Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Radioddity GD-77 Dual Band DMR Help

Reviews Summary for Radioddity GD-77 Dual Band DMR
Radioddity GD-77 Dual Band DMR Reviews: 12 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $86.99
Description: Radioddity GD-77 DMR Dual Band Digital Two Way Radio Dual
Time Slot Compatible with Mototrbo Tier 1&Tier 2

You can write your own review of the Radioddity GD-77 Dual Band DMR.

VK7ZJA Rating: 4/5 Mar 13, 2018 20:02 Send this review to a friend
A rough diamond  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Radioddity's GD-77 is the best value dual band DMR hand held radio available. At under $100, you get VHF & UHF, FM & DMR, excellent sound quality on both transmit and receive, a very sensitive receiver, 1024 channels / 10000+ digital contacts all wrapped up in a pretty well built case. Of course at this price you're not going to get Motorola supreme ruggedness, but I've dropped my GD-77 a number of times and it still keeps on going every bit as well as day one. It's small size and light weight make it great for portable work, and it doesn't look like a toy walkie-talkie (looking at you, Baofeng!) The display is nice & clear, battery life is excellent, and the keys have good tactile feedback in use. With all these positives, there must be a downside, right? This is a radio that will make you work hard to get good results. It's not the sort of radio where you can use right out of the box or with just a few minutes of keyboard programming; you've got a lot of work to do in the programming software to get the radio 'just so' for you. You can always use another persons' configuration file, though. The software & firmware do have several bugs, which Radioddity are very slowly fixing up. And lets be honest here, ALL other similar dual band DMR handhelds have issues like that, some to the point where they make the radio un-usable. But as Radioddity & other third parties make their own independent improvements to the software & firmware, once the bugs are all ironed out, I think the GD-77 has the potential to knock the MD-380 off it's throne. If you're prepared to do a little work, to do a little research on how to avoid or overcome some bugs and other issues, and want great value dual band (tri-band with modifications) DMR handheld radio, this is the one for you.

At the moment it's a rough diamond, but once it's polished up, it'll shine real bright.
KA2OON Rating: 1/5 Jan 21, 2018 13:14 Send this review to a friend
Junk  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
AFTER RADIO RESET, THEN FIRMWARE UP GRADE I CAN NOT GET THE RADIOS TO TRANSMIT MORE THEN ABOUT A HALF OF A WATT. I have two of these rigs all results the same. DO NOT BE FOOLED. The display on both rigs shows a change from low to high power. My watt meter says BS, no matter what the display says the watt meter sees no change.To check the results I hooked an MD380 in line, the results were as expected, about half watt LP, about 5 W HP I have done a few resets, and reverted the Firmware a few times. Nothing works, a half watt out. Second test My HP 555A spectrun analyzer, also sees no diference between Low, and High Power. Again all test FM, Two GD77's. I am not happy
KG9H Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2018 18:41 Send this review to a friend
Great value for the money  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Had mine since April, I think mine came from the second batch into the US. Never upgraded the firmware, etc, just used it as it came to me.

Works out well, I use on V & U. Analog sounds outstanding and DMR is great. I don't think I will ever upgrade the firmware, it works well as it is.
Can't go wrong with this for the money.
SV2EVS Rating: 4/5 Dec 5, 2017 08:10 Send this review to a friend
Nice DMR/Analog HT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using this DMR radio for only two days and i think its time to share my opinion about this DMR radio. First DMR radio, i am using it now for one day and the battery seems to last long enough with 1w. I did not press with 5w because the local repeater hears me very good. I whould liked a bigger display and some backlight on the keypad.
Digital radio is a huge upgrade from analog handhelds where repeaters don't hear you well enough. One must try it out.
W9MT Rating: 4/5 Dec 1, 2017 12:29 Send this review to a friend
Great fun to price ratio.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I own both the Radioddity GD-77 and the TYT MD-380. I bought the ‘77 to try a different brand, have dual band capability, have a working radio in the event I brick the ‘380 if I get brave enough to try a “tools software overlay”, and not have to deal with the trackball of TYT’s MD-2017.

Both radios work great with my SharkRF openSPOT and have excellent transmit audio. The ‘77 has a low volume digital “squeeging noise” on receive audio that goes away at higher volume settings when using the internal speaker. It vanishes at all volume settings when using an external speaker-mike.

This is my 2nd GD-77. The original stopped transmitting after about 45 minutes of on the air use. (Same codeplug died.) Hooray for Amazon standing behind what they sell.

