Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Connect Systems CS 800D Help

Reviews Summary for Connect Systems CS 800D
Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $399
Description: Connect Systems Inc. Dual Band DMR Radio
More info: http://www.connectsystems.com/products/top/radios%20CS800D.htm

You can write your own review of the Connect Systems CS 800D.

KJ7TY Rating: 2/5 Feb 7, 2018 13:47 Send this review to a friend
Great idea, poor sensitivity  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The concept of a dual band DMR/analog mobile transceiver is exciting. The experience I had with this recently purchased radio was discouraging.

Pros:

Seems to be structurally sound with a good heat sink.
Seller provided fast shipping.
Price is affordable.
Programming software is user friendly.

Cons:

Receive sensitivity is below average, bordering on poor.
Display is lacking, but not a deal breaker.
Internal speaker is below average in audio quality.
Radio periodically locks up, requiring it to be powered off and on in order to free it.
Scanning is not the best.
Very difficult to work simplex on analog due to poor receive sensitivity. Does better though on open squelch...

Conclusion: My ht receives better on a rubber duck than this radio on a mobile antenna, and yes, the cs800d was set on wideband, squelch level 1, on a diamond mobile antenna with a 1:1.2 swr. Personal opinion after my experience with this radio is that I would not have purchased it knowing what I do now. After reaching out to seller, I decided to sell the radio to a ham for $150.00, as he works local repeaters.

I also ran a comparison of this radio with my old Alinco Dr635 on the same freqs and antenna. The Alinco outperformed the cs800d hands down.

If the radio I received is not a lemon, and other units are coming off the assembly line in the same condition, hopefully the manufacture will be able to fix the bugs and bring the performance up to industry standards.

Note: Yes, the software and firmware are up to date.

73s,

Mike

VE6DO Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2018 18:02 Send this review to a friend
Overall a great radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using the CS800D for a few weeks now and find it to be very much like the CS800 I have in my vehicle. I am using it at home and find that it works just fine. I have not had any issues with it, but I do find that scanning has still a lot to be desired. I know that scanning is still one of those things that Connect Systems is working on for a future firmware update. My CS800D is the latest version (hardware version 3) and it works well. I have not experienced any rebooting issues or any unusual issues. I used a code plug very similar to my CS800 and have found it to be reliable in my DMR and analog channels. The customer service provided by Connect Systems is top notch and one of the reasons I bought the radios that I have.

KK4GOI Rating: 4/5 Jan 28, 2018 14:37 Send this review to a friend
Excellent, NOT perfect (yet)  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have been hard exercising my new CS800D. My prior experience with DMR has been with Motorola XPR's, Hytera and TYT radios and CPS tools. The CS800D compares favorably, especially in quality of the CPS tool. I am not pleased with the scanning hang time parameters, otherwise I would score the radio an easy 5. The maximum programmable hang time appears to be 10 seconds (10,000 ms). With that parameter programmed in my radio, it is hit or miss with hang on scan for 1 or a few more seconds. Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong? To be fair I am not sure, but am leaning toward buggy scan. Even if it hung reliably for 10 seconds, I suggest this is not enough option and that the radio should have the option of permanent scan hang as long as there is incoming traffic on a frequency within the scan list, only reverting to scan after traffic ceases or upon incoming traffic on priority channel. This is the existing functionality in Motorola, Hytera and TYT DMR/analog radios and all Yaesu, Icom and Kenwood analog and digital voice radios. Hoping CS gets this functionality in a firmware update. If this is done I will amend my review to a 5 score.

WA3SEE Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2017 14:00 Send this review to a friend
Great Dual Band Mobile  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
CS 800D is dual band VHF/UHF version of the popular mono band CS800. Radio supports both analog FM and DMR modes. Power out can be set at 10, 20 or 40 Watts on individual channels. Memory can store up to 4000 channels with as many as 250 zones. Eight programmable buttons, user can choose function via long or short press. Ordered from CS web store last month and received in two days. Detachable head easy to setup in my car using standard CAT5 cable, that I had. Downloaded free programming software from CS web site, works fine.

KD4EG Rating: 4/5 Dec 6, 2017 11:48 Send this review to a friend
Continues to improve  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
New update after owning for more than 3 Months. Upgraded the Firmware Version to MS 20.06 in November 2017. This helped the scanning issues. So far the radio continues to work as it should. The squelch threshold could use improvement on analog. The The programming software (CPS) has also improved. I would still buy the radio again given other options at this time.

KD4EG Rating: 4/5 Aug 14, 2017 20:02 Send this review to a friend
Could almost give it a 5  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a general overview as I have only had this radio a few days and continue to get familiar with the features and radio functions.

It was reported that I received the 2nd batch of these radio form the manufacturer. Earlier folks reported issues with the VHF receive sensitivity.

The VHF receiver and UHF receiver in this radio is as good as any of the major Japanese radios. In fact, the VHF receiver seems to be more immune to line noise on FM than my well know Japans radios. Power out was confirmed and is as reported in the specifications on both band around 40 watts in FM mode. Receiver sensitivity is excellent and exceeds specification when bench tested. The receive audio and transmit audio is excellent on both DMR and FM.

The reason I could not give this a 5 is because the scan function does not work as it should. As in most radios when you push the PTT the scan stops and allows you to transmit on the busy frequency. Instead the 800D radio would transmit on the 1st Channel in the Zone which is set for the scan group. I found that extending the Signaling Hold Time to max level will help this situation. Which allows you the time to transmit before the scan function moves on. 2nd issues is the display does not always track the proper frequency when it stops and receives a signal. Adjusting the volume level, the radio will then display to the proper frequency being received after the volume level display clears.

Connect Systems is aware of this issue and are working diligently with the manufacturer to fix these issues which seem to be software related. The scan issues is also reported to be with the CS800 UHF model as well. The two radios are very similar to point they look identical. Based on my experience Connect Systems and response reported by other folks, I believe in time, the software bug issues will be worked out and we will be able to upgrade the software to fix the bugs. At the time this review the radios are fairly new release to the market.

The programming software (CPS) could use improvements in the areas such as individual adjustments of squelch settings for the UHF and VHF bands. Also tx deviation levels are not adjustable for the individual bands.

Would I buy the radio again? Indeed I would. Currently I believe the radio is pretty much spot on for the price performance. In fact in general, the radio transmit and receive performance exceed my expectations. Connect Systems Group by Jerry Wanger, also has a Facebook page where folks post question and they respond product issues. I am very impressed by Connect Systems goodwill to respond to issues as they come along.