Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Icom IC-T2A & T2H Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-T2A & T2H
Icom IC-T2A & T2H Reviews: 74 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $159
Description: Icom 2 meter single band handheld. 6 watt, 43 memories. Tone Squelch (CTCSS Encode/Decode) Standard, with Pocket Beep and Tone Scan. 8 Programmable Keys. 5 DTMF Memory Channels, with up to 32 Digits Codes & Re-Dial for Autopatching Repeaters. 10 Weather Channels. MIL SPEC C/D/E for Shock and Vibration. Direct Keypad Frequency Entry. Back lighted LCD Display. Auto Repeater Function. 2-Step Power Save Function. Monitor Function. Lock Function. Comes with rechargeable "AA" Ni-Cd batteries and charger. Or, use "AA" alkalines.
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/amateur/2mhand/index.html

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-T2A & T2H.

N1KSN Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2002 05:31 Send this review to a friend
Good value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I haven't had my T2H Sport for long, nor have I exposed it to any extreme conditions, but I am quite satisfied with its performance so far. It feels rugged and has the heft I prefer in an HT. Price-wise, the rig was only $99.95, but I added about $75 more by getting eight Radio Shack NiMH AAs and an 8-cell fast charger for them.

Although reviews suggested it isn't the easiest or most natural HT to program, I had no problems after reading the manual. I set up one programmable key to get quickly to the weather band and entered the frequencies, offsets, and tones for the 23 or so 2m repeaters in NE Wisconsin into memory. Tedious but straightforward. I put three Wisconsin Central RR frequencies into memory for causual railfan scanning, too.

Before receiving the radio I invested in a longer antenna, but found that the supplied rubber duckie was actually pretty good. I found an Icom headset/boom mic on sale (HS-21?) and got a very good audio report on a local repeater with it.

All-in-all, I'm quite pleased and would recommend this unit to others.

Andy, N1KSN/9

KB1FJR Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2002 16:31 Send this review to a friend
Good radio, needs BETTER belt clip  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got my first IC-T2H in 1998 to replace my bulky HTX-202 (which is a great radio, but too big to carry around all the time in my opinion) This radio is MIL SPEC C/D/E, which means it can take a beating. The numbers, etc. on the keypad have NEVER worn off, which is a plus. The speaker audio is superb. The AA alkaline pack allows you to use anything from Alkalines to NIMH batteries. I have the WW Battery eliminator it works good I use the radio in the house and for some packet. Since I'm mobile alot. This radio is fairly easy to program. One BIG problem is the Belt clip, the supplied MB68 belt clip is junk, it works for a little while and snaps off. I was at the Boston Marathon when the clip broke. Worse comes to worse you can put the radio in your pocket. I had to buy another BP-194 battery pack. I use the Icom MB74 spring loaded belt clip which works very well. The US Army and USMC use the IC-T2H's brother the IC-F3S for "solder-intercommunication" in the battlefield (basically they use the radios in place of hand signals, etc.) The IC-F3S is an IC-T2H without the DTMF pad and I think an SMA antenna connector. The US Army tested the IC-F3S in the Jungles of Panama, and now is standard issue.

KD7GES Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2002 18:01 Send this review to a friend
Durable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my T2H now for almost three years, and it is the most durable radio I have ever owned. It has been abused (dropped, kicked, embedded with fine dirt/dust, trampled over) and I have only have had one problem. The side PTT switch went out, this happened after I dropped it (it was still embedded with the fine dust, before I was able to clean it). However I used an external SP/Mic for the rest of the trip, afterwards I cleaned the dust out of it and sent it to Icom and they fixed the problem with no snags (it was under warrantee). I would recommend this Radio to anyone. I am also now using an aftermarket (W&W) NiMH BP-196 1500MAH Battery, Works Great.

KD7QYS Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2002 15:43 Send this review to a friend
MOST BANG FOR THE BUCK  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I BOUGHT MY T2H JUST BEFORE I GOT MY TICKET, BECAUSE IT GIVES ME THE MOST BANG FOR MY $89.00 DOLLARS. I USE IT AS A MOBLE WITH A 5/8TH WAVE MAG MOUNT, IF I HAVE CORRECT REPEATER INFO I CAN USE THEM. I USE REPEATERS 40-TO 70 MILES FROM MY HOME CITY DAILY. IT CAN BE EASLY MODIFIED TO RECIEVE 100 TO 200MHZ AND TRANSMIT ON 130MHZ TO 182.350. I WILL BUY ATLEAST ONE OR TWO MORE HERE IN THEN NEAR FUTURE. I LOVE MINE I THINK YOU WILL TO.I ALSO HAVE 3 BP196 BATTERY PACKS THAT I USE WITH MY F3S ALSO AND AN ADVANTECH IN CAR CHARGER
NO COMPLAINTS OR GRIPES

