Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Cushcraft R-6000 Help

Reviews Summary for Cushcraft R-6000
Cushcraft R-6000 Reviews: 71 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $310.00 (Street price)
Description: 6m, 10m, 12m, 15m, 17m, 20m; 3db gain; 1.2:1 typical; 19' tall
More info: http://www.cushcraftamateur.com

You can write your own review of the Cushcraft R-6000.

LA1TNA Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2011 06:36 Send this review to a friend
Still excellent!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I put up my R-6000 over 2 years ago in July 2009. The antenna has been performing very good all the time. I am working DX round the world using only 100 W and my outstanding R-6000.

AB0DV Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2011 15:55 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I was pleased with the assembly and hardware. It went together very well. I have it mounted on a 15 foot mast and have worked all stated bands. Signal reports have been excellent and include DX . I was especially impressed that 6 meters worked well.It has been operational for over 6 months.

K4HQK Rating: 3/5 Jan 20, 2011 17:37 Send this review to a friend
S8 noise, weaker sigs on 20m; high SWR from ice storm continues  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Instructions proved challenging, starting with an error in how the L-brackets were to be installed on the radial ring, and a couple of places where parts numbers were in error. As the QST review said, the instructions needed to be more in depth and provided with check boxes, like the old Heathkit manuals. It took several days but I eventually got it assembled, setting the element lengths for the middle of each band.

When I first raised it (on a mast 9' above ground) SWR was very good on all bands except 15 meters, which required 5" of lengthening.

Listening on-air and switching back and forth between the vertical and several dipoles, there was no difference on 17 and 15 meters, but on 20 meters, the dipole outperformed the vertical by 2 S-units about twice as often as when there was no difference. In no cases did the vertical do better. The vertical's angle of radiation didn't seem a factor, as DX stations were among those weaker on the vertical, not just stations in the U.S. Could this be a design failing of the counterpoise, possibly too short for 20 meters?

On 20 meters, I also have ferocious line noise (S8). The 20-meter dipole's noise level, however, bounces between S2 and S5.

After an ice storm Jan 17/18, SWR went sky-high, of course. Two days later in mild, sunny weather, resonance had returned somewhat, but had gone from mid-band to below the band on 20, 17 and 15 meters. 12 and 10 were unaffected. Three days later, in mild sunny weather, the SWR skew is still like that. I expected it to return to what it had been before ice storm.

My jury is still out on this antenna. It's a nice-looking vertical, but . . . If anyone has suggestions or interpretation, I would love to hear it.

KE7TRP Rating: 4/5 Jan 1, 2011 10:59 Send this review to a friend
Not bad...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this antenna from a local ham who upgraded to the version with 40 meters.

I installed the anntea on a 10 ft roof mount type tower. Only, I mounted the tower at Ground level with concrete blocks. Temporary setup to test antenna. The antenna is about 15 ft high now in the clear.

All bands are usable right out of the box. No issues with SWR. I can cover all of the advertised bands under 1.5 to 1.

I never expected this to work very well. Considering my brother made fun of it calling a dummy load in the sky.

However, On 20 meters it works better then my wire and the Gap vertical. 17 meters has been alot of fun including JA contacts and 0 call contacts from AZ with 100 watts. 10 meters seems to work ok as well. I compared it to a 5/8ths wave 10 meter vertical and had about the same signal.

I have not used any of the other bands yet. I am just happy to have the option of these bands now.

For me, considering the price and the ease of install, this antenna was a good addition to my small lot.

W0DXX Rating: 4/5 Dec 31, 2010 17:04 Send this review to a friend
Quality contol sucks  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I actually own two of these antennas. One for my primary station for 6-20 meter omni vertical and one for my remote mountain cabin. I have had good reports on most bands though I have not really tried it much on the WARC bands yet. Of the two I purchased new they were both missing parts from the get go. Trying to rectify this issue with Cushcraft in a true pain in the a**. When you open one up and your 80+ miles from the nearest hardware store hopefully you have something laying around the shack that may work. I do not run any power thru either one as I have read reports that power causes SWR issues. Will report again after the first year trial period is over. As for Cushcraft, better packaging and QC would never hurt.

LA1TNA Rating: 5/5 Dec 28, 2010 05:12 Send this review to a friend
No problems!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I put up the antenna in July 2009 and till date it has been doing a great job. The antenna is mounted on a mast - 4,5 m from the ground.
The antenna was easy to assemble, I used aluminium pasta in the joints. I have done regular measurements every month on SWR and impedance on all bands and it has been very stable.
See pictures of my R-6000 antenna on my homepage:

F6CYT Rating: 4/5 Feb 1, 2010 04:25 Send this review to a friend
Without problem  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am using a R-6000 since 2007.
It ist up a 4 meters mast on the ground.
4 guys hold in position the top of the mast
4 other guys hold the R-6000 just under the first trap.
The top of traps is protected from rain vith adhesive tape,and spray.
So at this date I never have problem and the antenna make even its job.
In comparison with may old tri-band GP In can't find default.

2EOAKG Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2009 07:32 Send this review to a friend
The Buisness  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got hold of my R-6000 on e-bay for about 100 with postage.Put it up about eight feet from the ground to begin with and got a 59 from a Cuban station on 20 meters using 100 watts.Raised it up to about 15 feet and it works like a dream.We had gusts of wind reaching 60 MPH recently and it swayed like a drunk,but it coped well,no problems with the wind with this one.Get one you wont be dissapointed.A terrific vertical.

K0CWO Rating: 4/5 Aug 22, 2009 08:08 Send this review to a friend
11 years and going  Time owned: more than 12 months
I put this antenna up in 1998. I used Belden 9913 for the feed line. I remember that even with an MFJ antenna analyzer it was quite a chore to get this antenna to resonate where you want it to. After 11 years it still resonates at the points that I adjusted it for. During heavy rain it will detune a little bit but nothing the automatic antenna tuner in my rig won't take care of. This may not be the most efficient antenna, as my doublet outperforms it 90% of the time 20-10 meters. It is however a small foot print antenna that if you can hear them you can work them. I have had no issues with it since new. If I had to replace this antenna today, I'd take a close look at the Hy-Gain AV-620.

M0RJL Rating: 4/5 Jun 29, 2008 12:26 Send this review to a friend
Very good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased this antenna used. Set it up to the instuctions. To make the traps water tight i always use self almalgamating tape. Tried the s.w.r. at 1.5 meters above the ground. S.w.r was very good. I worked 3 stations into Isreal and Algeria and also into much of Europe with just 100watt. The next day it was put up on the mast at 9 meters, s.w.r did not change at all. Other antennas i have owned have been a big problem to tune and have spent much time lifting the mast up and down to tune. Not with the Cushcraft R6000 though. I have only owned this antenna for a few weeks so far but i am very impressed with it. Have had no problems with the s.w.r going up with rain. I have also used my Ameritorn amp with it and have no problems with 400watts into the antenna. It's true what has been said about the R6000 if you can hear a station then you can work it. The reason i have give it a 4 instead of a 5 is because i want to see how it stands upto some strong winds. PS i also have a home brew 20mt dipole. The R6000 beats it every time. 40 & 80 meter i use the dipole but for all the other bands i use the R6000. Trust me if you are thinking of buying one, you will not be sorry.