Overall, I’m happy with my GD-77, but the MD-380’s performance is closer to that of a commercial use radio.
DL4NO Rating: 4/5 Nov 12, 2017 03:25 Send this review to a friend
Nice Entry into the DMR World  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The GD-77 is largely responsible for the recent DMR hype here in Germany: DMR and FM, 2m and 70cm. Most DMR units are 70cm only and MUCH more expensive.

Usability from the ham perspective is as bad as it is at all DMR units I know. But they are designed for other purposes.

I had the chance to test the most important characteristics with recently calibrated Rohde & Schwarz measuring equipment, with about identical results on 2m and 70cm:

- Squelch opens at 0.12µV
- Output power 4.85 W

I tend the think that the manufacturer has good measuring equipment. Otherwise they would not dare to go that close to the 5 W limit.

The big surprise: The TX signal is clean! The highest spurious transmission is at 1.5 times the 2m signal at -68.5 dB. The required additional 1.5 dB should be filtered by the antenna :-) To measure the 2nd harmonics we had to reduce the spectrum analyzer bandwidth considerably as it was in the -80 db range. The equipment was calibrated up to 6 GHz.

I had given five points if the charging unit would be not as bad as it is:

- The power supply provides 12 V into a USB socket! This is a disaster waiting to happen.

- The switching voltage regulator in the charger is not blocked for RF. I added ceramic capacitors across the regulator chip and across the electrolytic C at the output. Now I can listen while the TRX is in the charger.

- When I keyed the TRX in my hand the charging indicator blinked. Where RF can go in, RF can get out.

- The minus contact of the charger is NOT connected to minus ground. There is a resistor to measure the charging current. I have not evaluated whether this measurement influences the charging current. You should not charge the TRX from your common 13.8 V shack supply AND connect the TRX to a grounded antenna.

I described my modifications at The text is in German but the pictures should explain the story.
K8PD Rating: 4/5 Sep 30, 2017 20:56 Send this review to a friend
Good Value - Has a Few Rough Spots That Need Refinment  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The GD-77 is a good value and the build quality is decent (much better than the Baofengs) although not quite in the same league with the MD380/390, CS-580 or professional radios. The charger and programming cable are identical to the TYT MD-380 chargers and you may want to make mod the charger to slightly reduce the final voltage the battery sees when the green light comes on by a couple of 10ths of a volt.

There are a few rough edges and features that the manufacturer seems to be ironing out as they get feedback from early users.

I'm generally happy with this radio but have discovered one issue that needs fixing in a future release of firmware. The "Talk Permit" chirp used to indicate the radio has synced with the repeater time slot is non functional. A chirp happens immediately when the PTT is pushed even if there is no handshake with a repeater. You need to visually observe the display to determine whether you have synced with the repeater.

Other want items would be more than 256 digital contact capability which only makes it useful for talk groups and a small number of private calls. A radio targeted at the amateur market really should have the ability to store at least a statewide or regional database.

That said ... this radio is an amazing value and has good manufacturer support. I have confidence they will work out the glitches in the firmware promptly and that eventually there will be a version that supports a larger contact database. Once that happens, it would rate a 5 with me.
AF7CS Rating: 0/5 Sep 29, 2017 09:01 Send this review to a friend
DOA  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Dead on arrival. No response.
Charger did indicate it was charged.
N8PMG Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2017 15:08 Send this review to a friend
Very good value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The best thing I have seen so far is the firmware and CPS updates that have been released. They show much better support that other cheap DMR choices have had. The radio works as it should, and in the lower tier of DMR is an excellent entry choice. Even better, it is dual band, which the high end professional DMR units don't offer. The long term performance has yet to be tested, but it seems well constructed. It's not a Hytera, but it is better than the other brand ending in ...era, and much more affordable than their dual bander.
N6DMR Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2017 17:12 Send this review to a friend
Great DMR Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a pair of these radios from Amazon. They are excellent DMR and analog units and are at a great price point.

As a new DMR user, this was an experience. I had some operator error issues and one email to their Tech Support got me answers in less that 24 hours.

You can program channels from the keypad, it is a slow process though and better to use the traditional CPS software.

There have been some start up issues but the way Radioddity has done updates is amazing. The latest firmware and CPS software is very stable. I expect future updates will make it even better.

Join the Radioddity and Radioddity GD-77 Facebook pages for updates and user forums.