KD7QYS

KD5AMR Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2002 14:13 Send this review to a friend
I would have destroyed lesser radios  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used (and abused) two IC-T2s for over five years, with absolutely no problem. I have used them on SAR operations in the heat of Texas summers, as well as in the rain during public service events. I'm usually not one to publically endorse a product, but this is one tough radio!
kd5amr

KB1HYR Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2002 14:22 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought my T2H back in March. Being new to the hobby, and to HTs in particular, I certainly found setting up the radio a bit challenging. I think the manual could be more clear. However, since getting used to it, I think the performance of the radio on transmit/receive is simply incredible. Even on NiCD cells instead of NiMH it has great performance. I wouldn't hesitate to buy this again. In fact, I liked it so much I went out and got an Icom HF rig; and was similarly impressed.

W7TDC Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2002 11:01 Send this review to a friend
Great APRS Tracker Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
When I first saw this radio I knew that I needed it. It was small, versitile, rugged, and also not very expensive. I have an APRS tracker that I made and I need a smaller HT to put it in, that put out 5 watts. And for under $100, the T2H Sport was the way to go. I just soldered 2 wires to the contacts on the back of the radio that the battery normally connects to. Then I just plug in wires to the speaker and mic jacks. It works great like that. I also use the same radio in a hidden transmitter I built used for fox hunting. Icom really made a good little radio.

KG6IDP Rating: 1/5 May 23, 2002 01:26 Send this review to a friend
IC-T2H Battery Eliminator  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Several months ago I purchased the IC-T2H and it's great. With (8)1800 Mah NiMH batteries it works well and for the price you can't beat it. However, I was less impressed with the battery eliminator from WW Manufacturing. When I received it I was excited at the prospect of being able to power my IC-T2H from the cigarette lighter of my new mini-van. When I replaced my battery pack with the unit the radio reception was terrible. I put my battery pack back on and everything was clear again. I tried the battery eliminator in my other 2 autos and on a power supply, all with the same results, static. Assuming I had a unit that was defective,I called WW and they promptly sent me a replacement. Again the static was enough to make listening unfeasible. I called WW again and told them that I had gone performed extensive testing under several conditions and still I was having the same problem. I asked them, if they within their battery eliminator a filter, they assured me they did. Upon asking them what I could do the tech then told me that one of the engineers at WW said that the Battery eliminator they sold would not work properly with all frequencies. I told WW's tech that that didn't make sense, after all I never had this problem using the battery pack. I explained that I had installed their unit on 3 other IC-T2H radios with the same results. They said well others aren't having this problem and maybe I should just return it. So I did, realizing they were not interested in making a customer satisfied.

I love my IC-T2H but for the life of me I can't understand why Icom didn't provide a method of using an external power source for the T2H after all didn't they want to sell their adapters? If anyone has a recommendation for an external power source for the T2H other than the battery eliminator sold by WW Manufacturing, please let me know.

73 s to all.

K8DXX Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2002 21:50 Send this review to a friend
Very Pleased  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got back from Dayton where my major purchase was a TH2 Sport (spent my bucks on bigger stuff before the event). It appears to be a good basic radio. I like the 'heft' it appears to have with the batteries installed. Despite tons of RF at the Hamvention as well as in my car, intermod seemed minimal. Like others have said, programming is a bit cryptic but not impossible (had all options set and local repeaters in within 20 minutes... read the directions, too). I am powering mine with eight 1850 mA/h NiMH AA cells. It had plenty of reserve to handle a day of recieve and occasional transmit at the 1 watt level. I really like the economics of the 'AA' cell option.

N1RSR Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2002 00:48 Send this review to a friend
Can't be beat for the price.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had a T2H for awhile so I figure'd I'd drop
some comments on the unit; For the price it's
hard to give this thing any less than a 5, it's
rugged, reliable, comes with a good stock
antenna, and good TX and RX audio. I'm trying
to figure out what kind of problem the earlier
poster had with his audio. The only time the TX
audio gets -bad- is if you get too close to the
mic, it has a tendency to be extra loud. The
solution to that is simple. The only faults I
find with the radio, is that it gets intermod in
some "hot spots" with an external antenna
connected, and the radio is hard to get used to
in terms of programming. But I still give it
a 5 because I wouldn't hesitate to buy another
if I needed to. The versatility offered by being
able to load your own packs is great, I load some
NiMH cells in one pack and nicads in the other
one. The duck antenna is also the best I've
used, for its size. Obviously a tele-whip or
other external antenna will outperform it, but the
ducky isn't a throwaway like those that come with
every other handheld out there.