixed location (mountain-top or similar style), or from a car, ship, aircraft notwithstanding their position or movement.
The consequence for eQSL is that I have only one call sign to be used for several fixed QTHs. Some of them are IOTA islands, and some are placed in grid locators differing from my home QTH on more than the last two of the locator characters, although some of them are quite close. If the locator is changed, eQSLs changes the locators of all previous QSOs. I don't know what happens to IOTA Reference numbers, etc., but suspect the same change applies to all geographical designators.

If my locators didn't change, I could to some extent remedy some of the problems by creating new accounts every time I worked from a different QTH. Within not too long, I would have tens or hundreds of accounts connected to my call sign, which will be true mess to maintain and control.
All of this renders eQSL near useless for multi-QTH operations. It lacks quite a bit in the basic setup, not to mention the flexibility and user friendliness. The most serious issue, however, is that it changes my log for previous QSOs if I change my locator. I make no changes to my log unless information in the log is verifiably wrong. I certainly will not accept any automatic error creation by eQSL.
If eQSL will make it possible to establish accounts by QTH, and allow me to register an unlimited number of time periods per QTH account, it will look like my log, and I will run no risk of giving wrong confirmation or having my log information unintendedly altered and confirmations changed by eQSL. LoTW has solved this, and I see no reason why the eQSL database could not be set up in a similar manner, unless the setup is too rigid or flawed for anything else than one QTH at a time for the same call sign.

In my recent communication with eQSL responses have been very swift, contrary to some reports here. They are aware of the issues stated above, but lack the capacity to rectify them within the near future.

For this, and the ambition, I rate it 2/5, because it needs serious help to become a useful tool for multi-QTH users, who want to stick to the call sign rules and maintain a strict policy on logging and qsl-ing. Once restructured as indicated in the preceding paragraph, I will use it in parallel with bureau, direct and LoTW. In the meanwhile, I hope the reprogramming capacity can be improved, but otherwise stand by for improvements.

GM1SXX Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2012 09:03 Send this review to a friend
Love it!  Time owned: more than 12 months
eQSL seems to polarise opnion into two camps but for myself, I love it. It's fast, convenient and 'does what it says on the tin'. I do still send and receive paper QSL's but I much prefer to eQSL wherever possible. Life is too short to wait on the Bureau. I scan my paper cards and save them alongside my digital ones as a screensaver for my PC. I haven't tried LOTW or any of the other options, but I am happy with eQSL.

Regards,
AL GM1SXX

W0FAA Rating: 4/5 Jan 15, 2012 08:00 Send this review to a friend
You don't pay for support  Time owned: more than 12 months
It works great for me, always has.
I understand the frustration some will feel when it doesn't work for them and emails go unanswered, but I can't imagine how they could afford to provide decent support. They state they have hundreds of thousands of users. If only 1 tenth of 1% contact them for something every day it's still several hundred emails with problems that probably are not be the fault of their site but rather a script blocker, or an incompatible browser, or a firewall, or anti-virus, or an old Java version, etc. on the users computer.

If it works fine for a couple of hundred thousand other users, then the problem is on your end. They don't have the resources to help you figure it out. That's just the economic reality of small internet sites with lots of users. It stinks, but there it is.

If you paid for it they should refund your money. Otherwise, try it from your laptop, from a friend's computer, with a different browser, a different OS. You're a ham, troubleshoot it. Maybe you can get it to work.

KB5YN Rating: 3/5 Jan 6, 2012 08:07 Send this review to a friend
Could be great.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I finally got EDX100. EQSL should require everyone to be AG. because EQSL does not count non AG contacts, so whats the point. If the ARRL would recognize EQSL for awards then that would make this a great product. It took me 62 contacts with Hawaii to get TWO AG EQSL cards. Most of these contacts did not do EQL and some that did were not AG. Look at the EQSL website for the meaning of AG.
I am OK with getting only EQSL awards for contacts, because, no one really cares but you, how many awards you have.

WB4SON Rating: 5/5 Dec 28, 2011 14:34 Send this review to a friend
Works great for me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After avoiding it for 10 months, I finally activated my eQSL account. I found 55 DX Country QSLs waiting for me and confirmation from all 50 states. Out of 1000 QSOs in that period, almost 600 were confirmed via eQSL. That's a little higher than the 52% QSL rate that I get using LotW. And many of the users have attractive QSL cards that you can print on the spot.